You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) - Mon 1st Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Must be aimed at the virgins all that stuff. 

'Expected goals'? What a load of fucking bollocks.

Expected goals or some variation of this sort of stat are basically the reason we bought your lover Darwin. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Expected goals or some variation of this sort of stat are basically the reason we bought your lover Darwin. 

I assume you have a link to a quote from someone at the club which backs this up?

Not that I'm particularly arsed either way,  most of our scouts & coaches probably get paid more in a week than I do in a year, I'd be expecting them to look at every possible variable they can before spending £65m on a player. 

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

telly clapper nirvana

Speaking of telly Clapper stats, how much of the games do we reckon we are missing these days due to the endless replays they show?

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

Must be aimed at the virgins all that stuff. 

'Expected goals'? What a load of fucking bollocks.

You, Alan Brazil and Jeff Stelling could just use the old terminology of 'he should have scored from there' and then add up the number of times you said it in a game.

(For what it's worth, XG is somewhat flawed).

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

You, Alan Brazil and Jeff Stelling could just use the old terminology of 'he should have scored from there' and then add up the number of times you said it in a game.

(For what it's worth, XG is somewhat flawed).

I'd prefer just to stick a pin in Alan Brazil's giant head rather than waste my time counting pointless things up.

8 minutes ago, John102 said:

Lovely finish from Gakpo too, the way he intentionally scuffs it with the underside of his boot to send the keeper the wrong way/

Yeah clever that. Never see Haaland do it. Just not good enough

1 minute ago, joe_fishfish said:

Also that Jota pen, that's a bit embarrassing. Didn't need to dive. There was contact, yeah, but it was a dive.

He knew he’d pushed the ball too far to be sure of netting, so made the executive decision. Love that sort of mutability, me

• Upvote 3

Anything been said about Szoboszlai?  Was holding his hamstring as he went off. His passing wasn't great today, but the work he put in and his running with the ball were great. Was thinking he'd be the guy to go out right with Salah away, but now I'm a bit concerned.

48 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Who was the crowd booing at full time? Taylor?

Yes, Taylor. Of all the unpopular men out there tonight - Howe, Joelinton, Gordon and others, - Taylor was the most unpopular. The biased Manc cunt. Says everything that the referee gets booed off despite awarding two penalties and us winning 4-2. 

9 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Anything been said about Szoboszlai?  Was holding his hamstring as he went off. His passing wasn't great today, but the work he put in and his running with the ball were great. Was thinking he'd be the guy to go out right with Salah away, but now I'm a bit concerned.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/liverpool-assess-dominik-szoboszlai-injury-following-newcastle-win?fbclid=IwAR2UZJeIG5PfoiwlvsSz7WNR3crc6kkFeAAgVPXW3lQ48V2VLzid-ErB7CY_aem_AR0RDe--vktj2Ok_fDsgcvUSAX5IZF2dAZPyjmHkcSKnIu7RaWQNjZGHF6WdpnL7Cqc

I think Jota probably does exaggerate the fall, call it a dive if you like. But so what? He was clearly fouled and it was a clear pen, and these days we constantly hear that players are entitled to go down if there's contact (never mind contact which the attacker has initiated, clearly not the case here).  Does this unwritten "rule"  (and it's shrugs of acceptance indeed in some cases applauded) not apply to Liverpool players? Funny that, another one of those different rules we seem to have to play by.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I would be guessing in no particular order that Elliott, Jota, Gakpo, Szoboszlai, Diaz and Nunez all can play there. Doak as well of course, dont know when he’ll be back. Perhaps also Jones can play there, even if he’s clearly much better in midfield.

I’d put Diaz there. He played there a bit in his first year and looked good. I think he can go inside or outside from there - not sure the others can.

Don't care if he dived or not, it's not like it was the difference in the match, we twatted them from word go and should have won six-nil.

There's no point worrying about our rep anyway, we take endless shit regardless. Even when we were playing some of the best footy the league has ever seen and were being pipped to the league by a state-owned corruption machine, the 'neutrals' all thought it was funny as fuck.

All we need to focus on is winning. Fuck'em.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

I’d put Diaz there. He played there a bit in his first year and looked good. I think he can go inside or outside from there - not sure the others can.

Wouldn't mind seeing Nunez there, he's looked good whenever he's popped up on the right using his pace. Plus Trent plays that ball over the top to the right so well.

XG is fine for clubs and analytics departments to help in scouting and separate players theyvare looking it. It's FM/FIFA virgins that normally pit out stats and use words like Baller that are the problem. 

• Upvote 2