You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Saudi Pro League

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I don't think the Saudi league takes him, they will probably make a point of not taking him. Not sure they would be interested in a man that allows a woman talk back to him like that.

Battered wives is a hallmark of British culture, not sure they would be interested in a man who does that...

25 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Anyone actually seriously watch or care about that league?

MLS is growing far more and to the point where its going to be on more peoples radar. 

The Athletic are all in. All their stories are about Saudi Arabia, Wrexham and Messi in Miami.

Might be time to cancel my sub. But if I wasn’t reading those I’d probably be on here more and nobody wants that. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Anyone actually seriously watch or care about that league?

MLS is growing far more and to the point where its going to be on more peoples radar. 

There have been 141 posts on this thread in the past calendar month,  which, without context, could lead one to believe that there is a level of interest in the actual league and the football there.

However, over a third of those posts were made by a single poster and another large portion of them were replies to that same poster, with little in the way of discussion on the players or the games. On two occasions, there were no posts in the thread for two weeks, and the same poster has revived it from the ashes of page 2 of the FF.

I suspect the football will generate little if any level of interest here, but the economic impact on clubs and transfers, any attempts to infiltrate European competition and the geo-political discussions will bring it back to page 1 intermittently

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The Athletic are all in. All their stories are about Saudi Arabia, Wrexham and Messi in Miami.

Might be time to cancel my sub. But if I wasn’t reading those I’d probably be on here more and nobody wants that. 

If I'm reading this right then it sounds like 'The Athletic taking dirty cash to promote shite', but I doubt they'd ever do that.

59 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If I'm reading this right then it sounds like 'The Athletic taking dirty cash to promote shite', but I doubt they'd ever do that.

You reckon? Owned by the New York Times, isn’t it? I’ve been assuming that their US subscriber base was increasing, and their “soccer” stuff was being read more, so they’re catering to that. They can’t mention any American players without including “USMNT”

It would be nice if we could have their UK journalists back doing what got them all the job in the first place. 

18 minutes ago, Aventus said:

The Saudi government. 

I’m sure you realize that it is completely your choice whether you want to:

- Use this thread to criticize governments or

- Use it to discuss football; or

- Completely ignore it

The only thing that is not welcome anywhere is cultural stereotyping. Mentally sick posters who do it will have to accept my wishes to get well soon.

Simple really.

Interest in the Saudi league will be limited to people in that region who watch it anyway, those in that region with a passing interest now more interested because of the signings, the new breed of player supporters who follow the likes of Messi/Ronaldo more than they follow a specific club and a tiny proportion of people who like watching as much football as they can.

It'll be no different to China or the US despite the money they're pumping in.

With the Asian CL having a 5 foreign player rule it'll be interesting to see if the  manage to petition for a rule change and if they successfully manage to get a team in the European CL how they comply with FFP.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Interest in the Saudi league will be limited to people in that region who watch it anyway, those in that region with a passing interest now more interested because of the signings, the new breed of player supporters who follow the likes of Messi/Ronaldo more than they follow a specific club and a tiny proportion of people who like watching as much football as they can.

That’s a population of 400 million people you’re talking about there. Big target market in itself.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It'll be no different to China or the US despite the money they're pumping in.

The difference is that Saudi is a country with a very strong football culture, unlike USA or China. Fans are already heavily invested in their clubs and rivalries.