You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf - 2022

Captain Turdseye

25 minutes ago, skend04 said:

The PGA and LIV golf are merging. I wonder how much money has been poured into the PGA for this to happen.

Fuckin hell.

In a memo to PGA Tour players on Tuesday, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, Monahan wrote that in addition to making a financial investment in the new entity, PIF would become a premier corporate sponsor of the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and other international tours. Monahan wrote that PIF will make investments to "build an even stronger and more robust commercial business, together" and was committed to "significant financial support toward causes that positively impact the game on a global basis."

Monahan wrote that the PGA Tour would evaluate how "best to integrate team golf into the professional game." He said LIV Golf would complete its 2023 schedule, which resumes later this month in Spain.

I’ll await more details but this feels like the PGA jumping in bed with the devil. 

I bet Rory and the other vocal opponents of LIV aren’t best pleased. Looks like their loyalty has been rewarded with a kick in the mush. A mush that might soon be stuffed with even more money, but still. 

LIV might have had tons of money, but it didn’t have an audience. This was probably inevitable as money always talks.

I’d imagine the likes of McIlroy, Rahm and Justin Thomas are fuming. Shouldn’t the PGA have discussed this with the players before going ahead with it?

I hope the players who signed up to LIV get all the shit in the world from fans at the various tournaments. My opinion of those golfers won’t change.

• Upvote 1

What's particularly sad was that golf was one of the few bigger sports that actually had an element of real competition to it, in that if you didn't play well, you didn't get paid.

At least until the age of endorsements came along, I suppose.

Can't say I'll miss it much.

A penny for the thoughts of loyal PGA tour players after being left high and dry by their own organisation? The PGA has spent the recent past excommunicating LIV players and lecturing the world on the dangers of the Saudi takeover of golf. About the only thing Trump has ever got right, I recall watching an interview with Trump a while back where he predicted this would happen and the PGA tour players would lose out.

I can't say I'd want to be involved with an organisation wholly owned by Saudi Arabia. I assume they'll be seeking to ban the LPGA?

How the fuck did this happen? From a position of strength (winning court battles, etc) to literally handing over the lot to the Saudis. What the fuck? Surely there’s more to come out about this?

Tiger Woods turned down a billion dollars and was publicly against LIV and the Saudis. 

The likes of DJ, Koepka and DeChambeau must be pissing themselves. They’ve been paid absolute fucking megabucks to go on holiday for 18 months. 

8 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

What's particularly sad was that golf was one of the few bigger sports that actually had an element of real competition to it, in that if you didn't play well, you didn't get paid.

At least until the age of endorsements came along, I suppose.

Can't say I'll miss it much.

I haven't watched golf for years,which is a shame as I used to really enjoy it. It seems modern sport in general is poisoned wherever you go.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, A_S said:

Huge news. I figured it might happen eventually, but not this soon!

Going by his moral posing, Rory should probably retire now too, the hypocritical twat.

I don't think he's been hypocritical at all. The opposite in fact. Rory never had a problem with where the money was coming from, he was fine with Saudi money (which annoyed me). He wasn't fine with them ruining golf by taking away some top players to basically play exhibition golf for obscene amounts of cash, fucking up the Ryder Cup, ruining friendships (him and Sergio for example) and threatening the existence of the PGA Tour. This deal they have now, if that had been done in the first place I reckon Rory would have signed up in a heartbeat as he has no moral objection to the Saudis putting money in.

12 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

How the fuck did this happen? From a position of strength (winning court battles, etc) to literally handing over the lot to the Saudis. What the fuck? Surely there’s more to come out about this?

The likes of DJ, Koepka and DeChambeau must be pissing themselves. They’ve been paid absolute fucking megabucks to go on holiday for 18 months. 

There are some similarities here with City and UEFA. The Saudis were prepared to spend billions of dollars on law suits that would go on for years and years. The Tour didn't want to be committed to spending that much on lawyers so they buckled and took the cash instead. Even if they won the legal battles it would cost them so much money it would still be damaging. The Saudis have unlimited funds so don't give a fuck. 

If it goes through (and it still has to be passed by the board which includes McIlroy and other players) the top players will probably end up being compensated for the cash they turned down. Don't feel too sorry for them!

The LIV players then have to apply to join again, and will probably have to hand back some cash or at least forfeit the cash they were owed, as not all of their money was up front. I just don't see how a situation could ever work whereby DJ pockets £200m and gets to come back, while the likes of Rory, Rahm, Hideki who all turned down more money than DJ got, get nothing and have to eat shit and watch as all the LIV cunts swan back in with their pockets full and having suffered no consequences. That just can't work.

15 hours ago, clangers said:

I can't say I'd want to be involved with an organisation wholly owned by Saudi Arabia. I assume they'll be seeking to ban the LPGA?

The Saudis have their claws into women's golf already. They'll plough even more cash into it as part of the sportswashing project. "Look at us, we support women's rights to do whatever they like (just as long as they aren't Saudi women)."

16 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

LIV might have had tons of money, but it didn’t have an audience. This was probably inevitable as money always talks.

I’d imagine the likes of McIlroy, Rahm and Justin Thomas are fuming. Shouldn’t the PGA have discussed this with the players before going ahead with it?

