You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

They (general populace) probably aren't aware.  State TV isn't going to say they've fucked up badly and X amount of people are dead.  Anyone that does better watch out for open windows higher than first floor and don't take tea from strangers.

It is not possible to hide that tens of thousands have died in Ukraine. There is probably about a million people who were directly or indirectly involved in the war effort and they would be able to estimate it is extremely costly. Average person has a network of about 100 to 200 people.

So I'd say they know.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Reports saying Wagner fellas will not fight in Ukraine any longer.

Also that this fella here, General Surovikin, was a secret member of Wagner and was in cahoots for the coup attempt.

r/worldnews - Russian General Sergey Surovikin was secret VIP member of Wagner, documents show | CNN

Looks like the kind of guy you’d trust with your cookie jar.

‘Yevgeny Prigozhin will never be discussed again’: Russian media to erase all traces of mutinous warlord

For nearly a decade, Prigozhin has sown scandal in Russia, creating a troll factory empire, leading Russia’s interference into foreign elections and bankrolling the Wagner mercenary group that fought in Ukraine and has propped up dictators in Africa.

“[The elite] truly fear Prigozhin as a possible alternative to Putin. There would be no guarantees, no protection, no rules to the game.”

Instead, it is Prigozhin’s empire that will now crumble, ending a decade of his schemes and tricks doing some of the Kremlin’s dirtiest work.

On Friday, Russia blocked the websites of the Ria Fan, Politics Today, Economy Today, Neva News and People’s News online media outlets, part of a constellation of online sites that pushed out fake news in support of Prigozhin’s agenda.

Prigozhin had for years denied that he was the founder of the organisation until earlier this year. “I’ve never just been the financier of the Internet Research Agency,” he said. “I invented it, I created it, I managed it for a long time. It was founded to protect the Russian information space from boorish aggressive propaganda of anti-Russian narrative from the west.”

“Until the war and Bakhmut, we would rarely write about Prigozhin – he was seen as an unclear character, not anti-government but best not to touch,” said a former editor at a Russian state news agency, citing contacts with colleagues. “Now it is as though he never existed.”

“[Editors] are saying: ‘Right, we’ve addressed [the mutiny] but now we are going to get back to normal, and Prigozhin will never be discussed, definitely not on TV.’”

Prigozhin himself is supposedly in Belarus, although he has not been photographed there recently. But many have asked the question: how long can he survive?

“I’ve thought a few times about what I would write if he died,” said the former state news editor, when asked if they had prepared an obituary. “I can’t imagine that he will be alive for long.”

"All our hope is in the famine. The famine will start now, and they will lift the sanctions, and be friends with us, because they will realize it is necessary" - Russia's top propagandist Margarita Simonyan openly reveals Russia's tactic to generate global famine to hold the whole world hostage.

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

"All our hope is in the famine. The famine will start now, and they will lift the sanctions, and be friends with us, because they will realize it is necessary" - Russia's top propagandist Margarita Simonyan openly reveals Russia's tactic to generate global famine to hold the whole world hostage.

Absolute freaks.

Mediazona updated Russian casualties, this time after four instead of two weeks, with 1851 new names, which is down on the previous two weeks (with over 1200 names in half the time). The total is now 28,652 names.

Interestingly, they say that the actual number of KIA at the end of May was 47,000 estimated on the basis of excess death count or something, which roughly corresponds with their number of names x2. This would put the number of Russian deaths at the end of July at about 55,000, in line with previous estimate of confirmed names representing 40 to 60 percent of the actual total.

https://zona.media/casualties

(Englsih version not yet ready)

• Upvote 1

Looking to post - I guessed page 3, was page 4 - this has become an afterthought.

Anyway, true to form:

A Russian court on Friday sentenced imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny to 19 more years in prison after convicting him of several extremism-related charges that the Putin critic says are politically motivated, AP reported.

38 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Looking to post - I guessed page 3, was page 4 - this has become an afterthought.

Anyway, true to form:

A Russian court on Friday sentenced imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny to 19 more years in prison after convicting him of several extremism-related charges that the Putin critic says are politically motivated, AP reported.

Disgusting when dictators abuse their power- this is what'll happen to Trump.

Exclusive: Russia doubles 2023 defense spending plan as war costs soar

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-doubles-2023-defence-spending-plan-war-costs-soar-document-2023-08-04/

Russia has doubled its 2023 defence spending target to more than $100 billion - a third of all public expenditure - a government document reviewed by Reuters showed, as the costs of the war in Ukraine spiral and place growing strain on Moscow's finances.