You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's gone in 4 years. Teams can go from poor, to decent, to great and back to poor in that timespan. Why you'd worry about looking that far ahead when the future for football teams are always so murky to predict, I have no idea. When he leaves, we may turn to shite, we may still be good, we might all be dead, who cares. The important thing is how we look in the near future because for our squad, the future is now. 

It literally takes one great signing or two to change the fortunes of a side, look at selling Coutinho and buying Alisson + van Dijk. We have 4 years to attempt these kinds of signings and we have leeway because the team is already great. Complaining because we missed out on Werner who is, by the way, not some megastar ballon d'or candidate, is being a hysterical fanny. There's plenty of fish in the sea and we're in the market for all of them. Whether we have money remains to be seen, but we have a legit shot at attracting pretty much anyone. 

Also, FSG don't "owe" Klopp anything, they pay his salary. They work together and make decisions together. That's why the marriage has actually worked so far, when it hasn't in the past. 

Ah i see. So FSG's problem before was that the manager (who they employed) wasn't the required standard, they needed a good manager to make their tight arse marriage work. 

If you think that us selling Mane or Salah next year to reinvest, look no further than Aguero, who is still knocking them in at 33.

Also regarding Werner, its not the player thats important, its that Jurgen wanted him and actively took the time out to do the groundwork, thats the problem. He could turn out to be shite for all i know.

5 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Not ready in my opinion Barry but what do I know, looks more comfortable at full back.

I'd be less worried of matip and gomez.werent such crocks. 

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I completely agree but once this season is over, we’ll have at least another 16 major trophies to win (more if you include Super & World Club Cups) before Klopp leaves.

If, as was the original plan, Klopp was leaving next summer, I’d totally get the concern. 

If we enter the 22/23 season with the same squad as now I’ll start to get a bit nervous but I genuinely can’t see why people are bothering to discussing it now.

Well I don't think we've 16 trophies to play for as I don't believe we'll try to win half of them, the domestic cups are for our u23s. And by waiting year on year, we make the chance of seemless regeneration tougher. And if we have to do a major rebuild down the line, we could see ourselves go backwards, especially if Chelsea are spending again and we could have Newcastle on the scene doing the same. It was clear Werner as an example was a part of our plan of regeneration. We're not doing this for 2 years running makes klopps life double hard and he already does it with one hand tied behind his back.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

What a player he would be here. Think City wouldn't sell to us though so he'll probably go to a European club.

Surely he's nailed on for Munich? Way out of our price range. He'd be out of our price range on a bosman. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'd be less worried of matip and gomez.werent such crocks. 

Well I don't think we've 16 trophies to play for as I don't believe we'll try to win half of them, the domestic cups are for our u23s. And by waiting year on year, we make the chance of seemless regeneration tougher. And if we have to do a major rebuild down the line, we could see ourselves go backwards, especially if Chelsea are spending again and we could have Newcastle on the scene doing the same. It was clear Werner as an example was a part of our plan of regeneration. We're not doing this for 2 years running makes klopps life double hard and he already does it with one hand tied behind his back.

Surely he's nailed on for Munich? Way out of our price range. He'd be out of our price range on a bosman. 

Think we would have the money but not really sure we would make him the highest paid player at the club which is what we would probably be talking for such a good player coming on a bosman.

59 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ah i see. So FSG's problem before was that the manager (who they employed) wasn't the required standard, they needed a good manager to make their tight arse marriage work. 

If you think that us selling Mane or Salah next year to reinvest, look no further than Aguero, who is still knocking them in at 33.

Also regarding Werner, its not the player thats important, its that Jurgen wanted him and actively took the time out to do the groundwork, thats the problem. He could turn out to be shite for all i know.

No, Rodgers was a decent manager and a fine gamble who nearly paid off, whether you wanna give him credit for 13/14 or not. His issue was that he had an out sized ego and thought he should have free reign on transfers at his first big job when that was never the plan to begin with.

Klopp on the other hand, besides his tremendous ability, has always wanted to work in a committee and has a tremendous understanding of budgets, player value, how clubs are run as businesses, and what his role as manager is within those parameters. And that's a massive part of why it has worked at Liverpool. He's totally on board with how the owners do things. 

On Werner, Klopp wanted Julian Brandt, he wanted Mario Gotze. He got Mane and Salah instead. That's how football works for the most part. You don't always get what you want, things conspire against you sometimes (Covid in this case, that's kind of a big deal for finances, don't know if you've heard) but you regroup and find other players. Werner is not van Dijk. He's not this transcendent talent who had to be bought.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

On Werner, Klopp wanted Julian Brandt, he wanted Mario Gotze. He got Mane and Salah instead. That's how football works for the most part. You don't always get what you want, things conspire against you sometimes (Covid in this case, that's kind of a big deal for finances, don't know if you've heard) but you regroup and find other players. Werner is not van Dijk. He's not this transcendent talent who had to be bought.  

Rogers...well he came close but again was hampered by having nearly no squad depth to call upon and then the less said about selling Suarez for that rabble they invested in the better.

I don't mind if we get players in to replace targets, we won't always get our number one choices, but what is important is Jurgen is backed. Yeah he won't moan, he's not like that, and clearly he loves the job and the club.

I just don't think we can afford to take a back seat after getting to this position, the rest of our rivals won't stand still.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Think we would have the money but not really sure we would make him the highest paid player at the club which is what we would probably be talking for such a good player coming on a bosman.

We could afford him if we got one of the big earners off the wage bill. I don't think we'll put another big earner in there till someone goes. Alisson and VVD will be renewed and both get pay rises, so I just don't see us doing it. 

