You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich (H) - Sat 19th Feb 2022 (3:00pm)

Trumo

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Correct. No one is claiming Hendo doesnt have poor games but he didnt have a poor game today. As Jurgen keeps saying, Hendo's problem is he isnt Steven Gerrard.

He had a good second half, or rather a good game after Thiago came on.  He set up two goals, so that's not a bad afternoon's work.

He wasn't the worst of our midfield in the first half, but he wasn't the best either. 

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

He had a good second half, or rather a good game after Thiago came on.  He set up two goals, so that's not a bad afternoon's work.

He wasn't the worst of our midfield in the first half, but he wasn't the best either. 

Absolute bollocks. He was good all game. Ignore what you want but you lump on him every game from the kick off. So, I'll just ignore the verbage you post.

I think the idea that Hendos problem is he isn't Steven Gerrard is bullshit. Generally peoples view is a reflection of how he's played. He's nowhere near Gerrards level I dont think anybody has ever expected him to be. You'll always get extreme opinions that go too far one way or the other, if his problem is he isn't Steven Gerrard then every single players problem is they're not someone better. It's a soundbite.

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the idea that Hendos problem is he isn't Steven Gerrard is bullshit. Generally peoples view is a reflection of how he's played. He's nowhere near Gerrards level I dont think anybody has ever expected him to be. You'll always get extreme opinions that go too far one way or the other, if his problem is he isn't Steven Gerrard then every single players problem is they're not someone better. It's a soundbite.

Gerrard was unique.  We won't see another player like him.  We just want our midfield to be as good as our attack and our defence.  It's a big ask, but we're getting there.

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Absolute bollocks. He was good all game. Ignore what you want but you lump on him every game from the kick off. So, I'll just ignore the verbage you post.

You should put me on ignore.  But I haven't had a go at him about today.  He did well in the second half. I though Keita had a better first half.

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

Wrong room, this is the bi-daily meeting of the Superfan Daisy Chain.

All those 'superfans' who weren't being hysterical bed wetters and bitching about our best manager since Paisley with half an hour left to go at home to Norwich..... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

All those 'superfans' who weren't being hysterical bed wetters and bitching about our best manager since Paisley with half an hour left to go at home to Norwich..... 

It was an atrocious performance up until those game-changing substitutions, and anyone who denies it needs their head testing. I'm relieved that Klopp recognised his error and that we were able to salvage a victory against the worst team in the league.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

It was an atrocious performance up until those game-changing substitutions, and anyone who denies it needs their head testing. I'm relieved that Klopp recognised his error and that we were able to salvage a victory against the worst team in the league.

68% possession and 15 attempts on goal to their 2 in the 1st half...... "It's on Klopp this blah blah cry cry" 

The subs were superb though. Thiago is the sex. 

2 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Supreme. This should be one of those days you look back on as when a title race changed. Shame we have to rely on Spurs.

Didn’t want to jinx it before City played, but that felt like Villa away 2 seasons ago earlier and it does even more so now.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Well, test my head! Before the subs the performance wasn't great, but only a drama quim would call it "atrocious", or lose sight of the obvious fact that we had plenty in the tank to win that.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Equally, anyone calling that sort of quality teamwork and spirit and dominance coming back from a goal down as "salvage" is maybe taking the piss.

It was a pretty straightforward win. We could’ve been out of sight at half time. We weren’t at our most fluid best, but we were five players short of our best XI. Thiago came on and made a difference. His class is obvious. Surely everyone can see it by now. I get that it can be quite frustrating with his frequent injuries but the man is a n absolute joy to watch. 

We needed to rest players. If anyone suggests we should be trotting out Thiago/TAA/Fabinho etc. in every competitive game we have (league/CL/Cup final/FA Cup) we'll be broken and finished by late March. As it is we get a good rest for a number of key players & have a comfortable win. Job done.

Now all out for the next 2 wins, rest the whole team in the FA Cup and we should hopefully be in good shape for a tough game against West Ham.

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Anybody suggesting Keita was 'abysmal' just doesn't like him.

I felt a bit sorry for Ox, you could see how down he was about his performance.

Hendo was fine, and good from the hour mark onward.

Neither was great in fairness. Keita kept giving the ball away and Ox didn’t see enough of it. 

One day, a curator at the Louvre will showcase an exhibition dedicated solely to the Liverpool goals of Mohamed Salah.

He has 150 now. Visitors can debate the contrasting beauty of each, whether the choreography of his twinkle-toed extraordinaire against Manchester City and Watford earlier this season, or his latest milestone strike against Norwich City, which helped Liverpool through a complicated afternoon.

In its way, Salah’s 25th of the season was as beguiling as any. It began when Alisson Becker kicked 80 yards to the edge of the Norwich penalty area, Salah deftly controlled in an instant, dribbled past the on-rushing keeper Angus Gunn and then did what he has done so often; retained his poise while defenders manically tried in vain to prevent him finding the net. Wrong-footed Norwich defenders ended up on the Anfield turf as Salah rushed to the Kop to celebrate.

With some irony, many of Salah’s team mates dashed to Alisson to credit for the assist. Exceptional though that was, it was a sign that in Salah’s case the amazing is occasionally shrugged off as normal.

Dean Smith and Jurgen Klopp offered a fitting tribute to the latest demonstration of magnificence. Klopp’s mind drifted back to Salah’s first Liverpool goal in August 2017.

