You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

35 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Utilising a private mercenary army, letting them recruit from the very worst of your prison population, fail to provide them with modern weapons, treat them like cannon fodder, get your professional army to fire on them as they try to withdraw as the other side make advances, leave them with only one route out because you’ve planted land mines on all other escape routes, scapegoat the mercenary army when your badly planned war starts to go wrong. Anyone would think it’s more surprising that the mercenaries hadn’t reacted negatively to all this before now.

More to it than that though, Prig is a big dog and he's off his leash.  Top brass are scared of him, though he thinks he's mates with Putin you just can't trust Putin.  Everyone has guns and everyone's paranoid the others are out to get them.  

No idea what's going to happen next, my money is on Prig getting topped. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

More to it than that though, Prig is a big dog and he's off his leash.  Top brass are scared of him, though he thinks he's mates with Putin you just can't trust Putin.  Everyone has guns and everyone's paranoid the others are out to get them.  

No idea what's going to happen next, my money is on Prig getting topped. 

I watched Newsnight last night when this story was first breaking. They had a couple of experts on who said that the FSB would back Putin because their survival wouldn’t be guaranteed under anyone else. I think you’re right, Prigozhin will ultimately be killed, but what the hell do they do about his army, especially if the rest of the lower ranks of the Russian military decide to side with him?

'I say, therefore, that the arms with which a prince defends his state are either his own, or they are mercenaries, auxiliaries, or mixed. Mercenaries and auxiliaries are useless and dangerous; and if one holds his state based on these arms, he will stand neither firm nor safe; for they are disunited, ambitious, and without discipline, unfaithful, valiant before friends, cowardly before enemies; they have neither the fear of God nor fidelity to men, and destruction is deferred only so long as the attack is; for in peace one is robbed by them, and in war by the enemy. The fact is, they have no other attraction or reason for keeping the field than a trifle of stipend, which is not sufficient to make them willing to die for you. They are ready enough to be your soldiers whilst you do not make war, but if war comes they take themselves off or run from the foe; which I should have little trouble to prove' - 

The Prince (1513), Niccolo Machiavelli

Time is a flat circle.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

So Russia is essentially in a civil war now?  

It's a tough one to classify isn't it? 

It's basically one man but who's very powerful as he's got his own private army.

One might say it's the ultimate evolution of capitalism. A private sector military that can essentially stand toe to toe with that of a state.