You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

But does it exist in any meaningful capacity ? that's the problem.

The great majority of flashpoints appear to be disagreements between supporters of Israel and supporters of Palestine & even Jesus Christ would be hard put to sort them out never mind Corbyn. Other than the previously-mentioned arguments , I can't think for a second why any normal Labour-supporter would have any reason to be anti-Semitic. Surely the ' Jews own the world ' shit is barmy, right-wing stuff ?

They seem to think it does.

It’s obviously a societal problem, not limited to Labour. But it does seem to have been ignored at the very least.

You bunch of racist cunts. Hope you all like getting punched.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Interesting reading , Denny.

I think things could get bloody in the next twelve months as all of the recent discontent ( not just the anti-semitic stuff ) seems to be a last-hurrah stand by the right wing Labour members now that the left wing have finally got control of the NEC and winkled their main asset , MacNicol out of Labour headquarters.

Can see a fair amount of the right-wingers announcing they will not stand next time & noticed Jarvis looking to bale out for a mayoral job.

What other anti Semitic acts have been made by Labour members? I genuinely want to know where all this stems from. It's bizarre.. "I want secure jobs, stronger working rights.. oh and death to all jews".

There was a good thread on Twitter with examples, which he's now turned into a blog post:

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/anti-semitism-is-a-problem-in-labour-and-i-can-prove-it/

I think the article loses a lot of credibility when it seeks to weaponise the NEC following of a long standing disciplinary process against Livingstone and goes on to use such formal necessity to imply that Corbyn is in some way involved in ensuring Livingstone's continued membership of the party, implying indifference to antisemitism.

I've read the Twitter thread.

He's hihlighted about 25 to 30 cases in a party of 552,000 members.

Factor in that some of the cases that he's mentioned are not antisemitism and that the majority of those involved have been disciplined and, while they're unwelcome occurrences, the numbers are small.

The bit about Corbyn being added to Facebook groups where antisemitic posts have been made is such pathetic clutching at straws. I got added to a group for Cat Pictures and a boycott the S*n one. I didn't do it myself. And, I just read what pops up in my newsfeed. I don't drive into every comment that's made. And I'd imagine I have a lot more free time than the leader of the Labour party.

Not sure inadequate presentation is the real issue here, but okay.

I didn't mention presentation. I think the content is shit. I've not read the twitter thread because I couldn't find it, but I don't doubt there are some bad apples in there Labour Party. I don't feel like he adequately demonstrated that in his blog, though. Which is why I thought it was shit.

The Jewish organisation The Board Of Deputies are now "issuing demands" to Labour and Corbyn and are ramping up the rhetoric that Corbyn mightn't be up to the job of tackling the (alleged) problem of antisemitism in the Labour party and are using phrases like "leadership change."

Well, that's an entirely unexpected surprise...

The Jewish organisation The Board Of Deputies are now "issuing demands" to Labour and Corbyn and are ramping up the rhetoric that Corbyn mightn't be up to the job of tackling the (alleged) problem of antisemitism in the Labour party and are using phrases like "leadership change."

Well, that's an entirely unexpected surprise...

Here's the President of the Board Deputies commenting on the better than expected showing of Corbyn in the last General Election.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-jewish-leader-election-result-a-loss-for-community-and-israel/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"While Labour stunned pollsters and pundits by clawing back from a deficit that at one point stretched to 26 points, no party gained the necessary 326 seats in the House of Commons to form a majority government, and none can therefore claim the election was an absolute triumph.

Jonathan Arkush, president of Board of Deputies. (Courtesy)

For the Jewish community and Israel, however, the result was unequivocally a “loss,” at least according to Jonathan Arkush, the lay leader of British Jews as the president of the Board of Deputies umbrella group.

“If the governing party, which is a strong supporter of Israel, loses so much ground, then of course it has to be something of a loss for Israel and the Jewish community,” Arkush, who is currently in Israel, told The Times of Israel in an interview Friday morning.

And that loss is compounded, he said, when it comes to the gains by Labour. Corbyn’s party, said Arkush, “has policies that are supportive of Israel, supportive of the two-state solution,” but will see its “far-left faction, which is far less sympathetic to Israeli concerns,” bolstered by the strong showing."

There's more...

An agreement between the UK’s Conservative Party and the Democratic Unionist Party would be “positive news” for the country’s Jewish community and for Israel, President of the Board of Deputies of British Jews Jonathan Arkush told The Jerusalem Post on Friday.

The DUP, the largest party representing Northern Irish unionists, agreed to support Prime Minister Theresa May’s minority government on an informal basis in parliament, according to reports Saturday night, following Thursday’s national election in which May fell short of a parliamentary majority.

Arkush and his colleagues recently met in Belfast with DUP leader Arlene Foster and the party’s Westminster leader Nigel Dodds, whom he described as having been “exceptionally warm and friendly.”

So,one of the main pushers of the demonstration and the author of the letter to Corbyn appears to be pro-Israel, concerned about the effect a Corbyn government will have on Israel, happy with the Tory and DUP stance on Israel and is now making noises/suggestions that Corbyn should be replaced as Labour leader.

It's not that difficult to join the dots. Regarding these protests, I'm getting the words "vested interest"....

I don’t know who they think they are kidding. Nobody is getting Corbyn out. There’s half a million people in the Labour Party and the vast majority appear to have joined because of him. These laughable smears and whinging from the usual suspects aren’t suddenly going to change the membership’s views on Corbyn.

The only thing the smears will do is potentially damage voting for Labour itself which then leads you to ask the question why are MP’s like Umuna, Phillips and Berger doing this and repeatedly. The answer is pretty obvious when you think about it. They would rather see a Tory govt than a labour one run by Corbyn which is even more astounding when you think of just how right wing the current Tory govt is. The fact that one of these MP’s is in one of the safest and left wing seats in the country particularly rankles. It makes you wonder how she’s going to last what methods and lengths the local party will have to take to oust her.

What it has also done has shown up a particular type of person in our society. A lot of labour supporting celebrities fit into this class. They’re people who realise that the tories are inherently bad for people who aren’t rich. They’re a Party based on keeping the class structure in place so they can stay on the gravy train. So what they do is they support labour because labour want to protect the NHS, the vulnerable etc. The problem comes when that means the policies have to change to fund it.

A prime example is JK Rowling although there are plenty of them. They all hate Corbyn. Despite the fact that Corbyn is one of the few genuine people in parliament who has stood up for what’s right his whole career. He’s trying to change the party structure itself so that members will have more of a say meaning the party isnt run behind the scenes by faceless men in suits who have tended to put right wing people in positions of power and as candidates for MP. They’re the people who have enabled the tories and the right wing all these years.

They all hid behind the stick they gave him by saying they liked his policies but wanted him ousted because he couldn’t win an election and that meant the policies would never happen. They wanted another Blair type bullshitter in like Owen Smith but wouldn’t accept the problems that come with that are that the party becomes a dictatorship again. You would have maybe then expected the general election results would have then meant the stick would stop coming because he clearly is electable.

Instead they just all jump on these right wing smears which makes clear that it’s not the man they have a problem with it’s the policies. They like the idea that they aren’t tories but their actions suggest otherwise.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1