You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

The TV operators will probably get a deal for additional games next year to compensate or a additional year at the same cost if they want to invoke that. 

The TV companies start pushing for ott money back you could easy see it being a contract break and amazon just stepping in with a better package. The TV companies will likely do a deal, it makes more sense, especially if they can lock up a additional year

Interesting thoughts. Cannot see Amazon stepping in with a better package though. They'd offer a lot less money to PL clubs because as with most things, it's a buyers market for the foreseeable future.

I think all the clubs including the EFL, are between a rock and a hard place. They either face up to having to pay money back or complete the season. There's already one overseas tv rights broadcaster taking legal action against the PL. The overseas tv rights are bigger than both Sky and BT together in this current deal.

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

BBC reporting an 'interesting link' between Liverpool match against atletico Madrid. Lame article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52362099

So their is no evidence of any links but we are going to post this article anyway? They put all the lot from Wuhan directly in a North West hospital but of course all deaths in the North West are Liverpools fault for wanting a 'flag night'. 

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So their is no evidence of any links but we are going to post this article anyway? They put all the lot from Wuhan directly in a North West hospital but of course all deaths in the North West are Liverpools fault for wanting a 'flag night'. 

Looks like the spin machine is in full effect, the Govt allowed that match to go ahead when there was shit going off and now their science aides are looking at the event with interest. BBC are definitely turning into the Govt's mouthpiece. I thought the BBC were supposed to be independent?

25 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Looks like the spin machine is in full effect, the Govt allowed that match to go ahead when there was shit going off and now their science aides are looking at the event with interest. BBC are definitely turning into the Govt's mouthpiece. I thought the BBC were supposed to be independent?

BBC chatting shit shocker. It was UEFA's decision not to stop the game going ahead, Liverpool couldnt do fuck about it. Anyway, I thought all the haters were happy we lost?

I read a comment online saying if Liverpool can't be awarded the title due to not having officially done enough yet, then they should also be the only English representative in next season's CL, as nobody else had officially done enough for that either! 

Solid logic. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, A_S said:

I read a comment online saying if Liverpool can't be awarded the title due to not having officially done enough yet, then they should also be the only English representative in next season's CL, as nobody else had officially done enough for that either! 

Solid logic. 

Did the writer claim to be George Weah's cousin?

Germany’s football league, the Bundesliga, could restart as early as 9 May. State leaders and football officials have suggested matches could go on behind closed doors under strict new hygiene measures. “A weekend with football is much more bearable than a weekend without football," Bavaria’s Premier Markus Söder said

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Why is the null and void thing even a conversation, it is the most clearly unfair solution. Essential it rewards failure.

Tribal instincts and we're everyone's favourite whipping boy.

Once we win the league, everyone's whip is magiced away, not that that would stop them going on about other shit. Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, united, city etc, all they could sling at us would be other shit not, 'you havent won the league for 30 years, blah, blah, fucking blah.' That and they are scared we might be dominant while Jurgen's here.

Fuck's sake. I shouldnt be surprised but I am. UEFA starts to wobble. Yeah, yeah, I know the Wail have put their bias on the story but the Telegraph have also confirmed UEFA's shifting position.

UEFA has opened the door to domestic league and cup competitions being cancelled 'in special cases' due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The national member associations of European football's governing body gathered for a conference call on Tuesday for an update on 'a variety of calendar options' to complete the 2019-20 season.

UEFA had previously warned that domestic leagues cancelling their seasons prematurely risked their clubs being excluded from its competitions in the future, but may now consider allowing curtailment of campaigns.

There was a strong recommendation given to finish domestic top division and cup competitions, but some special cases will be heard once guidelines concerning participation to European competitions - in case of a cancelled league - have been developed,' a statement from UEFA read.

UEFA said any decisions on those guidelines would be announced after Thursday's meeting of its executive committee.

The Scottish Professional Football League board has the right to make a decision on bringing the Premiership season to an end but is expected to consult with clubs before going ahead.

However, this announcement from UEFA would appear to open the door to the Scottish 2019-20 top-flight campaign being brought to an early end.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon expressed concerns on Monday about the possibility of even staging behind-closed-doors matches because of social distancing rules.

The Belgian Pro League announced at the start of the month that it was cancelling its season, with Club Brugge declared champions. The decision is yet to be ratified.

In England, Premier League clubs are still exploring scheduling models for how they could complete the season.

Failure to do so would prove very costly. It has been reported that Sky Sports would not seek a rebate in the event of a curtailed campaign, but that would still leave the clubs owing a collective £370million.

The scenarios presented to the associations were all understood to culminate in the Champions League and Europa League taking place in August, with the final of the Champions League believed to be pencilled in for August 29.

The format of the remainder of those competitions - for instance whether ties remain at two legs or drop to one - is entirely dependent on how much time is available for the matches to be played.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8241733/UEFA-open-leagues-cancelling-seasons-special-cases-recommend-divisions-completed.html

The Dutch league is essentially finished now. The Dutch pm banning games behind closed doors until September. 

No word if they will declare a champion. It sounds like Ajax and AZ are level on points, so slightly different to having a 25 point lead, or in Scotland or Belgium.

Meanwhile, subject to government approval all of the big leagues seem committed to completing the season. Hard to know what our government would say, or if they will come under pressure to follow the Dutch example.

