You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Dentist

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Jesus, I’m now haunted by the thought of those braces. She’s got to get that sorted just to give me piece of mind. 

They don't really cause her much trouble, so there's never been a pressing need to deal with them.

The dentist who put them in has been awarded an MBE (not, I hope, for the braces).

38 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I remember when I was younger, I went in because I had tooth pain, and the dentist filled the tooth next to the one that had pain. Top banter. The original tooth eventually had to be removed.

My missus has braces behind her teeth that she had put on as a teenager which were supposed to come off after six months. They're still there and no dentist will touch them with a barge pole now.

The dentist I have now is pretty decent though, when I eventually move back to the correct side of the Mersey one of the few downsides will be losing his services.

There’s nothing to stop you staying with your current dentist is there?

2 minutes ago, Champ said:

There’s nothing to stop you staying with your current dentist is there?

Well, I don't know. It's less than a 10 minute walk from mine, which will obviously not be the case if I'm living in Liverpool. If it's possible it may be worth the inconvenience.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Well, I don't know. It's less than a 10 minute walk from mine, which will obviously not be the case if I'm living in Liverpool. If it's possible it may be worth the inconvenience.

It’s probably at the dentist’s discretion but my son’s now living in Glasgow but the dentist has no issue with him staying with his practice in Edinburgh 

• 5 months later...
On 11/09/2015 at 09:31, Bjornebye said:

Cracked a tooth at the weekend. Half way to work this morning and had to turn back because it has started hurting. Feels like im biting tin-foil, absolutely disgusting pain. Not registered with a dentist down here so called 111. They have got me an appointment at Portsmouth Uni Dentist in an hour.

Its free work which is ace but..... Im going to die aren't I. A drill into the brain or something. Bye all. Fucking hate dentists.

So this tooth from 9 years ago had been pretty fine since the work done after I posted this. The lad said I’ll need a root canal at some point but it will be fine for now….. 

Had a bit of sinusitis earlier in the week which caused pressure in the top of my mouth. This lead to an abscess above this tooth. I sat up on Wednesday night with a bottle of 12 year old Glenfiddich that was a birthday gift dosed up on drugs. 

Thankfully my birds mate is a dentist around the corner from me so got me in yesterday. Two injections including one on the roof of my mouth that absolutely fucking killed that she had to do again an hour later because her next patient took longer than she thought. She took the tooth out but the worst bit was when she started nicking at the abscess. Never known pain like it I felt like I was in an electric chair trying to stay still. I’ve always had a high pain threshold but Jesus I could have cried. It’s killing this morning she said it will for a few days. She’s putting a bridge in for me in 8 weeks. Now I’ve got a gap to the right of my smile line. I look like an even bigger cunt now. 

Toothache is the worst pain known to man 

• Upvote 2

Strangely enough I'm at the Dentist this morning at 10 o'clock for a filling , since I finished work I think I've spent close on £600 having work done all private of course not a fucking chance of a NHS dentist here in Wrexham 

7 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Strangely enough I'm at the Dentist this morning at 10 o'clock for a filling , since I finished work I think I've spent close on £600 having work done all private of course not a fucking chance of a NHS dentist here in Wrexham 

Jesus! Good luck! 

12 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Thanks I had one out in January fuck it knocked me for six spent the day in bed after it eating mashed up  Cornflakes 

I remember you saying. Horrible horrible pain. 

• Upvote 1

Dental abscesses are fucking horrendous. As is tooth ache in general. It’s the worst when it hurts all down your neck and into your shoulder. And when you can’t sleep with it. It’s so frustrating. 

I had to get a denture recently. It was a crowned tooth and a liquorice toffee managed to pull the crown off, along with a decent sized bit of the remaining tooth. 

Similar to @Bjornebye, it was visible when I smiled. I was with an NHS dentist so the cost wasn’t going to be too bad. But, they kept on cancelling appointments on me. A few times without informing me but swearing blind that they’d sent me a text. 

And, while they’re the experts, I wasn’t happy with the treatment plan as they wanted to leave the retained root in and put the denture over it. I read that  that can work but it can also cause pain if the denture puts pressure on the retained root. 

I went private instead. The treatment just seemed a whole lot better and professional. No cancelled appointments. And they said that the suggestion of leaving the retained root in was really bad practice and that NHS dentists try to minimise the treatment they do as they only get paid the one set fee under the band payment system. 

The dentist I had was Romanian and she wouldn’t have looked out of place in their women’s Olympic shot putting team. 

Ended up paying around £800 all in with a standard new patient check up, hygienist visit, extraction and denture. I apparently have a very strong bite so she thought that a bridge wouldn’t be strong enough and could snap on me. 

It’s a dear do and a national disgrace that loads of people can’t get in to see a decent NHS dentist anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Dental abscesses are fucking horrendous. As is tooth ache in general. It’s the worst when it hurts all down your neck and into your shoulder. And when you can’t sleep with it. It’s so frustrating. 

