You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peak Owen vs Peak Torres

Bjornebye

Peak Owen vs Peak Torres  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Peak Owen vs Peak Torres

Thing about Owen was he didn’t really have much else to his game. He had sensational pace and he really knew how to use it to score goals. He didn’t really develop other parts of his game enough IMO e.g., he was useless with his back to goal, couldn’t hold up the ball, general link up play was meh, did he do much defending from the front? I can’t even remember. Post his Madrid years, I’d take Jermaine Defoe over Michael Owen. 

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Thing about Owen was he didn’t really have much else to his game. He had sensational pace and he really knew how to use it to score goals. He didn’t really develop other parts of his game enough IMO e.g., he was useless with his back to goal, couldn’t hold up the ball, general link up play was meh, did he do much defending from the front? I can’t even remember. Post his Madrid years, I’d take Jermaine Defoe over Michael Owen. 

And as a pure finished he wasn't even in the same solar system as Fowler, Suarez or Rushy.

16 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

In this poll - Torres.

But - in their pomp:

Suarez>Torres>Owen

I'd tend to agree with that. 

But saying that, I reckon fowler in his pomp would have scored an insane amount of goals in this current Liverpool team. 

Funny, of all the players mentioned above, owen would offer the least to the current team. He was a one trick pony, but fuck me that one trick was amazing to be fair. 

Owen has freely admitted that his peak years were before he got his first injury in 1999.  Considering what he went onto do for us, isn't too shabby.

Torres was a technically better player - and we got his peak years but we didn't win anything whilst he was here (even though he had one of the best ever songs).

As others have said, Fowler, Suarez, Rush and Kenny were better.

57 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Owen for me. We actually won loads when he was here.Torres won nothing with us.

That is just timing of the team though - Suarez won a single league cup, but with all due respect in his last league season he was easily the best. Ever.

33 games - 31 golas. Golas of every kind imaginable and unimaginable. Free kicks, nutmegs, distance, head - all of the very highest order. 

He was unstoppable. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

That is just timing of the team though - Suarez won a single league cup, but with all due respect in his last league season he was easily the best. Ever.

33 games - 31 golas. Golas of every kind imaginable and unimaginable. Free kicks, nutmegs, distance, head - all of the very highest order. 

He was unstoppable. 

Just shows how you need more than a couple of top players to be successful. Jurgen knows.

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Torres. 

I loved Owen when he was here but he did seem one dimensional compared to Torres. It's just a pity he won nothing then felt like the club was holding him back. 

I wonder if he hadn't flounced and stayed to form a partnership with Suarez what that would have been like. 

Better than Andy Carroll.

14 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Torres. 

I loved Owen when he was here but he did seem one dimensional compared to Torres. It's just a pity he won nothing then felt like the club was holding him back. 

I wonder if he hadn't flounced and stayed to form a partnership with Suarez what that would have been like. 

Isn't the common concensus that we wouldn't have gone for Suarez if we didn't sell Torres? 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Isn't the common concensus that we wouldn't have gone for Suarez if we didn't sell Torres? 

Possibly but we bought Andy Carroll too. I think we were in negotiations with Suarez for a long time because we offered Ajax something shit like £9m for him. The negotiations took a few weeks.

Whereas Andy Carroll was bought right on deadline day when Torres was confirmed as a Chelsea player. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Possibly but we bought Andy Carroll too. I think we were in negotiations with Suarez for a long time because we offered Ajax something shit like £9m for him. The negotiations took a few weeks.

Whereas Andy Carroll was bought right on deadline day when Torres was confirmed as a Chelsea player. 

Yeah you might be right. It looked like Torres' legs had gone anyway. Him and Suarez together in their pomp would easily be the greatest strike partnership ever in the history of the world ever of all time forever period.