You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just now, aRdja said:

Just listening to the guardian football weekly podcast, they’re giving Fabinho a real hard time; “the stand out terrible player on the pitch”, and insinuated that we should’ve signed Torreira instead.

Well they would wouldn't they. Its why these people don't manage football clubs and just talk crap to fill newspaper space.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They're irrelevant to me,and probaby Jurgen Klopp and Fabinho too.

Of course, but it raises an interesting question I thought.. in light of his and Keita’s early season struggles, would we have better off letting them sign for the mid-table teams (like Southampton), see if they could cut it in the premier league?  Once they prove themselves, then we come in and sign then, albeit at a premium...

• Downvote 4

Just now, aRdja said:

Of course, but it raises an interesting question I thought.. in light of his and Keita’s early season struggles, would we have better off letting them sign for the mid-table teams (like Southampton), see if they could cut it in the premier league? Then we come in and sign then once they prove themselves, albeit at a premium. 

Now you are trolling. Please post something sensible instead.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Of course, but it raises an interesting question I thought.. in light of his and Keita’s early season struggles, would we have better off letting them sign for the mid-table teams (like Southampton), see if they could cut it in the premier league?  Once they prove themselves, then we come in and sign then, albeit at a premium...

This raises a couple of questions. Why would Keita and Fabinho turn down Barcelona and Manchester United respectively in order to play for teams like Southampton, could Southampton afford the 100m to sign them, and if not why would their clubs have accepted much less. 

Pure fantasy. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This raises a couple of questions. Why would Keita and Fabinho turn down Barcelona and Manchester United respectively in order to play for teams like Southampton, could Southampton afford the 100m to sign them, and if not why would their clubs have accepted much less. 

Pure fantasy. 

Good point. I just think that we could do with them acclimatising to the league somewhere else, not at our expense.

12 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Trolling how? Most of our best players have come from the premier league e.g., Virgil, Robertson, Milner, Mane.

Or, framing it a different way... Mo Salah, Alisson, Firmino, Coutinho, Torres, Suarez... Carroll, Downing, Adam, Cole. The idea that you buy from the Premier League, you get a settled player goes against all logic. 

We paid through the nose for VVD, getting him before he joined the Premier League would have been better, not worse. And BTW, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Robertson had every bit as much time settling in as either Fabinho or Keita. It’s not about the league they came from, it’s about how they adapt to the club, the team, and the tactics. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Or, framing it a different way... Mo Salah, Alisson, Firmino, Coutinho, Torres, Suarez... Carroll, Downing, Adam, Cole. The idea that you buy from the Premier League, you get a settled player goes against all logic. 

We paid through the nose for VVD, getting him before he joined the Premier League would have been better, not worse. And BTW, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Robertson had every bit as much time settling in as either Fabinho or Keita. 

Exactly. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We paid through the nose for VVD, getting him before he joined the Premier League would have been better, not worse. And BTW, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Robertson had every bit as much time settling in as either Fabinho or Keita. It’s not about the league they came from, it’s about how they adapt to the club, the team, and the tactics. 

The leagues they came from adds another layer of challenges IMO. Neither Ligue 1 nor Bundesliga is close to being as good as the premier league. They’re not used to facing the same calibre of players most weeks here.

• Downvote 1

Just now, aRdja said:

The leagues they came from adds another layer of challenges IMO. Neither Ligue 1 nor Bundesliga is close to being as good as the premier league. They’re not used to facing the same calibre of players most weeks here.

So, how did Suarez do better than Carroll? It’s because one is better than the other. We have had so, so many flops from the Premier League. We’ve had players from the Premier League who have struggled to adapt. It makes little sense. It’s about quality and personality. Yours is the type of thinking that gets you Tom Heaton and Maguire over Alisson and Van Dijk before they joined. 

Anyway, I’m done with this. You’ll never change your view on this. You’ve been saying the same stuff for years, so I’m not going to keep pissing into the wind on this one. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So, how did Suarez do better than Carroll? It’s because one is better than the other. We have had so, so many flops from the Premier League. We’ve had players from the Premier League who have struggled to adapt. It makes little sense. It’s about quality and personality. Yours is the type of thinking that gets you Tom Heaton and Maguire over Alisson and Van Dijk before they joined. 

Anyway, I’m done with this. You’ll never change your view on this. You’ve been saying the same stuff for years, so I’m not going to keep pissing into the wind on this one. 

I was one of the first posters here who advocated signing Van Dijk. Van Dijk is exactly the type of signing I want us to make. 

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I was one of the first posters here who advocated signing Van Dijk. Van Dijk is exactly the type of signing I want us to make. 

Yes, I also want us to make more world record breaking signings that are perfect for us. It’s not really a stretch. It’s when you rule out signings of the quality of Salah and Suarez because they’ve not spent time slogging it out at Huddersfield that the issues start to show. 

Anyway. That’s it. 

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, I also want us to make more world record breaking signings that are perfect for us. It’s not really a stretch. It’s when you rule out signings of the quality of Salah and Suarez because they’ve not spent time slogging it out at Huddersfield that the issues start to show. 

Anyway. That’s it. 

Wasting your time mate.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Every single signing is different - where they have been before etc has little and often no difference on what might follow when they move....succes or failure at one place/in one league etc is no real indicator of how a player might perform elsewhere - even in same league.

Thierry Henry went from Monaco to Juventus and simply did not settle and quickly left....look at what he then did at Arsenal.

Our very own Ian Rush just couldn't settle in Italian footy.

Patrick Viera couldn't get a game at Milan, walked into Arsenal's team the next season and had a 10 year career there and became a legend....

Kante came from France and look at what he has done and how quickly he did it - he went from Caen to leading Leicester to the PL title!

And there are many, many other examples - plus examples like Morientes with us on other side of coin.

There is a myriad of things that mean a player does or does not do business at one place and not at another and vice versa - it is also way too early to make definitive judgements on Fabinho or Keita - although i am sure we all wish both had settled as quickly as say Torreira has at Arsenal.

Hopefully they both will soon.

• Upvote 3

What excuses do PL players have for not adapting straight away to moving to another PL side? It’s almost as if going into a new formation on some occasions and with new teammates is easy for everyone. And that’s just on the pitch.

Moving country, possible language barrier, new culture. Some embrace it better than others. Keita and Fabinho will adapt or they won’t, Klopp thinks they will, just like Robertson has and AOC was.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Just listening to the guardian football weekly podcast, they’re giving Fabinho a real hard time; “the stand out terrible player on the pitch”, and insinuated that we should’ve signed Torreira instead.

It was his second league start for us & he wasn't the 'stand out terrible player on the pitch' at all.

The Guardian & podcasts in general can fuck off.

• Upvote 2

Fabinho would have to cover a lot of ground and pop up all over the pitch to have what is defined as a great game by "experts"

His problem is he is surrounded by work horses that keep the engine running covering an enormous amount of ground (in some cases making up for other deficiencies) Thats not his game at all so he will look ponderous in a game like Arsenal.

Put him in against someone like Juventus and he will look the business