3 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

We could afford him if we got one of the big earners off the wage bill. I don't think we'll put another big earner in there till someone goes. Alisson and VVD will be renewed and both get pay rises, so I just don't see us doing it. 

Gini as well hopefully.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I think we'll let gini go free rather than give him a pay rise and it's why we've not struck a deal yet. 

I think it’s the length of contract that’s the issue rather than the money on offer. Gini wants 4 years, whilst the club would prefer to offer 3 years as he’s 30 in November. Klopp was supposedly optimistic last I read, so hopefully we see sense and give him the 4 years he wants. Gini is fit as a fiddle and I’d back him to still be offering us plenty  at the end of a 4 year contract.

49 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I think it’s the length of contract that’s the issue rather than the money on offer. Gini wants 4 years, whilst the club would prefer to offer 3 years as he’s 30 in November. Klopp was supposedly optimistic last I read, so hopefully we see sense and give him the 4 years he wants. Gini is fit as a fiddle and I’d back him to still be offering us plenty  at the end of a 4 year contract.

Also he seems like a great lad so you don't let great players and pros walk oit the door. Give him what he wants.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Yeah, we used to get that optimistic talk about Can. I am pretty sure most of our negotiations are black or white. We'll have a top end we're prepared to offer and won't go past it, be that years or rate - I would imagine all 3 numbers need to be in limits, wage, length & TCV. Same if we're selling players. We keep them till someone hits a magic number. I don't think emotion will come into it and it'll all have a formula to create the value and we'll never deviate. 

17 hours ago, The Gaul said:

And by waiting year on year, we make the chance of seemless regeneration tougher.

Waiting year on year? An alternative version is we got our cards lined up early and are reaping the rewards.

Look, 4 years is fucking miles away. This is how much things have changed since 2016...

Alisson has just signed for Roma and yet to make his debut. 

Trent is yet to make his debut for us.

Robbo is playing for Hull in the Championship.

Fabinho was a failed right back at Real

Madrid and had been shipped out to Monaco.

Salah was on his second loan in Italy and widely regarded as a failure in this country.

I could go on. 

4 years ago these players were hardly house hold names and now they are amongst the best players in the world in their respective positions. 

Things change massively. Nobody knows what’s going to happen so it’s completely pointless worrying about it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott_M said:

Waiting year on year? An alternative version is we got our cards lined up early and are reaping the rewards.

Look, 4 years is fucking miles away. This is how much things have changed since 2016...

Alisson has just signed for Roma and yet to make his debut. 

Trent is yet to make his debut for us.

Robbo is playing for Hull in the Championship.

Fabinho was a failed right back at Real

Madrid and had been shipped out to Monaco.

Salah was on his second loan in Italy and widely regarded as a failure in this country.

I could go on. 

4 years ago these players were hardly house hold names and now they are amongst the best players in the world in their respective positions. 

Things change massively. Nobody knows what’s going to happen so it’s completely pointless worrying about it. 

Haha. Ok. I don't see what that has to do with anything really, you're pretty much proving my point. As you're rightly pointing out, things change quickly in football and as quickly as up and coming players become good players, so those in their prime start tailing off. Ours are in their prime, some heading towards the end of that and we're doing nothing about picking up the ones on the trajectory you mention above. But it's alright, in 4 years our entire squad will still be brilliant and none of ours will tail off. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

This might be offered to Klopp as a "we know it's a bad idea, but if it keeps you happy" thing, but I doubt it.

There is no way we're going to give big money to a player after age 30, and especially not after age 32. There is SO much data showing how dramatically players decline after 30 it's clear it's a terrible idea. Many players are hugely overrated in these years due to the public having the image of the player they were at 27 in mind when they think of them, but Edwards will know this.

Milner is a huge exception that proves the rule, but he's been an absolute monk in the disciplined way he treats his body and he started out as a really athletic player. I'm not saying Gini will bulk up, but when he loses a yard of pace he will not be nearly as good a player. Maybe if we gave him a contract that said "same wage you're on for the next 2 years (until he's 31), then it decreases by 30% in the 3rd year (when he'll be 32) and then another 50% when you're in the 4th year (when he turns 33), but there's no way he'd accept that, I wouldn't think.

Just allow him to finish out his last year in peace and go out and get a big contract from some dumb club where they can worry about his decline. I don't want to be cringing every time I see him on the team sheet in 2 seasons, I want to remember him as the player who beat Barcelona to get us to Madrid.

26 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This might be offered to Klopp as a "we know it's a bad idea, but if it keeps you happy" thing, but I doubt it.

There is no way we're going to give big money to a player after age 30, and especially not after age 32. There is SO much data showing how dramatically players decline after 30 it's clear it's a terrible idea. Many players are hugely overrated in these years due to the public having the image of the player they were at 27 in mind when they think of them, but Edwards will know this.

Milner is a huge exception that proves the rule, but he's been an absolute monk in the disciplined way he treats his body and he started out as a really athletic player. I'm not saying Gini will bulk up, but when he loses a yard of pace he will not be nearly as good a player. Maybe if we gave him a contract that said "same wage you're on for the next 2 years (until he's 31), then it decreases by 30% in the 3rd year (when he'll be 32) and then another 50% when you're in the 4th year (when he turns 33), but there's no way he'd accept that, I wouldn't think.

Just allow him to finish out his last year in peace and go out and get a big contract from some dumb club where they can worry about his decline. I don't want to be cringing every time I see him on the team sheet in 2 seasons, I want to remember him as the player who beat Barcelona to get us to Madrid.

Good post that. But it's why we should be planning to bring his replacement and allow him to bed in. I've no issue with letting players go just before they slump, it was something we were great at back in the 70s and 80s, but then there were no bosmans, so it changes it a little. And we've a lot of people in that age group or about to be.