I still think worst case scenario we are awarded it.

Yeah - UEFA are open to cancelled leagues, but that doesn’t mean the same thing as voiding. I think we’re going to have to see champions / European qualification awarded with promotion and relegation left to the discretion of the respective leagues. That’s the best way to minimise strife in the event a competition cannot be completed; even in the case of the Netherlands, it might have to come down to goal difference.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

The Dutch league is essentially finished now. The Dutch pm banning games behind closed doors until September. 

No word if they will declare a champion. It sounds like Ajax and AZ are level on points, so slightly different to having a 25 point lead, or in Scotland or Belgium.

Meanwhile, subject to government approval all of the big leagues seem committed to completing the season. Hard to know what our government would say, or if they will come under pressure to follow the Dutch example.

Quite something that the Dutch are going this far and playing it this safe...hard to see us not doing at least the same given situation here is worse than over there.

Seems overly cautious to me what they are doing - but there you go.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Just seen this on the Echo. Hope Im wrong but I reckon the PL season is almost fucked now.

Virtually every other country in the world is using testing kits Public Health England refuse to validate. The fucking idiots at Public Health England are determined not to sanction a virus test unless it's 98% accurate.

There's no fucking way they'll get that level of accuracy with any test and certainly not one that will be available this side of the new year. Even the best people in virology say PHE is pissing in the wind with that requirement. And that, in my humble opinion, means hopes of re starting the PL season are disappearing quicker than snow in summer because without the tests, Government wont sanction football restarting in time.

UEFA needed to come out with a stronger message against ending a nation's season early but at the end of the day, if they have no clubs playing in the CL, they get no income.

Latest, W.H.O recommends international football ceases until 2021. Must include UEFA club football as well.

The two things that will save it from being "voided" are the fact we are so far ahead and the fact that the clubs stand to lose so much if it is cancelled. It will be interesting to see what happens in some of the other countries now. Seems to be a feeling some countries will resume in the next six weeks. Worst case they give it to us in some way.

Uefa and the leagues may just look at completing this calendar season in the autumn and see where that brings us in terms of next season. Say if it was wrapped up in November, look at going again in January depending on whether things are kicking off, which would seem to be a real possibility. The whole worry about next season for all those lovely fans of other clubs then suddenly becomes void. 

I have wondered for a few weeks if the pl games end up played in the middle east and i think that is a possibility. Other leagues have tested it already in their seasons and the pl can now test the waters with it. Depending on how things are in some of the countries, they may get bums on seats which would be music to the ears of FSG. It could save some clubs from financial ruin.

Thinking logically, we are the easy decision. Deciding relegation and champions league spots is a different matter. Deciding who comes up as well. I still see them looking at every option before worst case scenario, they hand us the title. Voiding it and pressing reset is the nuclear option against one of the world's biggest clubs. The Mancs board will be happy if the season is completed to give them a chance of cl football, while the other Mancs know their 2 year ban is ticking down every day anyway.

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Just seen this on the Echo. Hope Im wrong but I reckon the PL season is almost fucked now.

Virtually every other country in the world is using testing kits Public Health England refuse to validate. The fucking idiots at Public Health England are determined not to sanction a virus test unless it's 98% accurate.

There's no fucking way they'll get that level of accuracy with any test and certainly not one that will be available this side of the new year. Even the best people in virology say PHE is pissing in the wind with that requirement. And that, in my humble opinion, means hopes of re starting the PL season are disappearing quicker than snow in summer because without the tests, Government wont sanction football restarting in time.

UEFA needed to come out with a stronger message against ending a nation's season early but at the end of the day, if they have no clubs playing in the CL, they get no income.

Latest, W.H.O recommends international football ceases until 2021. Must include UEFA club football as well.

Tend to agree after the Dutch decision. 

Would anyone take any notice what the WHO say these days? So slow in the mask wearing episode.

UEFA only seem interested in how they can slot the finals in.

They must be due to lose a lot of cash from manufacturers producing merchandise which I think is why they won't change venues for example, when 2 sides from same country meet in the final.

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

To be fair the WHO are more concerned with international football...At the minute 

But according to Italian publication La Repubblica, the WHO have recommended the suspension of all international competitions as they aim to take control of the outbreak. 

This isn't likely to include the Premier League as that is classed as domestic competition, but the Champions League, Europa League and next summer’s European Championships will all be affected.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/champions-league-europa-league-latest-18128461

On 20/04/2020 at 23:04, Shooter in the Motor said:

I think this story was triggered because the echo were allowed a question on the daily briefing. The aides clearly had no fucking idea and weren't expecting the question and were just trying not to put their foot in it. 

On 20/04/2020 at 23:32, dockers_strike said:

BBC chatting shit shocker. It was UEFA's decision not to stop the game going ahead, Liverpool couldnt do fuck about it. Anyway, I thought all the haters were happy we lost?

The agenda is being pushed by the echo. Personally I think not without some justification. It was a time when those same fans would not be allowed to attend a match in their own country due to high infection rates and we allowed them the fly in, go to our pubs, hotels and then go to a stadium with 50000 other people. It follows to the wider point that was a theme of other journalists in that press conference that the government response to the crisis was too slow.