Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dave u

Golf thread / my new project

Recommended Posts

Since I stopped writing for ESPN I was looking for some other freelance work to make up for the loss of income. I didn't really want to do any more footy writing as I prefer just being able to write whatever I like and to not have to worry about editorial policies, so TLW suits me perfectly on that front. I don't think anywhere else is letting me use the phrase 'slobbering goon'.

 

Anyway, I've landed a nice gig reviewing golf equipment for T3.com and I'm also intending to do a golf youtube channel. I'm working on that, but unless I can get more comfortable in front of the camera that's never going to see the light of day! Hopefully I can solve that problem as I've got good ideas for interesting content. I just don't know if I can pull off the presentation.

 

So I'm starting this thread for any golfers on here and for anyone that wants to support me just by following the social media accounts and then - if and when the time comes - liking/subscribing/sharing the videos.

 

I'll post some of the links for the golf stuff I've reviewed, so any clicks would be appreciated as if they're getting good views that's obviously helpful to me.

 

The youtube channel is called Bang Average Golf TV but there aren't any videos on there yet. I'll post the link to subscribe if/when there's anything to subscribe to.

 

There's an instagram account - https://www.instagram.com/bangaveragegolftv/

 

Twitter - https://twitter.com/GolfBang

 

and the website which isn't finished but will be soon - https://bangaveragegolf.co.uk/

 

 

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dave u said:

Since I stopped writing for ESPN I was looking for some other freelance work to make up for the loss of income. I didn't really want to do any more footy writing as I prefer just being able to write whatever I like and to not have to worry about editorial policies, so TLW suits me perfectly on that front. I don't think anywhere else is letting me use the phrase 'slobbering goon'.

 

Anyway, I've landed a nice gig reviewing golf equipment for T3.com and I'm also intending to do a golf youtube channel. I'm working on that, but unless I can get more comfortable in front of the camera that's never going to see the light of day! Hopefully I can solve that problem as I've got good ideas for interesting content. I just don't know if I can pull off the presentation.

 

So I'm starting this thread for any golfers on here and for anyone that wants to support me just by following the social media accounts and then - if and when the time comes - liking/subscribing/sharing the videos.

 

I'll post some of the links for the golf stuff I've reviewed, so any clicks would be appreciated as if they're getting good views that's obviously helpful to me.

 

The youtube channel is called Bang Average Golf TV but there aren't any videos on there yet. I'll post the link to subscribe if/when there's anything to subscribe to.

 

There's an instagram account - https://www.instagram.com/bangaveragegolftv/

 

Twitter - https://twitter.com/GolfBang

 

and the website which isn't finished but will be soon - https://bangaveragegolf.co.uk/

 

 

 

This is a shit idea and you are a twat.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have put money on you being one of the first to reply, and I'd also have doubled down on the bet by saying the response would be along those lines.

 

Alles ist gut will be next saying something like 'top top fancy sat nav watch analysis'.

 

I know this forum and its inhabitants like the back of my hand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've followed the instagram account, do you know there is another 'Bang Average Golfers' account? Is that connected? 

 

Also, trie to click on the website and got this

 

Your connection isn't private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from bangaveragegolf.co.uk (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 My younger cousin was a British Youth Champion in the 90’s. Then he found weed the daft twat. I used to play as a kid with my grandad in Allerton.

Good luck Dave don’t forget to get to know your balls.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I've followed the instagram account, do you know there is another 'Bang Average Golfers' account? Is that connected? 

 

Also, trie to click on the website and got this

 

Your connection isn't private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from bangaveragegolf.co.uk (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

 

There's probably loads of similarly named ones.

 

The website just needs an SSL certificate I think. It's on the to do list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave would you recommend picking a ball and sticking with it? I'd have 20 different ones in the bag, cleanest one gets hit. Should I invest in 50 of the same type or does it make any difference. I'm shite by the way, capable of a couple of pars per round.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to say that there’s nothing I don’t know about golf. Then I checked my betting account and remembered I know nothing about golf. 
 

I will of course follow and share with my vast network of not very many. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

He’s got form for this kind of thing I’m afraid. 