I had to get a denture recently. It was a crowned tooth and a liquorice toffee managed to pull the crown off, along with a decent sized bit of the remaining tooth. 

Similar to @Bjornebye, it was visible when I smiled. I was with an NHS dentist so the cost wasn’t going to be too bad. But, they kept on cancelling appointments on me. A few times without informing me but swearing blind that they’d sent me a text. 

And, while they’re the experts, I wasn’t happy with the treatment plan as they wanted to leave the retained root in and put the denture over it. I read that  that can work but it can also cause pain if the denture puts pressure on the retained root. 

I went private instead. The treatment just seemed a whole lot better and professional. No cancelled appointments. And they said that the suggestion of leaving the retained root in was really bad practice and that NHS dentists try to minimise the treatment they do as they only get paid the one set fee under the band payment system. 

The dentist I had was Romanian and she wouldn’t have looked out of place in their women’s Olympic shot putting team. 

Ended up paying around £800 all in with a standard new patient check up, hygienist visit, extraction and denture. I apparently have a very strong bite so she thought that a bridge wouldn’t be strong enough and could snap on me. 

It’s a dear do and a national disgrace that loads of people can’t get in to see a decent NHS dentist anymore. 

Jaws here...

have had root canal and a tooth pulled. 

got the root canal first, oddly enough, the day before our opening day victory against Villa, in Villa park when Gerrard scored that late free kick. 

Ill never forget the toothache i had that weekend when i was in birmingham with my mates and two of their brothers. i couldnt help but look at these two gummy fucks that lived on cans of coke and cigarettes, yet i was the one chewing nurofen plus like they where goinbg out of fashion. 

fast forward 10 plus years and just as covid was kicking in i had the worst tootache ive ever had. My mouth was so sore, i could only eat natural yoghurt. 

this was my first and only tooth pull. to be fair to the dentist, she wanted to do root canal, but after the last one being, what i thought painful, i just wanted the tooth pulled. 

however, in hindsight, i should have gotten the root canal. I found the pain after a tooth pull much worse than the root canal, also the recovery time for a molar, which mine was, seemed to take weeks. Having a big hole in your gob was fucking horrible. 

next time, ill taje the dentists advice and get a root done

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

have had root canal and a tooth pulled. 

got the root canal first, oddly enough, the day before our opening day victory against Villa, in Villa park when Gerrard scored that late free kick. 

Ill never forget the toothache i had that weekend when i was in birmingham with my mates and two of their brothers. i couldnt help but look at these two gummy fucks that lived on cans of coke and cigarettes, yet i was the one chewing nurofen plus like they where goinbg out of fashion. 

fast forward 10 plus years and just as covid was kicking in i had the worst tootache ive ever had. My mouth was so sore, i could only eat natural yoghurt. 

this was my first and only tooth pull. to be fair to the dentist, she wanted to do root canal, but after the last one being, what i thought painful, i just wanted the tooth pulled. 

however, in hindsight, i should have gotten the root canal. I found the pain after a tooth pull much worse than the root canal, also the recovery time for a molar, which mine was, seemed to take weeks. Having a big hole in your gob was fucking horrible. 

next time, ill taje the dentists advice and get a root done

I should have got a root canal with this one years back when they told me to. The pain this evening is brutal, about 80% of the other night. I’ve just poured a whisky and to my horror I’ve only got a large glass left. I almost drank a full bottle the other night and it didn’t even touch me, just numbed the pain a bit. No hangover fuck all. 

Feel like the side of my face is in a vice. If some turkey teeth fella told me he had it done to fuck toothache off and not for aesthetic purposes I’d shake his hand. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I should have got a root canal with this one years back when they told me to. The pain this evening is brutal, about 80% of the other night. I’ve just poured a whisky and to my horror I’ve only got a large glass left. I almost drank a full bottle the other night and it didn’t even touch me, just numbed the pain a bit. No hangover fuck all. 

Feel like the side of my face is in a vice. If some turkey teeth fella told me he had it done to fuck toothache off and not for aesthetic purposes I’d shake his hand. 

genuinely nothing worse than really bad toothache. 

get yourself some nightnurse, at least you'll sleep

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

genuinely nothing worse than really bad toothache. 

get yourself some nightnurse, at least you'll sleep

Might have to send her out in her pyjamas for some whisky. If I ask for night nurse she’ll make all sorts of accusations! 

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Might have to send her out in her pyjamas for some whisky. If I ask for night nurse she’ll make all sorts of accusations! 

Try Orajel Extra Strength. 

You apply it directly to the area causing pain and it pretty much deadens it due to the Benzocaine that’s in it. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Try Orajel Extra Strength. 

You apply it directly to the area causing pain and it pretty much deadens it due to the Benzocaine that’s in it. 

I had some but used the last of it. Good stuff that