You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (H) - Sat 28th Aug 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

13 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I don’t think he’d have made much difference as there was zero movement from the front 3 again. At least Ox runs behind teams and has a shot which is what we were badly missing.

We just played around & around a big fucking horseshoe all that 2nd half with no one making an option. 

That massive no 9 sized hole in the centre of our attack needs addressing badly. This shit cost us last season on that terrible run at home. 

Apart from the goal against Norwich, Firmino’s been shite in the minutes he’s been on the pitch and offers zero threat. He’s never been the same since Coutinho left. In fact, I’d even bring try & him back on the cheap and that Jovic off Madrid’s bench. That kid knew where the net was before he went to that basket case. 

The space was out wide.  Robbo offered next to nothing and for what ever reason Trent spent most of the second half centrally offering zero as well.  We could not have made that game any easier for Chelsea after they went down to 10.  We knew how they'd play as they were the same from the first whistle.  The timing of the subs as usual was crap.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

What when your playing a top team, your current full back is fucked, making mistakes and first game back after injury? Nearly every time, Id say. but that's just me.

There was 3 minutes to go in a game we should have done more to try and win but that’s just me

1 minute ago, J-V said:

The space was out wide.  Robbo offered next to nothing and for what ever reason Trent spent most of the second half centrally offering zero as well.  We could not have made that game any easier for Chelsea after they went down to 10.  We knew how they'd play as they were the same from the first whistle.  The timing of the subs as usual was crap.

They let us have the space out wide because they knew we had no one to aim at.

5 minutes ago, Red74 said:

How many times do you see managers taking a full back off for an attacker to try and win the game. They’re always the first to come off. You call the game as it’s playing out in front of you. 

We've done it before and still did bugger all for the rest of the match.  If anything Tsimikas has been one of our best players so far this season and should have been on atleast 30minutes earlier.  Any other player we'd have brought on would have just ended up centrally congesting things further.  We simply do not have anyone else worth bringing on out side.

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

There was 3 minutes to go in a game we should have done more to try and win but that’s just me

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Im as frustrated as anyone with the performance. I think overall, we were poor and several players not in the game. We always seem to want to walk the ball into the net with very little shots from the edge of the box. That said, our long range shooting is poor.

Despite being down to 10 men, chelsea posed a serious threat on the break especially in the last 20 minutes when we just had van Dijk or Matip on the halfway line and leaving Lukaku up front.

It's 3rd game of the league season and once again, lots of people look at city's score yesterday and roll their eyes.

1 minute ago, J-V said:

We've done it before and still did bugger all for the rest of the match.  If anything Tsimikas has been one of our best players so far this season and should have been on atleast 30minutes earlier.  Any other player we'd have brought on would have just ended up centrally congesting things further.  We simply do not have anyone else worth bringing on out side.

But this is the point I’m making. I wouldn’t have brought on a wide player as no one was trying to make a run in behind them. They were more than happy watching us going side to side again and again. 

There was a 5 minute spell were we had 3 shots from distance that troubled their keeper. I was made up thinking we’d seen something here but then we just stopped and went back to normal.

Juergens got a long term habit of watching games drift away instead of making changes that’ll have an effect.

Allison got him out of a big hole with that header against West Brom last season as that was going the same way.

16 minutes ago, Red74 said:

How many times do you see managers taking a full back off for an attacker to try and win the game. They’re always the first to come off. You call the game as it’s playing out in front of you. 

To do that you need to go from 433 to 352 or 442. The change of Tsimikas for Robbo should have been around 65 mins for me and was the right move you cant go gung ho against a good side you will be punished.

13 minutes ago, Red74 said:

But this is the point I’m making. I wouldn’t have brought on a wide player as no one was trying to make a run in behind them. They were more than happy watching us going side to side again and again. 

There was a 5 minute spell were we had 3 shots from distance that troubled their keeper. I was made up thinking we’d seen something here but then we just stopped and went back to normal.

Juergens got a long term habit of watching games drift away instead of making changes that’ll have an effect.

Allison got him out of a big hole with that header against West Brom last season as that was going the same way.

We hardly made a "run in behind" the whole game. Mo tried once I think it was and Alonso beat him to the ball.  They're shithouses and came to sit back hit us on the counter whilst feigning injury at any and every opportunity. 

One point that needs making is that Tuchel’s decision not to take off a forward was totally vindicated. We could never relax because of their threat in the break, and we couldn’t throw everyone forward. 90% of managers take off a forward when a midfielder or defender gets a red in that situation, and it just invites pressure. 

4 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

One point that needs making is that Tuchel’s decision not to take off a forward was totally vindicated. We could never relax because of their threat in the break, and we couldn’t throw everyone forward. 90% of managers take off a forward when a midfielder or defender gets a red in that situation, and it just invites pressure. 

I think it's normally only when a keeper is sent off that most managers would sacrifice a forward. James was right sided wing back so no need to take a forward off in that game.

3 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Don’t think it was that difficult a decision for him to make seeing as he only had one starting anyway.

Kante going off injured done us a massive favour. He was steamrolling our midfielders. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

I don’t think he’d have made much difference as there was zero movement from the front 3 again. At least Ox runs behind teams and has a shot which is what we were badly missing.

We just played around & around a big fucking horseshoe all that 2nd half with no one making an option. 

That massive no 9 sized hole in the centre of our attack needs addressing badly. This shit cost us last season on that terrible run at home. 

Apart from the goal against Norwich, Firmino’s been shite in the minutes he’s been on the pitch and offers zero threat. He’s never been the same since Coutinho left. In fact, I’d even bring try & him back on the cheap and that Jovic off Madrid’s bench. That kid knew where the net was before he went to that basket case. 

Really well put. Also, if we lose the ball at any time while playing it from out wide to deeper centrally and back out wide again we are open to a counter attack and a lot of our opponents are now set up for that. That was a basic pattern during our dreadful run last season. 

Not the end of the world , but all very flat.

We need to get the Robbo / Sadio link working again. Mane has been half his previous self and giving the ball away cheaply , which seems to have meant Robbo isn't confident enough to go past him.which means we have none of our previous thrust down that side.

1 hour ago, J-V said:

We hardly made a "run in behind" the whole game. Mo tried once I think it was and Alonso beat him to the ball.  They're shithouses and came to sit back hit us on the counter whilst feigning injury at any and every opportunity. 

There was no "behind" to run into in the second half. There was just a penalty box packed with a big load of huge, well organised and (let's be honest) talented players, aiming to do nothing but defend.

My main gripe was with the number of long, high balls we played in the first half - as if Harvey and Mo are ever going to win a header against Alonso or Rudiger.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There was no "behind" to run into in the second half. There was just a penalty box packed with a big load of huge, well organised and (let's be honest) talented players, aiming to do nothing but defend.

Exactly.  It was pretty much that way the whole game.