You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All Time TLW XI (Non Liverpool) Team - Centre Midfielders

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yeah if you factor in injuries then fair enough he should be discounted, but just in terms of ability he was definitely on a par with Vieira before he did his ACL imo.

And I am, unfortunately, over 25.

Like I said mate, wasn’t trying to be a prick. 

I agree he was class, I agree I’d have loved him here too. 

He’s just not anywhere near this conversation. 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Like I said mate, wasn’t trying to be a prick. 

I agree he was class, I agree I’d have loved him here too. 

He’s just not anywhere near this conversation. 

Suppose it raises the question of how you measure greatness, and whether fitness/time at the top is something you should factor in. Probably is, tbf.

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Suppose it raises the question of how you measure greatness, and whether fitness/time at the top is something you should factor in. Probably is, tbf.

Id agree it’s a factor yeah. 

But even if it wasn’t I couldn’t see Essien ever being in a conversation with Gullit. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Id agree it’s a factor yeah. 

But even if it wasn’t I couldn’t see Essien ever being in a conversation with Gullit. 

Well no me either, but more because they're different players. Gullit's always been an attacking midfielder to my mind.

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Well no me either, but more because they're different players. Gullit's always been an attacking midfielder to my mind.

Gullit was world class in any position he ever played, possibly the only more versatile player than Gerrard. 

And he ain’t gonna be playing 10 in this side so he’s playing next to Matthaus for me. 

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Just watching a short bit on the Dutch trio at Milan

van Basten cost 1ml in the summer of 87/88

We paid 750k for Aldridge 6 months earlier, now Aldo was great but im now thinking of the 87/88 team with van Basten up top instead. 

Midfield of Houghton,Whelan,McMahon and Barnes with beardsley just of van Basten

or 

--------------------------------------------McMahon

---------------------------------Molby----------------Whelan

--------------------Beardsley--------------------------------Barnes

--------------------------------------------van Basten

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Just watching a short bit on the Dutch trio at Milan

van Basten cost 1ml in the summer of 87/88

We paid 750k for Aldridge 6 months earlier, now Aldo was great but im now thinking of the 87/88 team with van Basten up top instead. 

Midfield of Houghton,Whelan,McMahon and Barnes with beardsley just of van Basten

or 

--------------------------------------------McMahon

---------------------------------Molby----------------Whelan

--------------------Beardsley--------------------------------Barnes

--------------------------------------------van Basten

Rush is my hero, but van Basten was something else again. 

Injuries didn’t just rob him, they robbed the world. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

I mentioned this tournament to my Dad, he said Didi would be his first pick for centre midfield. 

0D50F038-43E7-456A-BDCF-93F087078157.jpeg

Yeah he was supposed to be the man before Pele

Probably played 10 years to early and never got a chance at Real as di Stefano was put out as some fans turned their attentions away from him to Didi so he was forced out after a year. There was a few who don't get remembered from them Real sides outside of Spain. Gento,Raymond Kopa being two others

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Dropping Ballack won Germany the World Cup.

He already retired then no? Ballack carried an average Germany team all the way to the final in 2002. He was an excellent midfielder until he moved to Chelsea where he became just a good midfielder.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

He already retired then no? Ballack carried an average Germany team all the way to the final in 2002.

He an excellent midfielder until he moved to Chelsea where he became just a good midfielder.

Oliver Khan would have something to say about carried them

He became  just a good midfielder because of Lampard imho. 

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He played either no 10 or RM at his peak didn’t he?

9 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He started as a sweeper

Was supposed to replace Wilkins at Milan, Sacchi played him behind van Basten as did Holland. Moved to Sampdoria and play as a deeper midfielder with Jugovic and then as a sweeper for Chelsea. 

He liked playing as a sweeper but Milan had Baresi, tbe Dutch Koeman and needed him elsewhere. 

His son is just about to play his first season for AZ. I say buy the kid now

Dad - Gullit

Mum - neice of Cruyff

Thats some football DNA

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Nobody says he was, or that Gerrard wasn't the standout Premier League midfield player, but Essien was incredible for a couple of years and it goes largely unacknowledged.

Injuries did him dirty, or he'd be more fondly remembered.

I hate him for his tackle on Hamman. We should have got him before Chelsea did. 

11 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah he was supposed to be the man before Pele

Probably played 10 years to early and never got a chance at Real as di Stefano was put out as some fans turned their attentions away from him to Didi so he was forced out after a year. There was a few who don't get remembered from them Real sides outside of Spain. Gento,Raymond Kopa being two others

In Garrincha’s book (well worth the read) the issues between Di Stefano and Didi are referenced. He was obviously a top player and very decent chap as well.

Gento and Kopa not remembered! Not sure I completely agree with you there (particularly Gento). Perhaps their legacy has dimmed slightly, given the passage of time, but they were both integral components of one of the greatest ever Club sides.