You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: We have to compete against the big spenders in our own way

TLW

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Which is what I read but you have to go looking for it and still doesn't have the questions asked.

Once that get's chunked up for clicks it becomes three or four sentences.

for example get's universally ignored from Klopp's comments because it's less easy to sell the Klopp's finally losing patience and speaking out narrative (even though Klopp takes some of the responsibility for our transfer dealings).

On that we agree - it caters to the short attentions spans online and of course the need to create drama to get clicks...

40 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

You've missed the news, it was a fake bid, a bid for PR to appease those speaking out because nothing appeases those people like the failed purchase of a player.

We shouldn't be skint and that's the point. 

We had an official bid of 110m+ accepted.

But the likelihood of it actually going through was zero, which FSG knew all along...these are not mutually exclusive so not sure why that's so difficult to comprehend.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Last time I checked Klopp hadn't complained about West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs or Villa.

His 'beef' has always been against those who are, or at least appear, to be stretching the rules.

It's the same reason he doesn't go in as hard on Utd.

But they have been regularly outspending us. Complaining about state owned clubs is pointless.

The issue is we dont do enough. West Ham sold Rice and went out and reinvested in what they needed. They have signed Kudus for 38 mil, Alvarez, Ward Prowse.

On the back of an already thin squad weve brought in three players. We are already behind from previous tarnsfer windows and we will be behind again come january and next summer.

We dont act like the club we are supposed to be.

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Last time I checked Klopp hadn't complained about West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs or Villa.

His 'beef' has always been against those who are, or at least appear, to be stretching the rules.

It's the same reason he doesn't go in as hard on Utd.

I think the point is how are the above clubs regularly spending more than us despite not being state owned...

5 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

I think the point is how are the above clubs regularly spending more than us despite not being state owned...

• Not being state owned
  • Not being in the Champions League or Europe
  • Not having the same revenues
  • Not having the same pull globally
  • Not being one of the richest clubs in the world

There's a list to chew over.

but the answer is simple, the owners of those clubs want to set themselves up to do the very best they can achieve. On field performance comes first and business is second. We are run business first, competitiveness second.

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

• Not being state owned
  • Not being in the Champions League or Europe
  • Not having the same revenues
  • Not having the same pull globally
  • Not being one of the richest clubs in the world

There's a list to chew over.

but the answer is simple, the owners of those clubs want to set themselves up to do the very best they can achieve. On field performance comes first and business is second. We are run business first, competitiveness second.

Regular CL finals, yet no money.

35 minutes ago, an tha said:

This is a bit deeper not sure if is all of it like but still....

We have our situation," said the Reds boss. "There was one year when money was less of an issue because Phil (Coutinho) went to Barcelona and we could do two sensational transfers. But we always spend over the years when we have to improve. From the team when I arrived here eight years ago, there's only Joe Gomez left. There has been a lot of business and we've had to do it our way.

"Since I've been here, we have had to (live within our means). The club has had to, and of course that doesn't make it easier. The problem is not our situation, it's just in comparison to the other main teams. We have to be on point. That's pretty much the thing. There is not a lot of space for failure.

"We cannot put sticks around the area and hope that nobody will run through. That’s how it is. I have no problem with that. We do really well, and as long as it is all by the rules I have no problem (with the spending of other clubs)."

Klopp added: "Other teams will do their things. In the end it’s the circumstances, they might be different but it’s all about what you make of it. That's where we try to make a difference in a positive direction but we will see. I want to improve the squad, I absolutely do. But I have all the information around and I know what is possible and not possible, and it's not always exactly what I want.

"But it is not my job to complain, it is my job to take the team we have at the end of the transfer window and make the best of it and not sitting here thinking (grumbles) 'oh they have this and they have that'. That's how I understand it.

"I’m pretty sure there are always heated discussions in the market and I can’t remember a transfer window where every single person was happy with the window we had. Everyone always says ‘we should do this, we should do that, another centre-half and another number six and another number eight and another striker’.

Well if nothing else at least this bit finally puts to bed that old argument about whether we had to sell to buy Coutinho/van Dijk (and Alisson).

It's clear to spend big we have to sell big, which for a club who's been recent CL winners, regulars in CL finals and PL winners is never not alarming, we must be pretty badly run.

53 minutes ago, Mook said:

Blasphemy I know but I get a bit fed up with Klopp's chat these days. Not entirely his fault as he constantly has a microphone stuck in front of his coupon but the stuff I see, I could do without seeing.

Yes. It's extremely boring to constantly hear about being realistic, we cannot do what other clubs do etc

When we are the 3rd richest club in the world and put in a £111m bid this summer. Followed by surprise surprise, not spending much.

He will continue to support the club and will keep saying the same thing everytime he is asked but it's just tedious and boring.

54 minutes ago, Mook said:

Blasphemy I know but I get a bit fed up with Klopp's chat these days. Not entirely his fault as he constantly has a microphone stuck in front of his coupon but the stuff I see, I could do without seeing.

Lost the champions league final due to disastrous goalkeeping, slapped 70m on the table to get the best keeper in the business, then immediately won the champions league.

I don’t think there are any lessons to be drawn from that, let’s move on. 

Just now, Carra_is_legend said:

4th then? 5th? Has the list changed since Deloitte published it?

How about one of the richest clubs in the world then?

Deloitte publish a list of clubs with the highest revenue, that's not the same as richest but is often reported as richest because it reads better as a headline despite it being innacurate.

It's all a bit brexity.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So did we have 111m to spend or didnt we?

Because according to Jurgen we cant compete. So which is it?

Yes, we submitted a bid to Brighton that was accepted, he also said that they'd pushed the limit of what they could do with that bid.

What it doesn't mean is that money is available to throw around and overspend on every player who's club might want an extra 5 million because very little in life works that way.

What the structure of that bid was is as important as the final amount.

• Upvote 1