You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hollywood sex pest (Harvey Weinstein)

Boss

Moving away from Tory MPs and their activities with consenting adults:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41821671

Labour activist 'warned' about pursuing rape claim

A Labour activist has revealed she was raped at a party event and that a senior Labour official discouraged her from reporting the attack.

Bex Bailey said she was told reporting the 2011 incident could "damage" her and that she was given no advice on what she should do next.

She told the BBC she had waived her anonymity to urge changes to the way such cases are handled.

Labour said it had launched an independent investigation.

This will look at "claims that a party employee acted improperly over these 2011 allegations", the party said.

The issue of sexual abuse within politics and the parties' response has come under the microscope after recent allegations about sexual harassment in Parliament.

Labour has said "robust procedures" both "inside as well as outside Parliament" are needed and Jeremy Corbyn has written to members urging anyone with a complaint to come forward using "confidential party procedures".

Ms Bailey, who is calling for an independent body free from political "bias", said there was now a recognition that "it's a problem in every party at every level".

'Ashamed'

The 25-year-old is a former member of Labour's ruling National Executive Committee.

In an interview with PM on BBC Radio 4, she said she had been 19 when she was raped by someone senior to her within the Labour Party who was not an MP.

She said she had "tried to pretend it hadn't happened" and did not report the attack to the police at the time.

"I was scared, I felt ashamed, I know that the Labour Party, like any family, loves a good gossip - and I didn't want people to know and I also was worried that I wouldn't be believed if I did," she said.

Two years later, she did confide in a party official.

"It took me a while to summon up the courage to tell anyone in the party," she said.

"But when I did, I told a senior member of staff, who told me... or it was suggested to me that I not report it, I was told that if I did it might damage me - and that might be their genuine view, it might be that that was the case in which case that shows that we have a serious problem in politics with this issue anyway."

Ms Bailey said she was not given good advice and was "not signposted to anyone else that could", and there seemed to be no procedure to report the incident.

Why the fuck is this Bex woman going to her fucking mates? Go to the police? If you've been raped, or even assaulted just short of rape, the police are the ones to tell, not your party colleagues. It's fucking ridiculous how a career path becomes more important than your own health, self respect and peace of mind. It's a criminal act and the best people to tell are the police.

Do they allow heavyweights to take on flyweights?

Maybe I could take on more than one gobshite keyboard warrior at once, to make it fair.

Careful mate, may be biting off more than you can chew there. After all it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that matters.

Do they allow heavyweights to take on flyweights?

Maybe I could take on more than one gobshite keyboard warrior at once, to make it fair.

Hey, fuckpig, you got my location from me ages ago. The only 'keyboard warrior' involved in this is you.

My comment on Bex Bailey was valid; she is lauded for her independence of thought and her work on promoting and maintaining the rights of women in politics. She is/was close friends with, among others, Liz Kendall and Stella Creasey, neither of whom you could call supine or easily intimidated. So, bearing in my mind, that this alleged attack happened in the 21st century not the 19th, why did she not report the crime to the police. I would take the same view had it been a male victim.

I am not attempting to make any point other than that a criminal offence should be treated as such and not dealt with as an 'in house' aberration by a member of a political party that can be dealt with quietly.

I know that the women in my life would have had absolutely no hesitation in bringing swift justice to any such offender. In fact he would have found the police a benign alternative to the females in my family.

Anyway, fuck it, that's what I reckon.