I hope the players who signed up to LIV get all the shit in the world from fans at the various tournaments. My opinion of those golfers won’t change.

LIV was never real. It was all a big bluff just to get to this point. The Saudis wanted to invest in golf and Monahan wouldn't even discuss it with them. So this was what they did to force the issue. LIV was never intended to make any money or to be a success, and they'll probably drop it like a bad habit after this season because nobody watches it.

The players who signed up were mostly the well known cunts. There were very few surprises. They outed themselves for what they are and yeah, I hope they're treated like pariahs if and when they get back in. 

Some of them will be ok. DJ and Brooks are still quite popular with the other players as they never tried to sue the tour and they didn't bad mouth anybody. Phil, Bryson, Poulter, Westwood and especially Garcia, I don't think they'll ever get this stink off them.

I think I'm probably done with it all and will only watch the majors now. These oil cunts are ruining everything. Greed and money fucks everything up in the end, because it always wins.

• Upvote 6

I'm amazed at the figures been banded about. Golf at grass roots level has been struggling for years, a lot of local clubs are on their knee's. What about handing some of cash down to the local clubs. Greedy Fecks.  Garcia and Poulter a prized twats by all accounts.

Barely a day after the PGA Tour shocked the world by announcing it would be joining a for-profit venture with its heretofore hated rival—the Saudi-backed LIV Golf—a Congressional bill has been introduced to strip the tour of its tax-exempt status.

On Wednesday afternoon, Rep. John Garamendi (D-Calif.), the third-ranking minority member on the House Armed Services Committee, proposed the “No Corporate Tax Exemption for Professional Sports Act,” which would end the PGA Tour’s ability to file as an IRS 501-C organization, as it has done for decades.

As Sportico noted in a story published earlier Wednesday, the PGA Tour is one of the last major American pro sports organizations to continue operating as a federal nonprofit, after the NFL voluntarily converted to for-profit status in 2015.

“Saudi Arabia cannot be allowed to sportswash its government’s horrific human rights abuses and the 2018 murder of American-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi by taking over the PGA,” Garamendi said. “PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan should be ashamed of the blatant hypocrisy and about-face he and the rest of PGA’s leadership demonstrated.”

DeChambeau

"I think we’ll never be able to repay the families back for what exactly happened just over 20 years ago.

I think as we move forward from that, we have to look toward the pathway to peace and forgiveness, especially if we’re trying to mend the world and make it a better place. I think this is what they’re trying to accomplish, LIV is trying to accomplish, PIF is trying to accomplish. We’re all trying to accomplish is a better world for everybody with entertainment for everybody around the world.

It’s unfortunate what has happened and something I can’t necessarily speak on. I’m a golfer," DeChambeau added. "But what I can say is that what they’re trying to do, what they’re trying to work on is to be better allies because we are allies with them. I’m not going to get into politics, I’m not specialized in that. What I can say is they’re trying to do good for the world and showcase themselves in a light that hasn’t been seen in a while.

Nobody’s perfect, but we’re all trying to improve in life."

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 08/06/2023 at 01:45, Mathewbet1 said:

I'm amazed at the figures been banded about. Golf at grass roots level has been struggling for years, a lot of local clubs are on their knee's. What about handing some of cash down to the local clubs. Greedy Fecks.  Garcia and Poulter a prized twats by all accounts.

Not to be too picky here but what exactly is 'grassroots' in Golf? I've always envisaged golf as being selective rather than open to everybody at its lowest levels,like Tennis I imagine. My lads played at a local club from about 12 or 13 but I have never felt the sport in the UK has ever been as easy to be involved in as the usual high participation games.

Cost  about 10 quid for a junior membership a year at my local when i was a lad, second hand clubs off my uncle, if you take the home of golf as an example , scotland, golf is/was a working class sport, its these small clubs that are suffering. 

On 09/06/2023 at 19:43, TheHowieLama said:

DeChambeau

"I think we’ll never be able to repay the families back for what exactly happened just over 20 years ago.

I think as we move forward from that, we have to look toward the pathway to peace and forgiveness, especially if we’re trying to mend the world and make it a better place. I think this is what they’re trying to accomplish, LIV is trying to accomplish, PIF is trying to accomplish. We’re all trying to accomplish is a better world for everybody with entertainment for everybody around the world.

It’s unfortunate what has happened and something I can’t necessarily speak on. I’m a golfer," DeChambeau added. "But what I can say is that what they’re trying to do, what they’re trying to work on is to be better allies because we are allies with them. I’m not going to get into politics, I’m not specialized in that. What I can say is they’re trying to do good for the world and showcase themselves in a light that hasn’t been seen in a while.

Nobody’s perfect, but we’re all trying to improve in life."

That's as Bryson as it gets. I miss him. He's a massive tool but he's the content king. Life is duller without him around.

Favourite Bryson quote was a few weeks ago when he was asked about how the weight gain / loss impacted his swing and he said "It doesn't matter what physical form I take, it's all about the ball striking".

A few days later a golf pod that I listen to was talking about his terrible chipping and one of them says "he should just take the physical form of Seve when he's around the green".

• Haha 1