You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ronaldo Vs Ronaldo

Lario

Ronaldo at his peak had the lot though.  Breathtaking pace, strength, great feet and deadly finishing.  Some of these goals are fucking unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8bZhNBQktQ

That's a great video.  Illustrates just how far ahead of everyone he was when he was fit.  Reminds me of going down to the park to play with your son and a few of his friends join in.  You don't ever actually do this, but at the same time you know that any time you want you can just waltz past all of them and put it in.  Maradona did it on occasion as well, and Messi sometimes, but Ronaldo did it regularly.  They aren't just better than the other players, because loads of top players have that, it's the way that they're so much better than the other players while giving the impression they're barely trying.

Put it this way: the Brazilian Ronaldo is the only player I've ever seen who actually approached the "he scores when he wants" level.

• Upvote 1

Romario v Brazilian Ronaldo is a tough call, unlike Ronaldo v Ronaldo.

They're arguably the two best strikers ever.

One of the most overated players ever for comments like this! Seems to be some hipsters view thats developed over the last few years, the reality is he wasn't even the best striker at the club he was at in his prime!

Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't get enough credit in my opinion. He's scored more goals than he's played games for Real Madrid.

I'd still rather Ronaldo mind.

This is the thing, his record is unbelievable but for all those goals he has only won 1 league title in 7 years

His quest for personal glory is detrimental to the team

Brazilian Ronaldo all the way for me!

• Upvote 1

Romario was absolutely sensational. Back in the days when on terrestrial TV you had to hope Football Focus would do a round-up of the European scene and show his goals for PSV.

That goal against Milan where he juggled the ball in the penalty area surrounded by one of the best defences of all-time remains one of my favourite football moments.

A genius.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, and we're the hipsters.

I was obsessed with European football back then, there wasn't that much between them ability wise but for a brief period i'd have said Stoichkov was prob the best player in the World due to the injuries Baggio was getting. Without going back and checking stats i'm sure Stoichkov would of polled better in player of the years as well as out scoring him in a World cup he won.

That's a great video.  Illustrates just how far ahead of everyone he was when he was fit.  Reminds me of going down to the park to play with your son and a few of his friends join in.  You don't ever actually do this, but at the same time you know that any time you want you can just waltz past all of them and put it in.  Maradona did it on occasion as well, and Messi sometimes, but Ronaldo did it regularly.  They aren't just better than the other players, because loads of top players have that, it's the way that they're so much better than the other players while giving the impression they're barely trying.

Put it this way: the Brazilian Ronaldo is the only player I've ever seen who actually approached the "he scores when he wants" level.

It's the best video of him I can find on Youtube that one, miles better than that '10 best goals' one.  You're absolutely spot on with what you said there, you can see it in pretty much every one of those goals - he had the ability to just turn it up a notch and play at a different level to everybody around him.

He had everything, so technicaly gifted with the ball, but allied to phenomenal physical attributes, he had all the strength of a proper old-school forward and was almost impossible to knock off the ball.  Even though I've watched that vid probably 50 times or more, I still let out an involuntary splutter or a quiet 'fucking hell' at least once every time I watch it.  Most of those goals aren't going in against mugs either, some of the best defenders in Europe are being embarassed by him there.  An absolute monster of a player.

• Upvote 1

To be fair I loved Stoichkov as a kid as well. Majestic player.

Always remember a group of people in a nightclub in Sofia trying to breach the language barrier with me and a mate.

None of us were getting anywhere so I brought up the legend Hristo, in the hope it would at least lead to a few smiles and thumbs ups to replace all our pinched expressions.

The biggest fella in the group looked at me like he was going to put my face into the wall and they all fucked off shortly afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Symptomatic of the shitnesss of modern football that a man who has 1 league title in 6 seasons with the richest club in the world is heralded as one of the best ever.

Most kids get their first exposure to footy through video games now, because of the expense of the sport. They naturally gravitate to whoever has the best 'stats'.