You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Take Firmino out of the equation there - he has his role. And we struggle just as badly to replicate that as we do the two wide players.

Definitely the other three cannot play in the same style as we do now and have shown the most when playing deeper anyway. We either need to change it up with those or add a wide player with top pace to plug in - probably doing both would be best.

The end bit I why I included Bobby. Its not a knock on him, but he isn't that quick so without the pace either side of him it really restricts his game. 

Think he could easy play behind a front two but we don't have any good conventional forwards. Origi will never be the answer and I like him, but he's a player to bring on to change a game not somebody good enough to come in for a month or two for injury cover 

We need full back cover especially on the left. A creative midfielder and a striker. I'd sell Keita I just can't see him offering more than we've already seen. I'd strap Lovren onto a rocket designed by a flat earther and see if he can reach the edge. Lallana gone, shaquiri gone, origi gone, Karius gone. 

The amount of new sponsors we have and increased revenues our "war chest" shouldn't just be entirely on improved contracts. The side needs to be improved upon as it ever does. It's been an unbelievable season I just can't see this squad being able to go again it must be mentally exhausting too. Just 2 real bits of quality to freshen things up and make other sides think fuck something else to worry about and a couple of capable bits of cover. 

I'm confident we won't sign anybody, maybe a youngster.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We need full back cover especially on the left. A creative midfielder and a striker. I'd sell Keita I just can't see him offering more than we've already seen. I'd strap Lovren onto a rocket designed by a flat earther and see if he can reach the edge. Lallana gone, shaquiri gone, origi gone, Karius gone. 

The amount of new sponsors we have and increased revenues our "war chest" shouldn't just be entirely on improved contracts. The side needs to be improved upon as it ever does. It's been an unbelievable season I just can't see this squad being able to go again it must be mentally exhausting too. Just 2 real bits of quality to freshen things up and make it he sides think fuck something else to worry about and a couple of capable bits of cover. 

I'm confident we won't sign anybody, maybe a youngster.

When does the transfer window close?

The window will open when the season ends as far as Im aware, so end of July beginning of August? It's not closing until the middle of October according to UEFA although EFL clubs want it to stay open another few weeks after that.

Talking dispationately, I get many people saying we need cover. But what they usually mean by that is a player who'll step into the team with any drop off when they do. Who honestly is going to do that for our players?

I think Angry of tuebrook or piston broke(?) summed it up. We have world class players in virtually every position in the team. You're not going to find back up that comes close to replacing any of them.

That doesnt mean to say you cant have back up. Take Robbo, we can play Milner, Gomez or even Larouci there. Same with Trent, we can play Milner (again!) Hendo or Williams.

I honest think people under estimate just how hard it is to convince real quality players to come here for many positions in our team. They know they'll be back up unless they're being signed to replace someone who is leaving. Yes, city can do it because they're paying lads over £100k a week to sit on the bench. They had a £60m full back playing in his 9th league game of the season against Burnley and most of those were probably cameo sub appearances. £60m for a full back squad player, think about that.

Take Werner as an example. By all accounts, the boy was 'desparate' to come here. He was so 'desparate' that when Jurgen contacted him to say the deal couldnt be done in this window, within 2 weeks he'd signed for chelsea. No one will convince me if you're 'desparate' to come here and play for Jurgen that you'd sign for a no mark manager like lampard within 2 weeks of Jurgen saying the deal's on hold.

33 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't even know when it opens.

I have a feeling there will be a surprise or two and relegated clubs could be where it is at. There are some decent players at West Ham and I'm hearing murmurs of I think a player in Germany (Rashica I think) whose release clause could go really low if his club get relegated. 

@El Rojo? @Don Balon

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That doesnt mean to say you cant have back up. Take Robbo, we can play Milner, Gomez or even Larouci there. Same with Trent, we can play Milner (again!) Hendo or Williams.

Worth bearing in mind that Robbo at the time was signed as backup to Moreno with a view to competing. It can be achieved with players at any level and it can either result in your first choice getting better or your backup getting better. 

Liverpool have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Thiago Alcantara after the midfielder backed out of contract negotiations with Bayern Munich.

The Spain international, whose current deal runs until the summer of 2021, had looked nailed on to agree new terms with the German champions after they secured their eighth consecutive Bundesliga title last week. 

However, according to Bild, the 29-year-old has now cut off talks with the Bavarian outfit, and team-mates now believe there is a very real chance the former Barcelona man could leave this summer.

Talking between themselves, the feeling among Bayern stars, according to the German publication, is that the player is ready for a new challenge away from Germany.

That challenge may very well come in the form of a move to Anfield, with Liverpool thought to be heavily interested in the midfielder.Jurgen Klopp is understood to be a long-term admirer of the Brazilian-born star, and is keen to bring him to the Premier League.

Thiago would also have the option of moving back to the Nou Camp, should he desire a return to Spain.

A clause, inserted in his deal when originally moved to the Allianz Arena in 2013, stated that the Catalan outfit are able to buy their former academy product back for just €25million (£22.5m).

Thiago has made 35 appearances for Bayern this season, scoring three times in the Bundesliga. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8454535/Liverpool-emerge-frontrunners-Bayern-Munich-midfielder-Thiago-Alcantara.html

1 minute ago, Sharp Shooter said:

Worth bearing in mind that Robbo at the time was signed as backup to Moreno with a view to competing. It can be achieved with players at any level and it can either result in your first choice getting better or your backup getting better. 

