You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle Class Generalisation Thread

Section_31

When my daughter started going to ballet, I tried to kid myself that it wasn't that posh, it's just like an after school sport activity, only more girly I told myself. 

Today I found out 2 of the names of her classmates; Primrose (not Rosie or anything for short) and Harriet. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Remmie said:

When my daughter started going to ballet, I tried to kid myself that it wasn't that posh, it's just like an after school sport activity, only more girly I told myself. 

Today I found out 2 of the names of her classmates; Primrose (not Rosie or anything for short) and Harriet. 

My Grandaughter goes to a ballet class and has made a friend named Matilda. Yes,they are posh. Those lady ballet instructors are very tasty though.

On 24/05/2023 at 21:36, Remmie said:

My daughter's name is Harriet, and I'm as rough as toast.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

My four-year-old nephew has just "graduated" from nursery. There are photos of him in a robe with mortarboard and scroll.

Since when was this a thing? Utter madness.

My lad is 18, and they did it when he moved from nursery to primary school.

Does seem a bit ott like!

• 1 month later...

The dads talk loudly in public to their babies/very young children.

"We need to get some sweeties for mummy, and some food for doggy. Don't we?"

I can't quite figure out why. Possibly a lack of social contact due to a high performing job role, or feeling the need to advertise there's a second income in the house in case his bank manager shops there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The dads talk loudly in public to their babies/very young children.

"We need to get some sweeties for mummy, and some food for doggy. Don't we?"

I can't quite figure out why. Possibly a lack of social contact due to a high performing job role, or feeling the need to advertise there's a second income in the house in case his bank manager shops there.

Saw something similar at Centerparcs. Kid in the overpriced Parc market picked up a bag of Haribo and the Dad said loudly "No Joshua I've told you that you can't have those sweets. Mummy told you last time. Same goes for you too Oliver"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Saw something similar at Centerparcs. Kid in the overpriced Parc market picked up a bag of Haribo and the Dad said loudly "No Joshua I've told you that you can't have those sweets. Mummy told you last time. Same goes for you too Oliver"

I noticed it in the shops yesterday. Young couple and he was yapping non stop to the kid even though it was about 48 hours' old. It seemed to be for everyone else's benefit. 

"Make way, make way, we have a child."

40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I noticed it in the shops yesterday. Young couple and he was yapping non stop to the kid even though it was about 48 hours' old. It seemed to be for everyone else's benefit. 

"Make way, make way, we have a child."

There's some middle class couple that I  know and their kids are forced into every club or activity possible. The Dad is one of those fellas who has no real personality so his entire persona is being a Dad and living his entire life through his kids.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, A Red said:

It does seem a middle class thing that they micro manage their kids

When I was a kid my parents were obsessed with some family whose kids were always forced into doing everything, we hated the fact that my Mum and Dad wanted to be in a stupid competition with them.

The eldest lad thought he was really good at footy and was obsessed with doing these football skills badges. They'd always sneer at us if we didn't have the latest liverpool kit or have new footy boots every year. 

My brother who will freely admit that he is shite at footy and was back then went on a summer footy camp with me and we both ended up doing the Gold award whilst this lad went to another camp and only did the bronze one. When my brother showed him the medal he almost burst into tears and ran home to his Dad because my shite at footy brother got one over on him. 

His Dad made him join a Saturday team as well as a Sunday team and made him go on another summer camp the year after just to get one over or on the level of my brother. Both of us weren't even bothered when he finally did it and it wrecked his head even more. 

• Upvote 2

On 24/05/2023 at 21:36, Remmie said:

The roughest girl I've ever gone past first base with was called Harriet when I was about 17.

On 01/06/2023 at 19:32, stringvest said:

My daughter's name is Harriet, and I'm as rough as toast.

For clarity I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't your daughter as I'm not some sort of unnamed BBC presenter.

On 25/05/2023 at 06:36, Remmie said:

We were a few players short for my girls under 11 football match yesterday (last weekend of the school hols) so I had to borrow girls from the under 10s.  Athena, Pearl and Juniper.