You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Don't quite get some of the Rodgers hatred. The last season was a rail crash no-one would disagree especially after finishing second the year before in the most exciting campaign we have had in the PL before this one. I still largely blame him for the tactics against Chelsea which ultimately cost us the title but some of the football we played that season was breathtaking . Ultimately he wasn't good enough but far from the worst manager we've had.

Personally I don't wish him any harm and don't really care what he does or doesn't do in the rest of his career.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Don't quite get some of the Rodgers hatred. The last season was a rail crash no-one would disagree especially after finishing second the year before in the most exciting campaign we have had in the PL before this one. I still largely blame him for the tactics against Chelsea which ultimately cost us the title but some of the football we played that season was breathtaking .

I don't blame him for the Chelsea game to be fair if he'd sat back and we'd lost 1-0 he'd have been crucified for changing tactics so I guess you can't win in that situation and who knows he might have done if we'd have come in goalless ....And could you have imagined the tension around the ground if it had been 0-0  with 15 minutes to go with that defence and goalkeeper...

Agree with the football that Arsenal 5-1 game is one the best I've been to in all the years I've been going...Oh and beating the Mancs even under Moyes 3-0 at the "Theatreof Screams" should never be sniffed at.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

I don't blame him for the Chelsea game to be fair if he'd sat back and we'd lost 1-0 he'd have been crucified for changing tactics so I guess you can't win in that situation and who knows he might have done if we'd have come in goalless ....And could you have imagined the tension around the ground if it had been 0-0  with 15 minutes to go with that defence and goalkeeper...

Agree with the football that Arsenal 5-1 game is one the best I've been to in all the years I've been going...Oh and beating the Mancs even under Moyes 3-0 at the "Theatreof Screams" should never be sniffed at.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the tactics against Chelsea. They had the best defence in the league and we went at them like headless chickens. A little more patience and cover at the back was the way to go for me. Mourinho knew exactly what to expect and Rodgers didn't disappoint.

A draw would have been ok and we would probably have beaten Palace.

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on the tactics against Chelsea. They had the best defence in the league and we went at them like headless chickens. A little more patience and cover at the back was the way to go for me. Mourinho knew exactly what to expect and Rodgers didn't disappoint.

A draw would have been ok and we would probably have beaten Palace.

Whats Stevie slipping gotta do with tactics? Tactics were ok up until that catastrophic slip and we were then chasing the game. It wasn’t tactics that lost us that game, it wasn’t Mourinho ‘knowing exactly what to expect’ and getting one over on Rodgers. it was the footballing Gods shitting on one of our greatest ever players. 

Just now, liverpoolsno9 said:

Whats Stevie slipping gotta do with tactics? Tactics were ok up until that catastrophic slip and we were then chasing the game. It wasn’t tactics that lost us that game, it wasn’t Mourinho ‘knowing exactly what to expect’ and getting one over on Rodgers. it was the footballing Gods shitting on one of our greatest ever players. 

And why was Stevie last man ?  Says it all really 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, magicrat said:

And why was Stevie last man ?  Says it all really 

No, it doesn’t. Under normal circumstances there’d be nothing wrong with that passage of play, a bad pass and a slip later and were fucked. Not really any pressure on us at that moment, in possession and we’ve all stepped up start an attack and then that happens, You just can’t legislate for that, no matter what tactics, shit like that happens. If it wasn’t for that slip, Chelsea would never have scored. Nothing to do with tactics, nothing to do with Mourinho ‘knowing exactly what to expect’, do you forensically go through every goal conceded until you can lay blame to fit your narrative? 

4 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

No, it doesn’t. Under normal circumstances there’d be nothing wrong with that passage of play, a bad pass and a slip later and were fucked. Not really any pressure on us at that moment, in possession and we’ve all stepped up start an attack and then that happens, You just can’t legislate for that, no matter what tactics, shit like that happens. If it wasn’t for that slip, Chelsea would never have scored. Nothing to do with tactics, nothing to do with Mourinho ‘knowing exactly what to expect’, do you forensically go through every goal conceded until you can lay blame to fit your narrative? 