Yep. "Me Me me" I'm still waiting on a fridge magnet and the bastard knows I live with a blue as well. By the time I get it nobody will own fridges anymore. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve only ever played golf once - crazy golf whilst on holiday in North Wales as a kid. I couldn’t hit the ball straight, got embarrassed and soiled my underpants.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve only ever played golf once - crazy golf whilst on holiday in North Wales as a kid. I couldn’t hit the ball straight, got embarrassed and soiled my underpants.

That's actually the kind of review Dave is looking for.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my old job circa 2005/6 I went to St Andrews for the Open. There was a magazine called Golf Punk who'd I'd arranged a freebie visit round Merseyside for. Phil Babb was one of the magazine backers and they put on a party with a free bar somewhere in the town - I was smashed and found Babb and told him he was one of my favourite ever players. His reply: "That's great, thanks - have a good night".

 

And I did.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, No2 said:

Dave would you recommend picking a ball and sticking with it? I'd have 20 different ones in the bag, cleanest one gets hit. Should I invest in 50 of the same type or does it make any difference. I'm shite by the way, capable of a couple of pars per round.

 

Well, funny you should ask!

 

https://www.t3.com/features/what-type-of-golf-ball-should-you-be-using

 

https://www.t3.com/features/taylormade-golf-ball-guide

 

https://www.t3.com/features/wilson-staff-golf-balls

 

https://www.t3.com/us/features/callaway-golf-balls

 

I've always been the same as you really. The ball I used was whichever one I pulled out of the bag or my pocket, and usually that would be one I found in the trees. I had to do a lot of research on it recently though to do those reviews, and it does make a difference which ball you use.

 

The first link explains it in more detail, but basically it comes down to a few things. There are different types of balls aimed at the various levels of golfers. The balls the pros use are the best money can buy but that doesn't mean they'll be the best for you and me.

 

We don't hit irons as crisply as the pros so having a high spin ball isn't as essential for most of us. And how fast is your swing? If it's not superfast like a pro then you aren't going to get as much benefit from the top end balls like ProV1 or TP5 etc

 

A lower compression ball will give you more distance and it spins less so it won't slice or hook as much. The downside is it won't spin as much on approaches to the green or with chipping.

 

The best thing to do is experiment with different types until you find one that you're comfortable with.

 

If you're looking for distance off the tee and a bit of forgiveness on wayward shots, go with a Wilson Staff DUO or Callaway Super Soft. The DUO is pretty cheap as well. Like £20 a box or something. The Super Soft is pretty cheap as well I think.

 

A good all around ball that gives you all the benefits of a premium ball but that is aimed more at average golfers is the TaylorMade Tour Response. 

 

Whatever you choose, it makes sense to only use that as you'll get to know how it responds on different types of shots.

 

I never used to think it mattered but I recently turned our front driveway into a putting green and I've been doing loads of chipping with different balls. The difference is massive. The higher quality balls will check on the second bounce and then stop. The two-piece balls will run on a few extra feet. 

 

So it's fine to use either, but when you are using different types of balls they react in different ways. You might hit a chip eight feet past and think you hit a bad shot, but that exact same shot with a different ball may have ended up a foot away.

 

Hope that makes sense!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve only ever played golf once - crazy golf whilst on holiday in North Wales as a kid. I couldn’t hit the ball straight, got embarrassed and soiled my underpants.

'As a kid'. Yeah, right. Ok.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. "Me Me me" I'm still waiting on a fridge magnet and the bastard knows I live with a blue as well. By the time I get it nobody will own fridges anymore. 

 

Tell you what, I'll have a look and see if I have any knocking about and I'll send you whatever one you like.

 

Anything to stop the crysarsing. You're worse than Indian Red. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dave u said:

 

Tell you what, I'll have a look and see if I have any knocking about and I'll send you whatever one you like.

 

Anything to stop the crysarsing. You're worst than Indian Red. 

Thats what separates leaders from bosses. 

 

Stig or God please. I'll shut up then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. "Me Me me" I'm still waiting on a fridge magnet and the bastard knows I live with a blue as well. By the time I get it nobody will own fridges anymore. 

Good luck with that. 

 

I "won" a fridge magnet in 2015 and my fridge is still waiting for a TLW magnet.

 

PXL_20210416_125416741.thumb.jpg.e815215f7f3883defc99cc4cbabfdfcb.jpg

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×