You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

And in 3 weeks there'll be another bunch of injuries. Also, after 4 months out, while robbo might be back in training in 3 weeks, it would seem pretty unlikely he will be ready to play. 

And by Feb, we'll be informed thiago is only a.month away from rejoining training and everything is good. 

Sure but we can’t just guess where injuries will be. Think Klopp and the club have proven they only move for players where there is an identified gap and where the players they’ve identified are available.

Were very rarely reactive in that way. 
You’d think a cb would come along in the summer but then again, quansah is clearly highly rated and they may deem that a returning matip as 4th choice plus utility Joe Gomez is fine. Bradley looks like he will be the Trent cover.

I actually don’t know if we’ll even do a lot of business this summer…depends on whether anything happened with Mo (who I think will stay) so the summer transfer thread could be a funny one

1 minute ago, etho said:

Sure but we can’t just guess where injuries will be. Think Klopp and the club have proven they only move for players where there is an identified gap and where the players they’ve identified are available.

Were very rarely reactive in that way. 
You’d think a cb would come along in the summer but then again, quansah is clearly highly rated and they may deem that a returning matip as 4th choice plus utility Joe Gomez is fine. Bradley looks like he will be the Trent cover.

I actually don’t know if we’ll even do a lot of business this summer…depends on whether anything happened with Mo (who I think will stay) so the summer transfer thread could be a funny one

Of course you can't guess when injuries will be, but you need to plan for them and they do and will happen. It's not something unique to Liverpool, all clubs have injuries and it's why you carry a squad. The squad looked a little short before the season started and matip and thiago are effectively finished at the club now. I see no reason why we can't address these positions now rather than in the summer - it's just the difference of 6 months investment brought forward. 

36 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah agreed. Can even be someone just for the short term. 

There are two major signings that we need to be making in the next year or two - replacements for Virgil and Mo, and they need to be absolutely top notch. If we have the chance to sign someone we think could be at that level, we need to do it when we can.

This is right in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

IMG_0683.png

A real shame Mourinho didn’t manage to get dier for 40m when he wanted him at Man U. Him and Maguire at the back for them would be golden

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Of course you can't guess when injuries will be, but you need to plan for them and they do and will happen. It's not something unique to Liverpool, all clubs have injuries and it's why you carry a squad. The squad looked a little short before the season started and matip and thiago are effectively finished at the club now. I see no reason why we can't address these positions now rather than in the summer - it's just the difference of 6 months investment brought forward. 

Watch out, Scott may think you are being dramatic to make such outlandish claims.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Watch out, Scott may think you are being dramatic to make such outlandish claims.

If you bother to engage your brain and read & digest the majority of posts in here, you’ll see that the vast majority of posters, including myself, have all said Mario’s replacement should be brought forward to this window.

We’ll disagree on the how and whys, we all agree on the overall principle. 

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If you bother to engage your brain and read & digest the majority of posts in here, you’ll see that the vast majority of posters, including myself, have all said Mario’s replacement should be brought forward to this window.

We’ll disagree on the how and whys, we all agree on the overall principle. 

Luigi?