You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Formation/tactics - what's the plan for the season with this squad?

ritchie

Benteke

Countinho Firmino

Moreno Henderson Milner Clyne

Sakho Skittles Cann

Will be our best way to start season but I'm worried if Brendan Starts with the slow paced 4-3-3 possession based but fruitless formation that he'll be out before christmas

Ings (or Ibe) Benteke Sturridge

Coutinho Hendo Milner (or Firmino)

Moreno Sakho Skittles Clyne

Would prob be our most potent 4-3-3 team with 3 finishers up top

Mignolet

Clyne Skrtel Sakho Moreno

Can

Milner Henderson

Coutinho

Firmino Benteke

That's how I expect to start the season with Coutinho and Firmino roaming behind Benteke, I don't see Milner playing the deepest of our cms when he is our best crosser and we have Benteke up front.

I think that will be the way we will start off too. 

Can might hold on to a place or he might not. He has a lot of talent and I'm not sure defensive midfielder is the right spot for him since he likes to get forward, but it will be interesting to see what happens. Allen might have more discipline for the role. 

We might also go with a central midfield two of Henderson and Milner. This will probably leave us short against the better teams, but what they have going for them is their ability to press and keep going, so I don't think they will be overrun as easily as it might look on paper. 

A midfield two will give us the ability to get another attacking player on the pitch, with Sturridge likely (if fit) but then we also have an abundance of other attacking options. 

I like the options we have at our disposal. The question will be whether a settled and balanced team will emerge that will play close to its potential each week. If it does we will go on to have a good season. If we spend half the season making too many changes to try to find a formula that works, we will be way out of it and Brendan might be too. 

It will be interesting to see what happens!

We don't really have enough consistent quality in the side to challenge. We have decent players who will have decent games, and occasionally we will trounce a team, but we will have far too many turgid games where all our inconsistencies just make us labored and stodgy. All those underhit passes, overhit passes, misdirected passes, poor snap decisions, shots straight at the keeper, scuffed shots etc. are just too common and our lack of pure danger and class is too lacking for us to avoid suffering more crappy performances than we can afford. And our defense is not good enough of a cover to keep us in the game when we do play like crap.

The only way this can be avoided is if Benteke and Firmino prove to be a cut above.

• Upvote 3

We don't really have enough consistent quality in the side to challenge. We have decent players who will have decent games, and occasionally we will trounce a team, but we will have far too many turgid games where all our inconsistencies just make us labored and stodgy. All those underhit passes, overhit passes, misdirected passes, poor snap decisions, shots straight at the keeper, scuffed shots etc. are just too common and our lack of pure danger and class is too lacking for us to avoid suffering more crappy performances than we can afford. And our defense is not good enough of a cover to keep us in the game when we do play like crap.

The only way this can be avoided is if Benteke and Firmino prove to be a cut above.

you really are optimistic arent you..ffs eff off.... 

you really are optimistic arent you..ffs eff off....

Have you ever found this has worked? Telling someone to "eff off" on the internet and they actually did?

Perhaps if you worked up the courage to use the word "fuck," you may see a better return on your obviously well thought out and constructive investment in this thing we call "discussion."

Spot on that.

You left out having a manager who's never won anything and whose responsibility it is to get more out of the players we have.

442 diamond is the best formation to play in the PL. With the full backs adding the width. If Rodgers goes with that we have a chance of challenging for CL spot. If he goes 433 or 451 I think we'll struggle.

I also think that if Lovren starts then we are fucked for the season. Rodgers clearly thinks he's worthy of starting and that's extremely worrying.

If things are going shite and he persists even though it's obviously not working, like last season, then he's never going to learn and fundamentally, never will take us forward. Big big season ahead.

• Upvote 1

----------------------------------------------Mignolet

Clyne-------------------------Skrtel===============Sakho--------------------------Gomez

---------------------------------Henderson-------------Milner--------------------------------------

------------------------------------------COUTINHO---------------------------------------------------

--------------ibe---------------------------------------------------------FIRMINO-----------------------

-----------------------------------------BENTEKE-------------------------------------------------------

Sturridge doesn't deserve to walk back in. I like Gomez, offers more defensively. Can to get games so Milner can play in Ibes spot if he needs rest. Rossiter and Wilson to get a chance in the cup,I would have bought a DM, that Illamerendi (sp?) from RM maybe but Brendan might be trying energy and work rate in front of the back four, one minding the shop so to speak, Ilori needs an opportunity,decent u-21 games this summer.                                                  

As much as Andre Wisdom did that first year so yeah - he will do it.

My initial point was that there are all of a sudden calls for Gomez to play on the left side of defence when he's played a couple of friendlies against players that are well below the level he played at even with Charlton. It's some serious extrapolation from that to saying he's shown enough defensively to be then starting him out of position in the PL.

Perhaps my dig at Rodgers has confused matters. I shall just start calling posters on here quims, it keeps waters less muddy.

Dont think the formation matters too much when there are serious question marks over your defence and GK based on them making individual errors due to different factors,whatever they may be.

We will probably be looking to go back to the way we played with Suarez and simply try to overwhelm the opposition based on the mass of attacking minded players we now have.

At least it will be interesting.

Dont think the formation matters too much when there are serious question marks over your defence and GK based on them making individual errors due to different factors,whatever they may be.

We will probably be looking to go back to the way we played with Suarez and simply try to overwhelm the opposition based on the mass of attacking minded players we now have.

At least it will be interesting.

Judging from our preseason games, which is admittedly foolish, Rodgers is trying to make us a bit more solid. He's played a defensive midfielder in every match plus proper full backs not wing backs.