You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Patriotism, Flags Etc

Bjornebye

Drove through Melling earlier and they've always got union jacks and cross of st george flags about. Even Christmas stuff seems to have adopted this cross thing. What's the point? Who are you telling in Melling where you're from? We all live in the same place? I know the Americans love a flag, it's drummed into them from a young age to be some Stars and Stripes Yankee Doodle fuckwit but who really gives a shit where anyones from? 

I understand sport tribalism because people support different teams but what's with the country flags? I don't get it and think it's very odd. 

Maybe in London I get it but fucking Melling? 

23 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've no problem with either. Humans are tribalistic by nature and people should be proud of where they come from etc.

They can be used as a subtle form of racism though but it can be hard to differentiate. That's the downside.

I've got a feeling the second statement is probably more true. It's quite tory up that way towards Ormskirk. 

Tory Councillors in my town tried to vote through a £9k upgrade to the Mayoral chain last week. Thankfully the Labour lot voted it down. The Tories and Independents (ex-Kippers) were saying that pomp and ceremony are what Britain is all about. 

This is after they’ve been arguing for ages about a £4k donation to the local food bank. I know they don’t have too much money at Town Council level but the Mayor’s chain, fucking hell. Priorities. 

Britannia rules the waves. 

This country is ace:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/30/robbery-trial-abandoned-after-juror-suspected-instead/

A suspected robber has walked free from courtafter a witness claimed a male juror looked like the culprit instead.

Francis McGuire, 39, was accused of targeting homes across Lanarkshire and Glasgow between November 2021 and February 2022, taking £60,000 worth of valuables.

One woman said she had jewellery including a 24-carat gold diamond ring taken from her home. An Audi car, jewellery and cash were also reported stolen in other raids, which were suspected to be linked to organised crime.

Mr McGuire was arrested and went on trial at Hamilton sheriff court, where he denied carrying out the raids.

The case against him collapsed when one witness whose house was broken into said a juror resembled one of three masked men who threatened him.

Maciej Lachowicz, a businessman, had £8,000 worth of valuables and his car keys taken when raiders targeted his home in Glasgow.

One of Mr Lachowicz’s neighbours said they had seen him dragged from the property by three men, one of whom was brandishing a hammer, before the group fled.

But Mr Lachowicz did not identify Mr McGuire in the dock and instead pointed the finger towards a juror, which sparked baffled looks in court.

He said: “He is very like one of these three people.”

Following the incident, the prosecutor, Aga Mathieson, told the court she was no longer seeking a conviction and the sheriff, John Speir, told Mr McGuire that he was free to go.

It is believed the juror in question is not under any investigation. The Crown Office has been approached for comment.

• Haha 1