You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

One thing I've noticed on this thread is that we've seen an ideology be linked with violence without any of the usual excuses. If in could be bothered it'd be very interesting to see where the apologists for other ideologies stand. But I can't - but I guess you know who you are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guy Verhofstadt in the European Parliament, to Nigel Farage:

"Finally we are going to get rid of the biggest waste in the EU budget - your salary"

Pissed myself at that earlier, wasn't that right after someone asked him why sells himself as a man of the people but has an offshore financial arrangement?

Looks like your great tory government’s efforts are focusing on imposing restrictions on the E.U. citizens. The rest of the issues appear secondary. I don't know how bad is the situation over there, but how do they think it is going to work? The EU migrants would need points to enter the UK while you would be free to go live anywhere you like and also have full access to the single market?

After all, isn't the survival and sustainability(e.g. pension schemes) of areas like Scotland dependand on immigration, provided that the Scots fuck off abroad as soon as they learn to act or write?

Looks like your great tory government’s efforts are focusing on imposing restrictions on the E.U. citizens. The rest of the issues appear secondary. I don't know how bad is the situation over there, but how do they think it is going to work? The EU migrants would need points to enter the UK while you would be free to go live anywhere you like and also have full access to the single market?

After all, isn't the survival and sustainability(e.g. pension schemes) of areas like Scotland dependand on immigration, provided that the Scots fuck off abroad as soon as they learn to act or write?

Stop pretending you're not from England, you dildo.

• Upvote 5

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/28/brexit-live-cameron-eu-leaders-brussels-corbyn-confidence?page=with:block-5772fad5e4b0dc1d1904a726#block-5772fad5e4b0dc1d1904a726

A surge of interest from Britons eager to obtain Irish passports has been continuing on a day when the Irish government called for calm and said that the processing system was coming under strain.

Here’s what some people at the Irish passport office in South Kensington, London, told me earlier about why they were applying for passports with a harp on the front.

One woman who declined to be filmed admitted that she had voted to leave the European Union last week, but was now concerned about the economic consequences and wanted to get Irish passports for her family.

Most, if not all, were remain voters however, including Dominic Allen, who said: “We have been meaning for a while to reconnect with our Irish roots so Brexit has sort of forced the issue.”

Similar thoughts were on the mind of Oscar Brennan, 17, who came out of the office in South Kensington with an application form tucked under his arm.

“I’ve always had it in the back of my mind to do this because I have always felt a strong connection to Ireland through my parents,” he said. Again, the Brexit vote had prompted him into acting.

“In terms of job prospects you just don’t know what the future is going to hold, so it’s better to be safe than sorry and be equipped to work in Europe.

The magic of brexit.  I can hardly read the news for five minutes without wanting to slap somebody.

Can't fault the others for doing it at all but I'm loving the 'always felt a strong connection to Ireland/have been meaning to get in touch with my roots' angles, I mean just be honest, 'yeah looks like it's all going tits up so fuck it, why not' nobody is going to hold it against you.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/28/brexit-live-cameron-eu-leaders-brussels-corbyn-confidence?page=with:block-5772fad5e4b0dc1d1904a726#block-5772fad5e4b0dc1d1904a726

The magic of brexit.  I can hardly read the news for five minutes without wanting to slap somebody.

Can't fault the others for doing it at all but I'm loving the 'always felt a strong connection to Ireland/have been meaning to get in touch with my roots' angles, I mean just be honest, 'yeah looks like it's all going tits up so fuck it, why not' nobody is going to hold it against you.

I hope / wish Ireland would do the same and 'Irexit' to stop immigration from the UK. Fucking British economic migrants go home!

In Britain, the End of the Establishment

June 27, 2016 3:13 AM EDT
By Pankaj Mishra

Last week, the global revolt against metropolitan elites achieved a stunning result: Brexit. George Orwell once described England as “a family with the wrong members” -- he called them “irresponsible uncles” -- in control. In a deeply fractured country, flourishing London was isolated as a majority of voters left behind by globalization in England and Wales opted to take back that control, just as the catchy slogan of the “Leave” campaign had exhorted.

Time alone will tell, as markets crater and the U.K. reels through panic and fear towards fragmentation, what exactly this wing of the family has seized control of. For now, we should urgently examine the historical role and recent conduct of the peculiar uncles they’ve spurned.

That British leaders have been irresponsible, self-serving and ham-fisted is hardly in doubt. Surrendering to tabloid crusades, British Prime Minister David Cameron made patently false promises about controlling immigration. He then gambled on a referendum of world-shaking consequence in order to silence some pesky dissenters in his own party. Hoping to replace Cameron after Brexit, Boris Johnson rapidly moved from being the pro-European Union mayor of London to fueling Europhobia.

Just a month ago, these politicians were jointly stoking anti-Muslim bigotry in the world’s most multicultural city in an attempt to get a fellow Etonian elected to Johnson’s old job. Together, these schoolboy frenemies have now condemned their country to irreversible decline and isolation while unleashing the demons of racism and chauvinism.

Their folly bears a larger significance in our age of anger against self-seeking elites. Today’s much-hated “establishment” in politics, business and media -- identified with traits such as self-interest, cleverness, wit and agility in debate -- is as much Britain’s special export to the world (British journalist Henry Fairlie actually coined the term), as global capitalism and parliamentary democracy.

It seems appropriate today that quintessentially English public schools such as Harrow and Haileybury run branches in Asia’s rising countries, offering to manufacture globally a self-assured and eloquent ruling class. For the original establishment figure was trained on English playing fields to run a global empire.

