You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Isn't he quite injury prone? I don't think he's all that superior to any of our current options.

Also, he seems another polite Nivea soul.

Ramsey's a lot better than all our midfielders barring Coutinho if that's where he's going to play next season, Can is the only one I'd say could/should end up better. Ramsey's workrate alone causes gaps to appear all over the pitch for the opposition, he's technically better than them all, again barring Coutinho. Ramsey's the ideal Klopp midfielder id say.

With Keita and Ramsey you could effectively play with a two man double pivot and it still seem like three, they're both very good on the ball and run the furthest distances in most games.

• Upvote 1

Some cracking passes in that vid

I thought some of the defending was shocking.  Is there a big match fixing problem in Germany?  It seemed like a lot of those defenders deliberately missed interceptions and tackles.  They wouldn't be allowed to get away with it here.

Ramsey's a lot better than all our midfielders barring Coutinho if that's where he's going to play next season, Can is the only one I'd say could/should end up better. Ramsey's workrate alone causes gaps to appear all over the pitch for the opposition, he's technically better than them all, again barring Coutinho. Ramsey's the ideal Klopp midfielder id say.

With Keita and Ramsey you could effectively play with a two man double pivot and it still seem like three, they're both very good on the ball and run the furthest distances in most games.

I really like Ramsey, but he's best as the more advanced midfielder in a midfield three I reckon. He'd be no good in a midfield two.. his passing isn't really metronomic, and he's a bit sloppy defensively. I'd play him in the role Lallana played in last season.

Lacazette to Arsenal for £45m.

If there's anyone at Anfield who still thinks we can get £40m for Sturridge, surely that will disabuse them.

Bit like Partridge's "Does that mean there will be noise or there won't be noise?", that.

Anyone thinking Sturridge could fetch that sort of fee is an expert in ignoring evidence.

I really like Ramsey, but he's best as the more advanced midfielder in a midfield three I reckon. He'd be no good in a midfield two.. his passing isn't really metronomic, and he's a bit sloppy defensively. I'd play him in the role Lallana played in last season.

I agree he's better now further forward, He's changed his game quite a bit from when he broke into Arsenals team, he used to be very good at keeping the ball and keeping it moving, I remember watching him against Ballack when he was maybe 20 and Ballack couldn't get the ball. He does now however give some sloppy passes in a game.

I went to watch Wales U21s and England in the playoffs a few years ago, Ramsey hadn't long moved to Arsenal and he absolutely battered England's midfield and I mean battered them, he was running the show despite never playing in the Premier League against an experienced midfield of Huddlestone, Milner, Cattermole, O'Hara and Noble who were all quite regular players in the league at the time. He's class he's just another like Oxlade Chamberlain who probably needs to leave to find the next level and fully develop into the players everyone thought they'd be at 17.

• Upvote 1

Style of Play, Strengths and Weaknesses

Emanuel-Mammana.png

Source: GSN Index SRC (Soccer related characteristics): Evaluation & characteristics (30+) which are essential for players +/- statistic: Based on performance data, players receive + and – scores for their actions on the field Potential: Modified economic and financial algorithms which show how a player will develop in the future Level of Play: The system rates and analyses every match a player has played in his entire career

A classy, elegant, ball-playing defender, Mammana’s calm and composed style immediately makes him stand out from his peers.  His time spent as a midfielder when he was younger has bestowed him with technique, a comfort in possession and passing skills that are uncommon in other players in his position and as such Mammana is always looking to play out from the back.

One of Mammana’s main strengths is his ability to intercept and snuff out danger, born out of his exceptional timing and great positional sense.  This in turn means he rarely has to fly into challenges but when he does have to resort to a tackle they are usually well anticipated and pretty clean, highlighted by the fact he rarely picks up many cards.  These characteristics all contribute to his stylish, mature attitude to defending.

Although predominantly a centre back, Mammana has also been used as a right back on various occasions by Marcelo Gallardo due to his technique, intelligence and reading of the game.  Boasting decent pace and a willingness to get forward, the versatile youngster has not looked out of place at full back, even if he is a more defensive option than a typical modern attacking full back.  His effortless flick over the onrushing Willian in the Libertadores clash against Cruzeiro serves as a perfect example of his skilful approach to defending, as well as the way he handles the pressure of performing on the biggest stage for one of the giants of South American football.

His personality and mental attributes are also among his key strengths.  Having had to overcome such personal hardships off the field has moulded him into a determined, resolute and mature individual, something that comes across in the way he plays the game.  A leader on the field, he has consistently been one of the reference points of various Argentina youth teams, along with club-mate and goalkeeper Augusto Batalla.

There is room for improvement though and his tendency to bring the ball out from defence has occasionally caught him out when a direct approach may have been more advisable. Hopefully these odd mistakes can be ironed out and his decision-making improved with experience. One other area that could use some work is some extra strength as he is still rather wiry and, though his marking is good, against more physical opponents could be outmuscled.  Standing at six foot tall, he is good in the air but he could also use some added aerial dominance to his game.  These should improve over time and are often offset by partnering him alongside a more physically imposing centre back such as Jonathan Maidana or Eder Alvarez Balanta