Yeah sure but let's not forget it took Andy some time to deliver the quality he has now and that is missed when he's out. Im pretty sure his mindset was of more than just competing and he's now set the bar far higher than was there with Albi.

Im pretty sure the club could attract a host of back ups for any position but the question is, will there no drop off in quality if \ when they play? It's the 'no drop off' that seems to concern many because we could simply bring lads from the U23s into the team when needed but that doesnt satisfy them.

Let be honest, it you offer enough money to players they will come, our hindrance is we are always looking for value in the market when sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pony up for quality. We have done that twice and look at the effect it has had on the team.

I dont buy into the narrative that there are only a handful of players in the world that could get into this team as before most of these players arrived they weren't some of the best players in the world, most were not even considered the best player in their position in their league.

54 minutes ago, Sharp Shooter said:

I have a feeling there will be a surprise or two and relegated clubs could be where it is at. There are some decent players at West Ham and I'm hearing murmurs of I think a player in Germany (Rashica I think) whose release clause could go really low if his club get relegated. 

@El Rojo? @Don Balon

We have been linked with Rashica for a while, if Werner go down his fee is supposedly €13m. A snip that.

I wonder if the men in suits are expecting a bit of a transfer fee recession, we're used to seeing them rise almost every year, especially when the world record gets broken it seems to raise everyone else's price. 

If because of the circumstances they are expecting prices to fall, it might be a good idea to wait it out, the player we've been eying up for 50m could be going for 25m in a few months because their club is desperate to balance the books. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SlugTrail said:

Let be honest, it you offer enough money to players they will come, our hindrance is we are always looking for value in the market when sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pony up for quality. We have done that twice and look at the effect it has had on the team.

I dont buy into the narrative that there are only a handful of players in the world that could get into this team as before most of these players arrived they weren't some of the best players in the world, most were not even considered the best player in their position in their league.

Sure, if you pay what Id call 'silly' money for a £60m sub to sit on the bench and multiple that by for each of the non playing first team squad, I fully agree you'd get a good number of players to sign.

Im more than happy the club isnt spending £60m on, for example, a back up left back and paying him over £100k to sit on the bench behind Andy or any other player. That's not how I personally want the club run. I suspect Jurgen's the same.

It comes down to whether people want the club run as a poor man's impression of city and previously chelsea or, we go the way the manager appears quite happy to go.

13 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Take Firmino out of the equation there - he has his role. And we struggle just as badly to replicate that as we do the two wide players.

Definitely the other three cannot play in the same style as we do now and have shown the most when playing deeper anyway. We either need to change it up with those or add a wide player with top pace to plug in - probably doing both would be best.

Perhaps we'll see more of the 4231?

2 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Perhaps we'll see more of the 4231?

Maybe. All I know is Minamino looked three times the player against us playing behind the strikers. He is quick but he does not have the pace needed to stretch the flank like we need if we are playing three upfront. Jones/Elliott even less so.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Sure, if you pay what Id call 'silly' money for a £60m sub to sit on the bench and multiple that by for each of the non playing first team squad, I fully agree you'd get a good number of players to sign.

Im more than happy the club isnt spending £60m on, for example, a back up left back and paying him over £100k to sit on the bench behind Andy or any other player. That's not how I personally want the club run. I suspect Jurgen's the same.

It comes down to whether people want the club run as a poor man's impression of city and previously chelsea or, we go the way the manager appears quite happy to go.

I'm on about bringing in people that can come and challenge the first team players not just as back ups, there are players out there that can come in and play multiple positions, this doesnt mean they are coming to warm the bench, it means we can rotate and keep our players fresher. 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

I wonder if the men in suits are expecting a bit of a transfer fee recession, we're used to seeing them rise almost every year, especially when the world record gets broken it seems to raise everyone else's price. 

If because of the circumstances they are expecting prices to fall, it might be a good idea to wait it out, the player we've been eying up for 50m could be going for 25m in a few months because their club is desperate to balance the books. 

The player we were eyeing for £50m just moved to a rival for £50m. Unfortunately there’s enough crooked rich clubs to keep prices inflated at the top end of the market. It’s why I can see us going all out to sign excellent youngsters and little else.

26 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

The player we were eyeing for £50m just moved to a rival for £50m. 

And then along came Chelsea, offering a weekly wage of around £175,000 - almost doubling his current salary - and a £12m fee to his agent Karlheinz Forster, taking the total outlay to more than £100m.

We were never eyeing anything like that.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Maybe. All I know is Minamino looked three times the player against us playing behind the strikers. He is quick but he does not have the pace needed to stretch the flank like we need if we are playing three upfront. Jones/Elliott even less so.

Our wingers play quite narrow, though, which should suit him. Against Everton, Henderson was more of a right winger than Minamino.

The issue with him playing on the wing in our system is that he's going to have to behave like a forward and score lots of goals like Salah and Mane. We might have to switch the role up for him. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Our wingers play quite narrow, though, which should suit him. Against Everton, Henderson was more of a right winger than Minamino.

The issue with him playing on the wing in our system is that he's going to have to behave like a forward and score lots of goals like Salah and Mane. We might have to switch the role up for him. 

Its not really about width - Salah is the furthest forward of our players game in and game out. His threat/ability to get behind is what creates space, both for him to receive an outlet and for others to run into as the fullback against him cannot play him tight - Minamino does not pose that threat.