You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) - Sat 1st Oct 2022 (3:00pm)

Trumo

22 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Nunez only playing a couple of minutes is weird indeed but There may be a reason, not good enough ? He’s been poor so far.

He just hasn't had a chance to build any understanding and get any rhythm and the rest of the team have not had a chance to get used to him either.

Part of this is his own fault - copping a 3 match ban - we then faced challenge of getting him into an unsettled misfiring team, not an easy thing to do.

Style of play, understanding, link ups etc etc.

Then we end up with games called off after some old woman croaked and of course with our luck we cop 2 off.....then there is a break for poxy international shite and he goes away for that and our medical team advise Klopp upon his return not to start him.

It has all just been a set of shite circumstances - we need to call it day 1 from here with him now and hopefully with games coming thick and fast over next month he can start to accumulate minutes and the understandings etc can be formed.

Of course just as hopefully it all starts to click we have to stop again for weeks on end for that pile of shite in Qatar!

• Upvote 4

We have fucked up royally on Nunez- defend him all you like, he was 6th choice today and deemed worthy of around 6mins at home to Brighton.

Something is seriously wrong there.

Klopp seems to be trying to let us know but FSG will not look on it favourably and I guess rightly so- you dont take 60-80m gambles- they have to be bankers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Einch said:

Are some of the players prioritising the World Cup? I’m looking at Van Dijk and Fabinho primarily. 

To be honest I wish I thought they were but there was a point in the first half where I think Trossard went round Hendo like he wasn't there. 

Hendo looked like the old guy on the Sunday League pitch who comes up against the 19 yr old pacy winger and just doesnt know what to do. Got the same feeling with Thiago and Fabinho.

Trent, well he just looked a mile off it for much of today. I don't think it's arrogance, he just doesn't look right. I really thought he would come out all guns blazing after the stuff with England but there was a period in the 2nd half where he looked like he wasn't sure how to trap the ball. Fortunately he improved after the corner which we scored from (even then he looked miserable). 

I was really concerned how we just seemed unable to play with any tempo at all until Diaz came on. 

I think if you offered me top 4 now I would bite your hand off. Hopefully it is all a blip and Jürgen gets us flying again soon. 

In all of this I just hope the ire of the fans doesn't move towards Jürgen. While he is not perfect I cannot help but feel that we last took risks like this in squad depth etc in Jan 21 and we got away with it because Jürgen showed his brilliance (and we had a huge slice of luck). Most people would have said "phew, got away with one, what can we do to avoid that happening again" but with our owners it feels like it emboldened them to take those types of risks again. 

If the blame lies anywhere it's with them. For ensuring that without adequate investment in backups/replacements, Jürgen has very little choice but to play the usual suspects over and over and over again. Sure he can change formations but when they are as knackered as they currently seem would that really make much difference? 

A number of them looked like traffic cones at times today. 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Dave D said:

We have fucked up royally on Nunez- defend him all you like, he was 6th choice today and deemed worthy of around 6mins at home to Brighton.

Klopp seems to be trying to let us know but FSG will not look on it favourably and I guess rightly so- you dont take 60-80m gambles- they have to be bankers.

FSG are complete bankers. I can confirm that.

43 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Klopp said before the match that Nunez had come back from the international games, wasn't 100% & the medical people advised that he shouldn't be starting the game. Claiming he was 6th choice today is a bit hysterical.

Klopp has to take a lot of responsibility here though, clubs like Napoli & Ajax lose half their team in the summer there and start the season like a freight train whereas we buy a new striker & need to wait weeks for Klopp to bed him in seemingly while everything else falls apart. 

He needs to get it sorted and soon or this season will be over before we get to the World Cup.

• Upvote 3

After it went 0-2 down and up to when we went 3-2 up, I felt we looked a bit more like it and had Brighton pretty much under control. It was a case of could we get the goals to get us back into it and maybe get ahead and take the points without conceding again.