“Nobody would have expected when he scored that at Watford that he would score another 149,” said Klopp.

“Today was a really cheeky one. I remember the Chelsea goal, coming inside and the thunderbolt into the top corner, and the Manchester United goal with another assist from Alisson. I can’t remember all 150 of them, but I remember a lot and there are some really special ones.”

With this, Salah joined the esteemed company of Ian Rush, Robbie Fowler and Kenny Dalglish by reaching his landmark. Incredibly, in 233 appearances he did it quicker than them all. Only Roger Hunt, who spent much of his early Kop career in a lower division, has reached the milestone in fewer games than Salah. 

The latest record enabled Liverpool to overcome a scare against the Premier League’s bottom club.

For a while, it looked like Klopp’s side might make a mess of what initially looking destined to be a routine afternoon. When Salah slalomed past Norwich left-back Brendon Williams and covering midfielder Milot Rashica within two minutes, it seemed the theme was set. So too when Mathias Normann blocked a Salah header on the line after 20 minutes.

Norwich’s defenders appeared willing to grant Liverpool attackers more time and space in and around the penalty than was humane for their goalkeeper Angus Dunn.

The opportunities came and went with frequency. Salah kept shooting over with his usually trusted left foot. So did Kostas Tsimikas, included ahead of Andy Robertson, with the home side’s best chance of the first half, somehow missing the target from six yards. Salah, who terrorised poor Williams throughout, was again the provider.

Although Klopp had been forced into several changes - Trent Alexander-Arnold and Roberto Firmino were other notable absentees - there were enough chances to secure a comfortable half-time lead had Liverpool been more lethal.

Everything changed a minute into the second half when Rashica’s deflected shot threatened to deaden whatever pulse had still been detectable in this year’s title race.

Smith’s lament might be that his team scored too soon, as Alisson was wrong-footed by Matip’s boot.

For the second time this week, Klopp summoned a cavalry from the bench - Thiago’s introduction was especially influential -  Liverpool changed to an unfamiliar 4-4-2 and Anfield came to life with two goals in three minutes.

Sadio Mane’s 64th equaliser was spectacular, an overhead kick after Tsimikas’ header into the six yard box. Then Salah notched his latest record, and by the time Luis Diaz underlined his growing status - he is so popular he has already been afforded the Kop chant once given to Luis Suarez - fears of a Kop calamity had been banished. Diaz took his goal marvellously after a thirty-four pass move ended with Jordan Henderson’s exquisite assist.

In truth it was a strange game where the Liverpool goal spree looked inevitable for much of the match but only arrived while the crowd was working its way into a state of panic.

“I am a realist and they deserved it,” acknowledged Smith.

“No disrespect to our opponents but we won’t be coming up against that calibre of opposition in the next few games.”

Liverpool keep finding a way to win. It’s quite the habit in the midst of a season defining schedule. “The situation we enjoy - we have never had it before in all four competitions - so long may it continue that we can play a lot of games,” said Klopp.

“But it is not easy. That is why we changed seven players today. That’s why I expect the boys to listen when I say the next game we play is the most important.”

By full-time the Kop was singing about next week’s Wembley trip, the title race was still, just about, alive and you can be absolutely sure Salah was working out how soon he will get to 200.

This thread, as is the norm for match days on this forum, is a fucking embarrassment.

We totally dominated the game, after a tough European fixture, and turned it around in a way that is expected from us these days.

Chelsea needed a last minute goal and City lost at home.

That's what happens when there are 3 games a week, every week, against teams who do everything they can to beat you.

Of course the subs helped. That's what they're fucking there for, you dickheads!!

We had Adam fucking Lallana coming on to replace the injured Salah in a CL final less than 4 years ago, for fucks sake.

And anyway, it was the change of system that made the real difference.

Gomez was good. Keita was good. Hendo allowed others to create. Salah and Mane are still a little rusty, and Diaz is not only new to this league, he's a new style of player to support them as well.

What the fuck is wrong with people?!?!

Why does everyone have to be either shit or world class!? It's pathetic.

And where does all this expectation for us to batter eveyone come from exactly?

Were you not there during the Souness, Evans, Houllier, Benitez, and Rodgers eras?

When did you last witness consistency like this over a ANY 5 year period?

Never, that's when.

You know how I know?

Because it has NEVER happened, that's how.

The disrespect shown to the manager, the captain, and players who have given everything to the club, makes me honestly question the love and understanding people have for this game.

We've got something really special here, spoiled only by corruption, and we've just had a winger score his 150th goal for us quicker than Dalglish, Rush, Fowler, and Owen.

You keep fucking moaning and criticising players who you honestly don’t deserve to watch play for us, like a bunch of ungrateful and miserable cunts, while most of us get to enjoy it for what it really is.

History in the making. 

Oh, and for all of you 'Man City have already won it' pricks, why don't you go fuck yourselves extra hard today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 20

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

As soon as Thiago came on we started to progress the ball north to south, not simply castrating our forwards by playing soft fucking side to side nothing balls.

Twice you could clearly see him more or less having to tell Henderson to get out of the way, where the latter was looking for the three yard sideways pass. The second time he hit a 50 yarder to Mo which very nearly become an assist. There’s only one flaw, his ability to stay fit. We’re a significantly better team with him playing.

• Upvote 1