You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I really couldn't give a shit, John. Some people need to be told a few home truths. If I have to play the fall guy to get that point across then I won't lose any sleep over it. I like Champ, a very nice woman, so need to bring her into things. She's hardly the person to pull people up on their posting habits. 

Come on mate, you've made your point now. You are one of my favourite posters on here and I don't like watching this anymore. We are all cunts (apart from Champ and Suzy) Put the forum away for the night or change threads. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

my daughter mentioned for the first time today that she's probably going to have to delay her July wedding. The bonus is I get more time to write the speech. 

That is really weird, our daughter has also postponed her wedding which was planned for June. her reasoning was that she would rather her special day was remembered for what it is and not surrounded by the current crap, fair enough I say. Plus If I keep losing weight at the rate I am I'll fit into the only suit I own which I've only worn a few times. 

17 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

This is doing the rounds on wattsapp over here in ireland. Dont know who its from but we're in big trouble if it's even partially correct

WHY IRELAND IS IN TROUBLE Lads, I've been reading about this virus since January, and like most people, I was cracking jokes about it and did not take it seriously at all. That changed completely when someone explained the numbers to me and explained why we in Ireland in particular are in trouble. I have not stopped thinking about it since. You may not think that we are in trouble based on the number of confirmed cases so far, but we are.

I'm going to write this to you in an effort to explain what the fuck is actually going on and hopefully help in the effort. A lot of people are ringing me and asking me if I know anything on the inside. I don't know much more than what is in the news, but I have probably spotted some of the important stuff that you may have missed.

I've been tracking the numbers and confirmed cases in Ireland have been growing by 30% a day on average, which means the number of cases doubles every 2-3 days. Based on those trends, and without the shutdown, there would be 100,000 confirmed cases within a month.

But the situation is actually much worse. Based on what happened in China and Italy, the actual number of cases in Ireland is almost certainly in the thousands already. The problem is that with this virus, you can have it, not have any symptoms, and still be infecting everyone around you before you feel sick. The Government knows this. That is why they shut the country down.

On the international numbers, over 90% of cases will recover. But 9% will be seriously ill, and about 5% will require intensive care (ICU) and at least 2.5% will need ventilators.

The Government has said between 25% and 75% of the population will get the virus. If 25% of the Irish population get it, which based on the numbers above is a very low estimate, that's 1.2 million people.

5% needing intensive care means 60,000 people will need intensive care beds to stay alive.

We currently have 277 intensive care beds in Ireland.

I'm going to say that again: At least 60,000 Irish people will need an ICU bed to stay alive.

We only have 277 ICU beds in Ireland. If too many people get sick in a short space of time, many, many Irish men and women are going to die when they could have been saved. Ireland is a small country. This is going to be someone in your family or someone you know. Or their mother. Or their father.

The staff in ICU wards know the numbers. Their representative body released a statement on Thursday, which was in the Irish Times, saying that they know that they are going to be making choices on who gets an ICU bed or who gets a ventilator. They said they will be making "challenging decisions". I'll translate that: It means the staff are going to be deciding who lives and who dies.

It has been happening in Italy already, and Italy has much better ICU care than we do. In terms of cases, we are 2 weeks behind Italy. The older you are, the less likely they are going to try to save you. Don't think this only applies to over 70s. If you are over 40, and need ICU, but a 30 year old also needs it, chances are the 30 year old will get it and you will die.

If that doesn't scare you, you don't fully understand it.

It is absolutely nuts, but this is what is going to happen. If we can lower the number of cases AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, we lower the number of people needing intensive care AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, then we free up more ICU beds, and we lower the number of Irish people who die in Irish hospitals. It is that simple.

This could be someone close to you. Your mam. Your dad. Your partner. Your granny. Your granddad. Your brother. Your sister. Your aunt. Your uncle. Your neighbour. Your friend. You do not want any of them dying because there was not enough ventilators or ICU beds to go around. It will not be the fault of the ICU staff.

If you want to blame someone for that, blame years of governments giving tax cuts instead of investing in the health service.

If you are furious even thinking of the idea of your loved ones dead in a coffin because a doctor thinks they are too old or are not strong enough, and giving a bed to someone who is a bit younger, then good, you are right to be.

You will also be more willing to listen to what you need to do next to help stop that happening: STAY THE FUCK AT HOME AND ONLY GO OUT IF YOU NEED FOOD. Watch Netflix. Read a book. Binge on a TV series. Go on Youtube. Eat food. Learn to cook. Learn to sew. Write a book. Do a diary. Figure out your life. Do press ups. Do sit ups. Do chin ups. Do zumba dancing. Do an online course in astronomy. Or Yoga. Or sports management. Or whatever the fuck you want. Do whatever the fuck you want.

