You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boring anecdotes

Reckoner

A dull anecdote about dull anecdotes.

A few years ago i got sick of people's completely dull facebook status updates like "Just been the chippy for special fried rice....with *tag in girlfriends name*" or "staying in....with  *tag in girlfriends name*", so i went out of my way to put in the most tediously uninteresting status updates of all time. I tried to do it without a hint of sarcasm and i think the majority of my mates got on to it, but i did get a fewf PM's asking if i was alright, always off females.  

I walked past a girl I used to pal around with in my late teens. I recognised her but she didn't recognise me. So I walked faster to overtake her. I then noticed her getting on the same train as me. She walked by me again and still didn't recognise me. Or else she does and wants to forget all about it.

I spewed up a few months ago and was surprised to find there didn't appear to be any carrot content in it. So that story about there 'always' being carrot in your spew even when you haven't eat any is nothing more than an old wives tale to me. I was going to write to my MP but after some consideration I thought better of it.

We went to aintree for the thur-fri of grand national weekend as we've done a fair few times as a bit of a Uni reunion. Trouble is the small group we started with has dwindled as ones unreliable, and two others are in Dubai and Australia, so we basically drafted a few replacements in to make sure we had a decent number. About 8 of us, maybe 9.

Anyway, getting to the point, one lad who was drafted in had been on a golfing holiday the week prior and having just got back had it pretty firmly on the brain.

The problem is that he's a bit autistic and while he's a lovely lad and very funny, you're mostly laughing at rather than with.

Sat down for dinner in Buffet Star in town after a day on the beer at the races, he begins to tell a tape from his golf weekend. The three lads that travelled over from Leeds with him on the train had heard it already so rolled their eyes. The rest of us listened in amazement as he took twenty minutes to tell the most boring anecdote I've ever heard, which I summed up for him when he'd finished by saying: "so, you nearly missed golf, but then didn't?" To which he nodded his head and said "aye".

We obviously pissed ourselves laughing at him.

The next night we went back to get changed after the races before heading into town, and he started to tell the same tale to the taxi driver on the way in. We were pudding ourselves again as the driver pulled to an urgent stop on ullet road, stated across at him in the passenger seat, and said with a completely straight face "get out, that's the most boring thing I've ever heard, get out"

Has anyone actually mentioned it to yer mate - that he might be a bit fucking repetitive on the story telling? If you are a bit of an autistic spaccer self awareness when yer having a ramble is pretty limited. Took me years to get onto the eye rolling as I retold a story for the umpteenth time, now I can appreciate it and laugh at myself when i get onto it.

I was cleaning inside a shower this morning listening to music on my iphone headphones when the phone rang. "Thats odd" I thought, " I dont normally get a signal here" and scrambled to answer it. 

It was then that I realised that my phone in fact wasnt ringing but The Back of Love by Echo & the Bunnymen had come on, the opening bars of which are my ringtone. I did have a chuckle. 

• Upvote 1

Talking of showers, ours has had a leak for a couple weeks, been waiting for a plumber based neighbour to come over and take a look.

Turns out the drain pipe had come loose against one of the other pipes and the washer simply wasn't tight against it to stop some leakage.

Got on my hands and knees the other day and tightened it up after checking all the pipes were right after a brainwave.

The result now? No leaks on our bathroom tiles.

Chuffed with it

Last night my taxi driver didn't take cards and I was slightly short of the cash amount. He let me off and I didn't have to be arse- raped or anything

Maybe he posts on here, and having read your non-butty dipping soup pretensions and no milk in tea filthy deviance, didn't fancy risking bad shithouse dog AIDS.