Abandoning India during its catastrophic partition in 1947 and hastily retreating to their small island, British elites may have come, as Paul Scott wrote in “The Raj Quartet,” “to the end of themselves as they were.” Certainly, for decades, post-imperial Britain seemed to be slowly shrinking into irrelevance with its self-inflicted economic troubles.  

But Margaret Thatcher’s radical individualism, based on the curious idea that “there is no such thing as society,” made an improvising ruling class look like ideological innovators. Financial globalization, accelerating throughout the 1990s, and the advent of Tony Blair’s “Third Way” boosted this myth of Britain’s economic and intellectual resurrection. In one of the most successful branding exercises of our times, dreary old post-imperial Britain mutated into “Cool Britannia,” the leader of a new global culture that daringly mixed creative classes with businessmen, journalists and technocrats in the world’s metropolises.

In this constellation of British soft power, the Financial Times and the Economist, two London-based periodicals, came to shape opinion among Davos Men globally. It did not seem to matter that the social contract was unraveling in England’s deindustrialized North, or that the region’s inhabitants increasingly felt that there was no such thing as either society or state. For Britain’s hubs of global financial and ideological flows -- the City, the London School of Economics, Oxford and Cambridge universities -- were located within a 50-mile radius. The world’s densest concentration of oligarchs, as well as a supporting infrastructure to help them spend their money, could be found in a single London borough.

Given this proximity, and inbreeding among political, financial and media elites, the now much-derided London “bubble” formed naturally. For many on the European continent, an England in rapid physical and moral decay may have been represented by its xenophobic tabloids and football hooligans -- the kind who chanted “We are voting out” the week before Brexit while assaulting French police in Marseilles.

To many people around the world, however, Britain was still Winston Churchill, the Beatles, Downton Abbey, Harry Potter, the royal family and London’s smooth-tongued PR men. Neocons and liberal hawks in the U.S. counted on the fluent Tony Blair rather than the inarticulate George W. Bush to sell the preemptive assault on Iraq. Members of the British establishment went on to offer their services as expert imperialists during the country’s occupation, with predictably disastrous results.

Since then, the signs of opportunism and recklessness among the self-perpetuating British elite have multiplied. Blair moved from forging democracy in the Middle East to advising African and Asian despots. Impatient to bomb Libya, Cameron was quick, as U.S. President Barack Obama has pointed out, to walk away as the country imploded into jihadism.

Brexit represents, on this scale of crime, a collective suicide bombing. This is how the first globalized elites came to the end of themselves as they were, condemning their own country to disintegration and collapse.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-27/brexit-is-end-of-british-establishment

Have just read an article at The Independent, "David Cameron wanted to unite us – he has just shown how divided we really are."

From the comments :

My God how patronizing, i think you will find most people in the leave side wasn't confused at all.

we knew what we wanted and didnt want, we could see for ourselves what people needed didnt matter anymore, it was all about money and corruption. it was capitalism out of control.

Our own PM lied to parliament, was caught with offshore funds, they were letting big business off paying their proper tax bills while us plebs had to pay for the hole created by more austerity while they gave themselves all nice little tax breaks and pay rises.

this country is corrupt, it favours the elite and lets down the normal person, they even started social cleansing the city of london

17 million of us have had enough, it was a silent revolution

Have just read an article at The Independent, "David Cameron wanted to unite us – he has just shown how divided we really are."

From the comments :

My God how patronizing, i think you will find most people in the leave side wasn't confused at all.

we knew what we wanted and didnt want, we could see for ourselves what people needed didnt matter anymore, it was all about money and corruption. it was capitalism out of control.

Our own PM lied to parliament, was caught with offshore funds, they were letting big business off paying their proper tax bills while us plebs had to pay for the hole created by more austerity while they gave themselves all nice little tax breaks and pay rises.

this country is corrupt, it favours the elite and lets down the normal person, they even started social cleansing the city of london

17 million of us have had enough, it was a silent revolution

Every word of those comments are accurate.  Fuck all to do with the EU though.

Every word of those comments are accurate. Fuck all to do with the EU though.

It's s very eloquent comment. But I agree with you. It may represent some Leave voters, but many more will not have given it that depth of thought.

My mum voted leave (and she's an intelligent woman) because she thinks that Germany is using the EU as a surrogate invasion of, and for dominance of Europe!!

My dad voted Leave because people on the bus don't speak English and we're being overrun by immigrants.

In other news Vodafone are the latest company to say the future of it's UK HQ is dependent on the negotiations with Europe.Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

VF in Newbury is a fucking huge site too, I've been quite a few times with work. If that goes there'll be thousands of jobs lost if they leave. They've got a big site in Stockport too.

VF in Newbury is a fucking huge site too, I've been quite a few times with work. If that goes there'll be thousands of jobs lost if they leave. They've got a big site in Stockport too.

Pretty much anyone who deals in Euros will massively reduce their exposure here if negotiations don't give them access to the single market. VF have even started to show their finances in Euros. I reckon this is the calm before the possible storm.

Pretty much anyone who deals in Euros will massively reduce their exposure here if negotiations don't give them access to the single market. VF have even started to show their finances in Euros. I reckon this is the calm before the possible storm.

Yep.

All these businesses will be in a holding pattern now until the negotiations are over. We keep the single market and free movement of people then they're likely to stay (so frankly what was the point of voting leave in the first place) cut ties and they're likely to do the same.

In the meantime you'll see existing contracts carry on but a hold on awarding new contracts or new investment/jobs.