You have absolutely no excuse not to keep yourself entertained at home. Do not go for pints. Do not have a house party. Do not go to a house party. Do not go for coffee. Do not go for a meal. Do not go for a chat. Do not visit your auntie. Do not visit your parents. Do not bring the kids over to their friends. Do not let friends come over to you. If you absolutely have to get out of the house, go for a walk on your own or with someone you are living with. But in general: STAY THE FUCK AT HOME UNTIL THE NUMBER OF CASES STARTS COMING DOWN.

If you want to be a hero in this, and want to save lives, but don't know what to do, stay the fuck at home.

Cheers for posting, Dec. I feel the same about England. I was reading earlier that Italy have I think it was 12 critical beds per 100,000 population. England has 6. 

I could have the per # wrong, I can’t find the article I was looking at earlier to double check and ironically feel rough as arseholes today hence not completely trusting myself on that figure, but it was certainly the case that Italy have twice as many critical beds as England.

When you see what’s happening over there, if people aren’t concerned, I don’t think the full impending horror has entirely dawned on them yet. The infrastructure isn’t set up to cope, so knock-on effects are likely going to be beyond our current conception, but become familiar horribly quickly.

As a lifelong user of the NHS, it has been barely coping by the skin of its teeth for years as it is. This is going to mule kick it well over the edge.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Come on mate, you've made your point now. You are one of my favourite posters on here and I don't like watching this anymore. We are all cunts (apart from Champ and Suzy) Put the forum away for the night or change threads. 

I honestly don't care mate, some people need to be brought down from their soapbox. I'm the same person that those like or hate, why should I change just to keep the status quo? I'm a cunt, I'll give you that, but it is the lack of empathy from others that makes me a miserable cunt. That and the never ending use of humour to try and belittle others. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I honestly don't care mate, some people need to be brought down from their soapbox. I'm the same person that those like or hate, why should I change just to keep the status quo? I'm a cunt, I'll give you that, but it is the lack of empathy from others that makes me a miserable cunt. That and the never ending use of humour to try and belittle others. 

Fair enough pal. Just trying to help. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I could have written that - well, apart from the empathy line.  You have had a nightmare over two days, your ‘friends’ have tried to tell you that.  Just give up. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Fair enough pal. Just trying to help. 

I just find the whole situation pathetic. People are fine having a pop at others, myself included but then get a mood on when i reply in kind. I'm not looking for arguments sake here, just defending my corner as I'm sick of the usual cunts on this forum thinking they can throw unanswered punches due to the fact they love themselves. Am I going down the same road as posters who have been banned? That remains to be seen, but I'll be fucked if people think they can throw those punches without being pulled up on it. I hardly post as it is, the last few days have been a bit of a revelation though. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I could have written that - well, apart from the empathy line.  You have had a nightmare over two days, your ‘friends’ have tried to tell you that.  Just give up. 

Fuck off you condescending knob. I've had a enough PM's that would suggest otherwise. Plus you are the main topic, clap your hands cunt, you deserve a medal. 

26 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

This is doing the rounds on wattsapp over here in ireland. Dont know who its from but we're in big trouble if it's even partially correct

WHY IRELAND IS IN TROUBLE Lads, I've been reading about this virus since January, and like most people, I was cracking jokes about it and did not take it seriously at all. That changed completely when someone explained the numbers to me and explained why we in Ireland in particular are in trouble. I have not stopped thinking about it since. You may not think that we are in trouble based on the number of confirmed cases so far, but we are.

I'm going to write this to you in an effort to explain what the fuck is actually going on and hopefully help in the effort. A lot of people are ringing me and asking me if I know anything on the inside. I don't know much more than what is in the news, but I have probably spotted some of the important stuff that you may have missed.

I've been tracking the numbers and confirmed cases in Ireland have been growing by 30% a day on average, which means the number of cases doubles every 2-3 days. Based on those trends, and without the shutdown, there would be 100,000 confirmed cases within a month.

But the situation is actually much worse. Based on what happened in China and Italy, the actual number of cases in Ireland is almost certainly in the thousands already. The problem is that with this virus, you can have it, not have any symptoms, and still be infecting everyone around you before you feel sick. The Government knows this. That is why they shut the country down.

On the international numbers, over 90% of cases will recover. But 9% will be seriously ill, and about 5% will require intensive care (ICU) and at least 2.5% will need ventilators.

The Government has said between 25% and 75% of the population will get the virus. If 25% of the Irish population get it, which based on the numbers above is a very low estimate, that's 1.2 million people.