I forensically went through that goal more times than I care to recall !

It's been done to death and I don't agree with you but you're entitled to your interpretation as am I.

Unless Rodgers ran on the pitch and went right through Gerrard before he slipped then the blame for that game can't rest on Rodgers. I've said before but Gerrard slipping wasn't his fault. What did piss me off about Gerrard was him spending the 2nd half trying to be superman and make up for his mistake when easier balls were on. 

Henderson being suspended was a big loss too. 

Regardless of him now being Celtic manager, I'd still call out anyone slagging Rodgers off. That was one of my favourite ever seasons supporting us. Sickening end but the journey was magnificent. 

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I forensically went through that goal more times than I care to recall !

It's been done to death and I don't agree with you but you're entitled to your interpretation as am I.

What did you find? A Mole with a Brendan Rodgers mask on jumping up through the grass and taking Gerrard out? 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Unless Rodgers ran on the pitch and went right through Gerrard before he slipped then the blame for that game can't rest on Rodgers. I've said before but Gerrard slipping wasn't his fault. What did piss me off about Gerrard was him spending the 2nd half trying to be superman and make up for his mistake when easier balls were on. 

Henderson being suspended was a big loss too. 

Regardless of him now being Celtic manager, I'd still call out anyone slagging Rodgers off. That was one of my favourite ever seasons supporting us. Sickening end but the journey was magnificent. 

Calm down, Charlotte.

27 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Sorry but it does. A midfielder with the ball should NEVER, under ANY circumstances be in possession of the ball with no defenders behind him. I even think a defender with the ball should also never be last man in possession of the ball but I'm no football coach. But a midfielder? That's footballing insanity and Steven was played as defensive midfielder when really he was anything but that. Not his fault, not his fault he slipped but defenders should have been able to cover that.

Can you imagine Klopp allowing Henderson to be the last man with the ball? His coaching simply would not allow that to happen, I am sure.

Saying that, for the most part I enjoyed Rodgers' tenure as manager but against stubborn defensive teams we really did struggle for the most part. The front three under him were incredible and the midfield diamond also worked very well except for the aforementioned stubborn defences.

18 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

Im sure henderson has been last man with the ball this season. Or at least level with the defenders. 

As has Gini and Fabinho and Milner about 1500 times between them. It happens all the time. Gerrard himself probably done it 10 times in that match alone.

The rewriting of history to make Mourniho some sort of genius gets on my tits heavily.

1 hour ago, Funkasy said:

Im sure henderson has been last man with the ball this season. Or at least level with the defenders. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Lots but it doesn't fit the agenda. 

What is the agenda? Genuine question...Rodgers time as manager for me personally was mostly a good time.

49 minutes ago, No2 said:

As has Gini and Fabinho and Milner about 1500 times between them. It happens all the time. Gerrard himself probably done it 10 times in that match alone.

The rewriting of history to make Mourniho some sort of genius gets on my tits heavily.

Perhaps as a result of a press or tracking back but I would be very surprised if a midfielder since van Dijk has been in defence has received the ball as the last midfielder and is taking the ball forwards with no defenders behind him.

7 hours ago, magicrat said:

Don't quite get some of the Rodgers hatred. The last season was a rail crash no-one would disagree especially after finishing second the year before in the most exciting campaign we have had in the PL before this one. I still largely blame him for the tactics against Chelsea which ultimately cost us the title but some of the football we played that season was breathtaking . Ultimately he wasn't good enough but far from the worst manager we've had.

Personally I don't wish him any harm and don't really care what he does or doesn't do in the rest of his career.

Just the worst to last a full season in my lifetime. 

Even today were still suffering from some of his shit

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

What is the agenda? Genuine question...Rodgers time as manager for me personally was mostly a good time.

Perhaps as a result of a press or tracking back but I would be very surprised if a midfielder since van Dijk has been in defence has received the ball as the last midfielder and is taking the ball forwards with no defenders behind him.

Mate -- it happens every game