You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Yep. I also remember him saying that he would activate article 50 immediately upon a 'leave' referencdum result and that he would not step down if Remain lost it, thereby making him a liar at least twice. I guess you missed that whilst you were reading the pop-up book of British politics.

I havent read that one before does it have lots of pictures with big writing and very few words on each page?

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Seems as though investors expected article 50 to be activated quickly but it's been put back a few months so everything has calmed down again. That and the stuff from Carney about QE etc.

That appears to be a reasonable conclusion although many I've spoken to have concluded that project fear is now over given that the world hasn't ended.

The reality is that the instability will begin once article 50 is triggered and will really kick in when it becomes obvious that a right wing tory government has to make a choice between 'taking back control' or maintaining free trade. I assume much of business and the financial service sector will have begun relocating in earnest by that point as they choose to avoid WTO tariffs being applied (and losing the EU passport) not only in the EU but also the fifty plus trade deals negotiated on our behalf by the EU over the last couple of decades.

It's a shame that the remain camp chose to scaremonger and try to convince the population that the world would collapse within 48 hours of a Brexit vote. In reality it'll be a slow decline over the next 18 months as the clock counts down.

Thank god the Brexiteers have promised us we can have it all.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think the markets sense a reluctance to activate Art 50 full stop, and will be happy to wait and see if Parliament can wriggle out of it.

That seems to be the case, because the UK is still in the EU and single market. Once they do activate it and the EU play hard ball on the deals the UK wants there will be turmoil. I was reading an article earlier and some experts are saying it could take a whole lot longer for article 50 to be activated as it is the only bargaining chip the UK has and the EU have already said no talks until it is activated  =  stand off. 

I havent read that one before does it have lots of pictures with big writing and very few words on each page?

All I'm saying is it's machine washable and made of non-toxic materials...

The stage we're at now - we've told the wife we want a divorce, and we're serious.

She's now been to see her solicitor and we've just had the first formal letter from them.

Suddenly, we're wondering if things were really that bad, and the realisation is hitting home that it's us that needs to find a new place to live, not her.

Even if you manage to make it up - it was YOU who asked for the divorce, and she'll never let you forget that.

Now it's us wanting to slow things down, it's all gotten out of hand etc, and we wonder why she's on the warpath?

• Upvote 1

FTSE100 now back above its thursday closing position. In other words, its regained all its 'losses.' The pound is trading around $1.35 and 1.22 euro. Some way to go before they're back to pre thursday levels but the trend is upwards.

Even the FTSE250 has risen over 3% since it fell from fridays's level. And, there's even news of an interest rate cut from the current BoE base rate of 0.5%

Does it have any sharp pointy edges and it wont give me nightmares will it?

It's designed for two three year olds to be able to hit each other over the head with it for an hour without causing significant injuries.  However if understanding British politics these days doesn't give you nightmares, you probably need to read it again.

The stage we're at now - we've told the wife we want a divorce, and we're serious.

She's now been to see her solicitor and we've just had the first formal letter from them.

Suddenly, we're wondering if things were really that bad, and the realisation is hitting home that it's us that needs to find a new place to live, not her.

An amusing analogy even if the last sentence is way off beam.

FTSE100 now back above its thursday closing position. In other words, its regained all its 'losses.' The pound is trading around $1.35 and 1.22 euro. Some way to go before they're back to pre thursday levels but the trend is upwards.

Even the FTSE250 has risen over 3% since it fell from fridays's level. And, there's even news of an interest rate cut from the current BoE base rate of 0.5%

Yeah it's almost like they're reacting to the lack of an immediate attempt to invoke article 50 isn't it?

It's designed for two three year olds to be able to hit each other over the head with it for an hour without causing significant injuries. However if If understanding British politics these days doesn't give you nightmares, you probably need to read it again.

Sounds like a must read i will buy it from Amazon.

• Upvote 1

Yeah but think of all the shagging around you can do and you can watch the footie in the living room and never have to watch all her shit films.

Face facts the blowies had gone she was an annoying bitch it is for the best.

Yeah it's almost like they're reacting to the lack of an immediate attempt to invoke article 50 isn't it?

The UK doesnt need to immediately serve Article 50 notice. Its more likely the markets have got over their knee jerk reaction.

In other news;

President and chief executive of Toyota Motor Europe, Dr Johan van Zyl, also insisted that his company did not foresee job cuts in the short to medium term – which he defined as around ‘six years’ – or the life-cycle of a new car model. 

Dr van Zyl said he Brexit vote was a matter for the British people which had to be respected: ’As a company we respect the decision of the British people. It’s for them to decide what to do.’ 

But he stressed: ’We will continue to support our business in the UK. We have been here since 1997’.

In the UK Toyota employs 2,600 people building up to 190,000 Avensis and Auris cars a year, including hybrids, at its Burnaston car factory in Derbyshire, with more employed at their engine factory on Deeside. 

It has nine manufacturing plants in total across Europe into which it has invested 9billion Euros, and builds 900,000 cars a year.

But Dr van Zyl insisted: ’In the short and medium term, I don’t see any change.’  

Some 40 per cent of the content of UK-built Toyotas was sourced from British suppliers, he said: ‘We are in a continuous drive to increase our local content.’ 

Does anyone actually give a shit about this bollocks?

Seriously starting to worry about Owen Jones's state of mind on Twitter, seems to be going a bit John Coffey, like a man who's just seen too much upsetting shit and wants the chair.

Ways you know you're getting old.  Whenever I see him, my first thought is 'why aren't you in school?' 

The UK doesnt need to immediately serve Article 50 notice. Its more likely the markets have got over their knee jerk reaction.

...because we haven't immediately invoked article 50 like we said were going to do.

Come on ratty, you can do better than this.

Does anyone actually give a shit about this bollocks?

I wouldnt personally call it bollocks.

What I would call bollocks is people thinking the markets are recovering because Article 50 hasnt been served. It not like financial institutions think its not going to be served sometime or other unlike a few here.

Markets move all the time, traders and investors take profits.  They do that by re investing and buying.

Can I save you some time here, by just telling you that you're wasting your time.

I was only entertaining myself whilst my pasta bake finishes cooking mate.  I do have a remarkably low fun threshold these days.