You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Winter Break Special

On 19/01/2024 at 08:19, razor said:

Loved the nostalgia, and particularly the comparisons made by Paul between the match in the 80s and today.

I started going the match very young - from the late 70s.  I have the full set of programmes from the 78/79 season.  I was very fortunate.

I started going without my dad and with my mates instead about the same time - mid-80s.

Like yourself, Paul, I remember vividly those games when the crowd were chanting 20 minutes before kick off.  That feeling of anticipation was so exciting.  We were so good back then, the connection between the players and crowd was an unbreakable bond.  They made our lives better and we loved them for it.  In turn, they loved us for our unwavering support.

Yes, EVERY player had a song.  We'd sing it, and they'd acknowledge us.  I always remember players like Lawro being gutted if we didn't get to his before we had to kick off.  He seemed to be the player I recall being "missed out" having a clear chant.  But if he'd managed to score a crucial goal away on the Wednesday or whatever, we'd have a go at a chant on the Saturday. 

Even if it was a quiet chant, the players would seemingly listen out for it and couldn't wait to acknowledge it!

Nowadays, a lot of the players acknowledge their families who are in the hospitality parts of the Main Stand.  I remember Phil Thompson used to wave to his brother in the Kop!  Every match.

But yes, there were downsides.  The smell was awful, the fact that your socks were always wet when you got home, and the violence outside the ground.  But these were all just seen as part of the deal of supporting Liverpool.

I do envy you lads who get to see them every week nowadays, as the football is brilliant.  But I also wouldn't swap seeing Kenny, Emlyn, Souey, and my favourite player Stevie Heighway for the world. 

These are impossible comparisons, of course.  But yeah, life, eh.  It's just the way it is.

Boss this.

I started out on the Kop in 1989 so I remember all of this stuff vividly too. The Kop was such a community back then. I was only young so would sit on the bars in front of my dad.

I remember once, Jan Molby got the ball in the middle and whoever was playing right back had made a darting run down the line. I shouted “spread it to him” and Molby hit an inch perfect 50 yarder into his path.

Loads of random arl men around us turned around and gave me money for spotting the pass. I felt 10 feet high, it was boss.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Boss this.

I started out on the Kop in 1989 so I remember all of this stuff vividly too. The Kop was such a community back then. I was only young so would sit on the bars in front of my dad.

I remember once, Jan Molby got the ball in the middle and whoever was playing right back had made a darting run down the line. I shouted “spread it to him” and Molby hit an inch perfect 50 yarder into his path.

Loads of random arl men around us turned around and gave me money for spotting the pass. I felt 10 feet high, it was boss.

Narrator: That might have been the first time random arl men gave Brownie money, but it sure as hell wasn't the last.

• Haha 1