You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Yeah but Spurs have more fa cups and league cups. They're actually equally placed if you look at most successful English clubs lists.

I'd never have thought that Chelsea or City would be bigger than us but Chelsea have surpassed us and City are well on their way to doing so. With a more ambitious owner and a bit more nous Spurs could make up a lot of ground on us. File it under the shitness of modern football.

When you look at some of the names on the all time history list, you'll see Newcastle, Sunderland, Huddersfield, PNE etc... it shows how over decades, things can change. Once big clubs have fallen by the wayside. Nobody really though United would have a 25 year reign. They might win a couple of leagues and some more trophies, but nobody thought they'd do what they did. For that matter, nobody thought Liverpool would dominate Europe as they did (certainly not until the 70s).

You just never know what's going to happen. For all any of us know, West Ham might move into the Olympic Stadium, get Klopp, and become the next Dortmund. Never say never.

Sorry, but not having it that Chelsea are bigger than us.

Trophies won and worldwide support, we piss all over them. Don't get me wrong, it could conceivably change in my lifetime, even sooner rather than later if we don't sort our shit out. At the moment though? Nah, they're about level pegging with Arsenal in terms of overall stature.

The only English team bigger than us, it pains me to say, are the Mancs.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but not having it that Chelsea are bigger than us.

Trophies won and worldwide support, we piss all over them. Don't get me wrong, it could conceivably change in my lifetime, even sooner rather than later if we don't sort our shit out. At the moment though? Nah, they're about level pegging with Arsenal in terms of overall stature.

The only English team bigger than us, it pains me to say, are the Mancs.

Yeah no way they're a bigger club than us. 

We're a Rolls Royce with no engine, they're a Ford Puma being driven by the financial equivelent of Ayrton Senna. 

• Upvote 1

I think Benteke would score about 20 goals, a season, here.

Without any crosses to feed on?

I like him, but he's basically just a better version of Lambert in terms of style. He's nothing like the type of striker needed to make Rodgers' style effective, so unless he's going to completely change that then what's the point in buying Benteke?

Ings is actually a much better fit, and I'm not saying he's the answer before anyone jumps on me!

Just feels like there is absolutely no plan to ANYTHING we do these days.

• Upvote 1

I reckon Lambert could have got close to 20 for us if he played every single game and we built the team around him. Afterall, he got 14 and 15 in his two seasons in the Premier League for Southampton. But that's the sort of thing a team does that is aiming to finish in the top half.

• Upvote 1

Hasn't Benteke even attributed his upturn in form to a change in style since Lambert was binned? I'm sure I remember reading something where he said that previously he was working the channels and was never in the box to capitalise on balls played in, whereas Sherwood has them playing through him at every opportunity, telling him to play it wide when he receives the pass and to be on his toes for the cross.

I think he's an alright player but he'd be a baffling signing for us, which is pretty much in keeping with our whole policy, I suppose. If you sent someone from the club out to get bread and milk for you, they'd come back with some spaghetti hoops and a pack of turkey twizzlers.

• Upvote 2

I like him, but he's basically just a better version of Lambert in terms of style. He's nothing like the type of striker needed to make Rodgers' style effective, so unless he's going to completely change that then what's the point in buying Benteke?

Ings is actually a much better fit, and I'm not saying he's the answer before anyone jumps on me!

He's definitely limited and not a 30m player. However, I think he's very effective in this league and you don't need a lot of nous to score goals in England if you're powerful and explosive. As far as the money goes, I've given up thinking we're going to spend our money well, but we can spend it less badly, which I think describes Benteke.

11-14 league goals, 3-4 in the domestic cups and a couple in the Europa? To me that sounds doable and I reckon he would comfortably get that.

There's no point, at all, in us having a quick striker if the opposition back-line sits on the edge of their 18 yard area.

Benteke is a very handy striker, but we still lack the sort of players that crack open and panic a shithouse defence by getting in behind them, or walking through them, a la Suarez.

My ideal scenario for the team would be for us to play 4123. However, in order to do this we need:

2 dependable full backs.

1 dependable defensive midfielder.

2 top class attackers with pace and end product.

I don't care about names, Christ, I could get on board with Kieran Trippier and Papa Soare, and then Schneiderlin as DM. What would that set us back, £35m? Sounds a lot, IS a lot, but that's 3 first choice positions nailed down. Problem positions.

Ahead of Schneiderlin I'd play football. IN centre mid I'd have Coutinho and Milner, with tireless running and sly passing. Intelligent players, nothing too fancy, just great ball players with great engines who can find feet in tight positions, or slide it in behind when it's on.

Then we get to the bit where you have to get it right. Selling Sterling, obviously.

Ibe gets a mention, and Lallana can hang around, with Origi and maybe Markovic, but we need two great signings here.

Yarmolenko, Vietto, Konoplyanka, that sort of winger-cum-forward.

Chelsea nailed it with Hazard.

Benteke and Sturridge and *sigh* Ings play the striker role.

• Upvote 1

I'd flog Sterling (snigger) then go and buy De Bruyne and Fermino. A 4231 with A new DM or whatever Rodgers constitutes as a DM alongside Milner or Hendo with Coutinho, De Bruyne and Fermino playing off Benteke or Sturridge has bags of creativity and maybe a few goals. A right back who can cross and an upgrade on Mig and we could break the top 4 but let's not kid ourselves about money.

What'd we get for Joe Allen?

I'm undecided regarding Benteke, the problem is that we'll probably get financially raped to sign him and I really doubt that the current manager can make a good use of him.  He will also be presented as the "marque signing", which he certainly isn't.

I'll repeat again that I believe that regardless who is the manager next season we need to sign Milner. Yes, he is nowhere near as good as Gerrard or Alonso, but I'm really fed up with the lack of strength and experience in our midfield. He knows and he has won the Premier League, he is strong and versatile and he can prove very useful tool to Mr Ancelotti or Klopp.  I'm keen on this signing. Any news from the Milner front?

Yeah but Spurs have more fa cups and league cups. They're actually equally placed if you look at most successful English clubs lists.

I'd never have thought that Chelsea or City would be bigger than us but Chelsea have surpassed us and City are well on their way to doing so. With a more ambitious owner and a bit more nous Spurs could make up a lot of ground on us. File it under the shitness of modern football.

Chelsea and City have better squads, but not a chance they are bigger clubs then us.

Chelsea and City have better squads, but not a chance they are bigger clubs then us.

I'm not saying City are yet, but what are you basing the term 'big' on? I'm not even saying that they unequivocally are bigger but if you used the sensible criteria of history, success, comercial pull, fan base, and pulling power I don't see how it's not at least a close race. Same with Arsenal. City have work to do but they're catching us quicker than we are moving away.

Mike gordon says we sign him then we sign him. Worry about fitting him in later.

Can we put out An appeal like steve finnan but for the purslow cock banner touch up the cock and make mike gordon cock pisspartridged with the purslow banner but with mike gordon dawbed on. If it cant be located get a beachball or helicopter to draw the mike gordon phallus? Get carra to donate a autographed pen or something.

• Upvote 2

Benteke would be perfect!

We have enough midget fancy dans,need to concentrate on power and balls this summer before we buy anymore midget Messis

Instead of team sitting on edge of box blocking us off with ease.we would have an Ariel and physical presence which will give opposition more too worry about

A big strong powerful spine is what's we need now

• Upvote 2

Pfft, the plan is to buy players then see if they fit the system.