You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

8 minutes ago, niallers said:

Would a year out of Europe be such a bad thing, squad wise? Like leaving a field lie fallow,our longer term members could do with 1 game a week for most of the season. Proper go at the league then, depending on incoming additions of course. 

The proper European Cup or nothing. It's our only hope of competing domestically. Even if we were playing a second string side, having to play Thursdays would still destroy our chance of momentum. 

Still, our injury bay is putting together a nice, balanced little side: Konate, Van Dijk, Arthur, Jota, Firmino, Diaz. I reckon they'd still beat the rest of the squad in a practice match even now. 

Just realised Arsenal are running away with the league despite playing Thursdays. Still, I've no confidence that we could mix both. 

The uefa cup next season might be our best route back into the european cup.

If it ends up we are indeed in it we should not turn our noses up at it and it is better than no european footy at all and as say it could represent our best chance of getting back in the european cup - if we miss out this season.

Should be able to negotiate the group stage without using key men and that gives valuable game time to fringe players/kids.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I am not saying I don't trust Jurgen's pronouncements on injuries, but he suggested Gianluca Vialli would be back in full training before the Brighton cup game.

I heard him say he fully expects Jean-Michel Ferri to recover from invisibleitis for the Real Madrid 2nd leg

• Upvote 1

Things that annoy:

- our players getting injured

- the sheer volume of injuries

- the sheer frequency of injuries

- short-term knocks turning into long-term absences

- the fitness and medical department seemingly being gutted of experience and expertise

- injury news getting leaked on Twitter

- the club updating on injuries about 3 weeks later

There might be some more.

• Upvote 1

“Generally it’s looking better. The boys are training, Diogo Jota had a full session with the team this week but then the next day had again a rehab session, not because of the session the day before, it was just part of the plan. I think he will be back in normal training next week.

“Bobby is getting closer obviously, very good. Luis is running now, it will take a few weeks still but he is now out on the pitch as well running, which is really good. 

“Ibou is out. Virgil is getting closer, but not ready for the [Wolves] game obviously. Parts of training, I think, next week as well for Virgil. I think there is nothing else so far, but there’s still two hours before training so a lot can happen.

Looking ahead to the Madrid game, there is a good chance that Jota will get game time next weekend and Virgil will play v Newcastle. Firmino should also be available. 

Madrid have had a few injuries over the past few weeks but most are back. Alaba Vasquez and Mendy are still out while Militao and Benzema went off injured last night. I don't know how serious they were. 

On 31/01/2023 at 13:51, an tha said:

The uefa cup next season might be our best route back into the european cup.

If it ends up we are indeed in it we should not turn our noses up at it and it is better than no european footy at all and as say it could represent our best chance of getting back in the european cup - if we miss out this season.

Should be able to negotiate the group stage without using key men and that gives valuable game time to fringe players/kids.

A season out of Europe allows the owners to let keita and Chamberlain leave, extend milner for one more season and go with what remains of the current midfield. Maybe get someone new if they can flog fabinho. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool's preparations for Monday's Merseyside derby clash with Everton continued at the AXA Training Centre on Thursday afternoon.

The Reds undertook their latest session in Kirkby ahead of the Premier League encounter at Anfield.

Four of Jürgen Klopp's senior players made a return to the training pitch after injury lay-offs, with Diogo Jota, Virgil van Dijk, Roberto Firmino and Arthur Melo all taking part ahead of the fixture.

Thiago Alcantara was not pictured during training and was instead undertaking his own individual training programme

With four days to go until the Merseyside derby, Thiago was working towards his own tailored regime ahead of what is expected to be a return to team training later this week.

See you in April, Thiago lad...

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Thiago Alcantara was not pictured during training and was instead undertaking his own individual training programme

With four days to go until the Merseyside derby, Thiago was working towards his own tailored regime ahead of what is expected to be a return to team training later this week.

See you in April, Thiago lad...

He's worried in case the squad's shitness is contagious.  

• Haha 2