You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Bjornebye

25 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

It worked in his favour before half time when he opted to go for the corner and they got a Try from it. But I get what you're saying. That early in the game would have had a psychological boost for the team to push on. Hindsight is great.

It's been a bugbear of mine for years, he's done it a million times. Take the 3 points and then get given possession back, another thing I won't miss is him going for Hollywood kicks as soon as we have had advantage. He's done that a million times too.

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

It's been a bugbear of mine for years, he's done it a million times. Take the 3 points and then get given possession back, another thing I won't miss is him going for Hollywood kicks as soon as we have had advantage. He's done that a million times too.

He did a few really stupid things tonight. The pressure simply got to him. Great player for Ireland over the years so I'd never talk down about him but clearly his mind was elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, George Costanza said:

Ireland choke again. 

They really really have someking of mental block in the WC.  Todays game was always going to be tough even against argualbly the worst NZ team at a WC (it is still pretty good though) The game was probably a 60:40 in their favour but its incredible given the quality of their side of the years they've never made it past the QF

I think you had a fired up NZ there, the most entitled side in the world pissed off at being called out and Ireland just needed to turn it up a notch but it wasn't to be. I dont really care who wins now but I think France v Boks will be a brawl so I'll tune in for that

2 hours ago, George Costanza said:

don't understimate Argentina, they've gotten better with ever game and have beaten NZ recently.

The All Blacks have galvanised, and are playing far better rugby than at the start of the tournament, or the buildup to it. Argentina, although much improved, will not beat The All Blacks.

At this stage, only France, with help from the match officials, have a chance of stopping The All Blacks from winning the Rugby World Cup.

4 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

The All Blacks have galvanised, and are playing far better rugby than at the start of the tournament, or the buildup to it. Argentina, although much improved, will not beat The All Blacks.

At this stage, only France, with help from the match officials, have a chance of stopping The All Blacks from winning the Rugby World Cup.

Why with help from the match officials? Nz in recent years with McCaw at the scrum and their decoy runners in the back field have been the biggest cheats going. Do we need the officials to spot their constant cheating?

33 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Why with help from the match officials? Nz in recent years with McCaw at the scrum and their decoy runners in the back field have been the biggest cheats going. Do we need the officials to spot their constant cheating?

Not arguing with you on that score at all, but the officiating will either get it right or get it wrong, and it will affect the outcome. I’m not convinced France will beat the Spring Boks, but if they do, fair play in the final will be absolutely necessary for them to take the cup, and based on that game tonight, France will need all their own discipline.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

The kick to the corner was 100% the right call, Murray's over eagerness to break up the mail, with no option and then run into the middle of the defence and get held up was the blunder. Pure hero ball.

I bet it was a frustrating one for you lads today, but for the vast majority of the second half you were consistently breaking their line. Just a little, but that's when you need to trust in aggressive ball in hand rugby.

The missed pen was shite, mind. Looked a gimme.

NZ not winning the World Cup. Their coverage for irelands tries was abysmal. Real opportunity missed for ireland just not good enough and NZ worthy winners . 

20  mins against 14  men should have sealed the deal . Farrell and his team culpable in not subbing Porter when Barnes had it in his head he was driving in at the scrum . Porter buck stupid to not realise the AB prop was letting him do it because they got penalty after penalty .  Frustrating to watch . Ireland could easily have won the match however in this instance they didn't deserve to. 

SA or France will take NZ out by the root.  

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Who is/are the Irish forwards/lineout/scrum coach/es?

O'Connell is certainly involved. And got shit from Farrell when lineout malfunctioned during South Africa match. So, I'd imagine he may be on his bike... 

They took their time getting set for the lineouts, only to lose out nearly every time anyway. Was that a tactical flaw? Were they outmatched in the lineout? Is lineout strength more a southern hemisphere thing?

34 minutes ago, Trumo said:

They took their time getting set for the lineouts, only to lose out nearly every time anyway. Was that a tactical flaw? Were they outmatched in the lineout? Is lineout strength more a southern hemisphere thing?

Not sure it is really, England haven't been great but the lineout is one thing that has worked well