You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Achterberg vs Alisson Becker

M_B

Yeah, the difference between a 25 year old goalkeeper costing £4.75 million in 2016 and a 26 year old goalkeeper costing £66.9 million in 2018 was probably not ever going to be attributable to a goalkeeping coach. Just as if you lined Mo Salah up with some chump from the Championship. Under Klopp investment into positions has always paid off; trying to do it on the cheap will work sometimes, but it’s always something of a crapshoot.

Karius should've been a bargain. Haven't seen a mental meltdown like his since Mickelson at Winged Foot.

But always found it weird how some people didn't understand why Achterberg's ability was being questioned when our goalkeeping was bottom-half quality for years. I mean we don't truly know what difference position coaches make but it made sense to suggest he was a bit shit. 

Alisson's probably too talented for it to even matter. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Karius should've been a bargain. Haven't seen a mental meltdown like his since Mickelson at Winged Foot.

But always found it weird how some people didn't understand why Achterberg's ability was being questioned when our goalkeeping was bottom-half quality for years. I mean we don't truly know what difference position coaches make but it made sense to suggest he was a bit shit. 

Alisson's probably too talented for it to even matter. 

It wasn’t just the final. He is just not a very good goalkeeper. Worse than Mignolet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We used to over pay for mediocrity the last couple of years we've paid top dollar for top talent. Used to infuriate me during Ferguson's reign United would go out spend a huge sum on just one or two brilliant players and it's all they would need to do. where as us we'd spend big money spread out across 6 players or massively over pay on some unknown shite. Seems now the work is going in on players and the owners are backing those decisions. 

Buy top players to fit your plan and shiiiit you improve. I love klopp.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Disagree. He was clearly better than Mig in the second half of last season. He just made unforgivable gaffes in the final.

He made an identical mistake against Roma but fortunately wasn’t punished for it. He made a a bit of a meal of his first stint as a Liverpool goalkeeper too. I just never thought he was ever good enough if I’m honest. Ming managed to deceive me a few times. Might have been entirely subjective.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Disagree. He was clearly better than Mig in the second half of last season. He just made unforgivable gaffes in the final.

I tend to agree with this but the choice is a bit like eating shit or vomit. I did think Mig had a problem with his mentality regarding mistakes until I saw Karius fall apart like a cheap glass vase on a regular basis. Thank god we recognised the problem and lets hope we can get rid of Mig asap.

17 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I tend to agree with this but the choice is a bit like eating shit or vomit. I did think Mig had a problem with his mentality regarding mistakes until I saw Karius fall apart like a cheap glass vase on a regular basis. Thank god we recognised the problem and lets hope we can get rid of Mig asap.

Two goalies one Kop.

• Upvote 1

Mig was like the Lovren of goalkeepers.  He was actually relatively solid a lot of the time but just had massive fuck ups in him. People lost their shit because of the fuck ups and used to say he made no saves at all which was nonsense.  He was good for long periods but his fuck ups just never went away.  He could and probably would have fucked up himself in the CL final although it wouldn’t have been down to him being a fucking arrogant cunt and rolling the ball into a player’s shins.

Karius for me was just fundamentally shite.  He had a 6 month spell were in my opinion he basically got lucky.  Van Dijks arrival and the emergence of Robbo is hardly coincidental that he didn’t get put under as much pressure.  When you look at our record this year it’s obvious the 6 month spell of not looking totally shite for him had a lot to do with our new defence.  I got behind him at the time but he hardly had a save to make in 6 months and we still conceded.  In comparison to Alisson who also doesn’t get put under as much pressure but still looks fantastic and is always there when called upon.

if Mignolet leaves here he will be quite good for whoever he plays for (I doubt any top club will come in for him).  He will just never really be good enough for a top club.  Karius’ career will continue to go downhill because he’s fucking terrible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2