5% needing intensive care means 60,000 people will need intensive care beds to stay alive.

We currently have 277 intensive care beds in Ireland.

I'm going to say that again: At least 60,000 Irish people will need an ICU bed to stay alive.

We only have 277 ICU beds in Ireland. If too many people get sick in a short space of time, many, many Irish men and women are going to die when they could have been saved. Ireland is a small country. This is going to be someone in your family or someone you know. Or their mother. Or their father.

The staff in ICU wards know the numbers. Their representative body released a statement on Thursday, which was in the Irish Times, saying that they know that they are going to be making choices on who gets an ICU bed or who gets a ventilator. They said they will be making "challenging decisions". I'll translate that: It means the staff are going to be deciding who lives and who dies.

It has been happening in Italy already, and Italy has much better ICU care than we do. In terms of cases, we are 2 weeks behind Italy. The older you are, the less likely they are going to try to save you. Don't think this only applies to over 70s. If you are over 40, and need ICU, but a 30 year old also needs it, chances are the 30 year old will get it and you will die.

If that doesn't scare you, you don't fully understand it.

It is absolutely nuts, but this is what is going to happen. If we can lower the number of cases AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, we lower the number of people needing intensive care AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, then we free up more ICU beds, and we lower the number of Irish people who die in Irish hospitals. It is that simple.

This could be someone close to you. Your mam. Your dad. Your partner. Your granny. Your granddad. Your brother. Your sister. Your aunt. Your uncle. Your neighbour. Your friend. You do not want any of them dying because there was not enough ventilators or ICU beds to go around. It will not be the fault of the ICU staff.

If you want to blame someone for that, blame years of governments giving tax cuts instead of investing in the health service.

If you are furious even thinking of the idea of your loved ones dead in a coffin because a doctor thinks they are too old or are not strong enough, and giving a bed to someone who is a bit younger, then good, you are right to be.

You will also be more willing to listen to what you need to do next to help stop that happening: STAY THE FUCK AT HOME AND ONLY GO OUT IF YOU NEED FOOD. Watch Netflix. Read a book. Binge on a TV series. Go on Youtube. Eat food. Learn to cook. Learn to sew. Write a book. Do a diary. Figure out your life. Do press ups. Do sit ups. Do chin ups. Do zumba dancing. Do an online course in astronomy. Or Yoga. Or sports management. Or whatever the fuck you want. Do whatever the fuck you want.

You have absolutely no excuse not to keep yourself entertained at home. Do not go for pints. Do not have a house party. Do not go to a house party. Do not go for coffee. Do not go for a meal. Do not go for a chat. Do not visit your auntie. Do not visit your parents. Do not bring the kids over to their friends. Do not let friends come over to you. If you absolutely have to get out of the house, go for a walk on your own or with someone you are living with. But in general: STAY THE FUCK AT HOME UNTIL THE NUMBER OF CASES STARTS COMING DOWN.

If you want to be a hero in this, and want to save lives, but don't know what to do, stay the fuck at home.

There's loads of vids going around on Twitter of Irish pubs completely full. Concurrently, some journo has said, there's a 20 some year old in an Irish ICU because of the virus. Looks like they will most likely need the full-blown Wuhan/Italy shut down. That's what it's gonna take to get these people out of crowded public places because some people just don't understand that no matter who you are, Pneumonia can put you in a hospital bed.

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, moof said:

Still a long way to go until we’re out of this so we need to pace ourselves with the arguments. Incredible start though, I doff my cap

I’m gonna be calling out @Tony Moanero tomorrow for his wank taste in biscuits. Watch this space 

This is the humour why I love this place. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's loads of vids going around on Twitter of Irish pubs completely full. Concurrently, some journo has said, there's a 20 some year old in an Irish ICU because of the virus. Looks like they will most likely need the full-blown Wuhan/Italy shut down. That's what it's gonna take to get these people out of the public because some people just don't understand that no matter who you are, Pneumonia can put you in a hospital bed.

I know mate it's mental the nonchalant way some people are reacting to this 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Fuck off you condescending knob. I've had a enough PM's that would suggest otherwise. Plus you are the main topic, clap your hands cunt, you deserve a medal. 

I’ve no doubt you have, that’s why you’re all over the place, contradicting yourself, making mad claims and generally being a fool.  You’re 56 year old man and playing to a crowd.  You actually suggested bringing your family to a fight with a stranger.  If they are encouraging that by PM they don’t have your best interests at heart. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I bet you like Blue Riband wafers, you bastard.

I actually like blue riband back in the day, not a patch on Knoppers though. Hazelnuts, milk and chocolate. 

Image result for Knoppers