But after the third goal of ours, Brighton began to dominate, assisted by us panicking and lashing at clearances which put us under more pressure, and it’s here that I’m most concerned. We are good enough to hold onto a lead like that should the need arise, but it appears that our players don’t trust or believe that is the case.

It has to be a hangover from last season and losing those two main trophies, because I can’t figure out any other reason save for the usual lack of finances to buy new players to help keep the momentum going.
Much more and it’ll appear that there’s no answer and that’s when people will start looking at the manager and comparing notes with his Dortmund days.

He doesn’t deserve that as we should all agree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, George Costanza said:

The league season is virtually all over now. We probably need to concentrate on the cups already.  Two must win CL games coming up.  Anything less than 6 points & it'll be Thursday night football again.

Winning the Europa league is probably the best way we have of qualifying for the Champions League next season!

1 hour ago, George Costanza said:

The league season is virtually all over now. We probably need to concentrate on the cups already.  Two must win CL games coming up.  Anything less than 6 points & it'll be Thursday night football again.

I disagree. We need to concentrate on getting top 4. Concentrating on domestic cups wont entice the better players we need to come here and wont get us CL qualification..

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

We seem to have changed our transfer strategy to going after the top young players in Europe. Touchemi, Nunez and Bellingham were really highly rated and we tried to get all three of them.

The problem with young players with potential is that you never can tell if they will kick on or not. For every Rooney there's an Owen, for every Buffon there's a Kepa.

The Nunez transfer just looks more baffling by the day. He's basically the Origi replacement, except we spent a potentially record fee on him!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I disagree. We need to concentrate on getting top 4. Concentrating on domestic cups wont entice the better players we need to come here and wont get us CL qualification..

Win the CL or Europa League gets CL qualification

League rarely lies & we don't have the quality anymore imo.  Cups are a lottery that we can take advantage of

47 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Win the CL or Europa League gets CL qualification

League rarely lies & we don't have the quality anymore imo.  Cups are a lottery that we can take advantage of

The cups beget the league, and no matter how well we progress in the cups we will never be in a position where Klopp is allowed to rest players in the league.  

I don't even think we have a punchers chance in the CL, perhaps not even the Europa. We'll come up against better drilled teams than we will in the league. 

Top 4 needs to be the priority. 

I want to see kids in the cups, not just to save the legs of players but to try and jolt some life into the ghost town that is our u21 team.  For Christ's sake there must be SOME utility players capable of coming through if we accelerate their development? 

7 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

We seem to have changed our transfer strategy to going after the top young players in Europe. Touchemi, Nunez and Bellingham were really highly rated and we tried to get all three of them.

The problem with young players with potential is that you never can tell if they will kick on or not. For every Rooney there's an Owen, for every Buffon there's a Kepa.

The Nunez transfer just looks more baffling by the day. He's basically the Origi replacement, except we spent a potentially record fee on him!

You can’t compare Owen with Kepa, mate, it’s not serious !

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Nah, Mane could go as well.  

This whole shitshow seems to have unravelled from the moment Klopp played favourites with wages.  There's a bad stink coming off the team, it's not right, it's deeper than form or fitness. 

Salah has been well and truly sussed, out by even the poorest defenders.

10 hours ago, Dave D said:

Nunez was a player Klopp wanted, I'd wager that while he would have been a player we were watching he's not one we were actively looking to sign until his intervention because he doesn't match the kind of attacker we look at usually.

The minute Nunez starts being seen as a club signing is the time it's really finished for him.

It's funny how we've been brainwashed to think over the last 20 years that finishing top 4 is the be all and end all, because it brings in money and attracts top players.

But then we don't spend any of the money and don't go after any top players anyway.

Winning the league Cup and fa Cup last season was what footy is all about. Beating the mancs in Cardiff in 2003 is still one of my best footy memories and that was only the league cup.

Just fixating on top 4 in perpetuity with the promise of good times that never follow is just a form of footballing limbo made palatable by good marketing from the money men.

It's a horrendous way to follow football, in all honesty. Always being a nearly manly, deliberately only ever just doing 'enough' and being happy with it.

• Upvote 4