You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle Class Generalisation Thread

Section_31

21 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Cola cubes rep.

When I started at secondary school you had to pay for your school dinner with cash. On my walk to school I passed the two shops and quickly realised I could buy two 50p bags of cola cubes, keep one for myself and sell the other bag for a quid to one of my mates in school.

I did this for nearly 5 years. 

posh bastard - my parents were poor so I got free school meals.

• Upvote 2

Not quite Tosca or Chess.com, but i worked in a call centre when i was at 6th form. I remember one of the scalls in there took great pleasure in calling me posh because i had once used 'afterwards' in a sentence with him. It below his mind that i should utter such a word.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Not quite Tosca or Chess.com, but i worked in a call centre when i was at 6th form. I remember one of the scalls in there took great pleasure in calling me posh because i had once used 'afterwards' in a sentence with him. It below his mind that i should utter such a word.

Especially as you hadn’t even bought him a pizza.

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Cola cubes rep.

When I started at secondary school you had to pay for your school dinner with cash. On my walk to school I passed the two shops and quickly realised I could buy two 50p bags of cola cubes, keep one for myself and sell the other bag for a quid to one of my mates in school.

I did this for nearly 5 years. 

I caught my youngest doing this last year, I found a bunch of multipack chocolate bars and mints in his room, when I asked what they were for he told me he went to B&M and bought £15 worth of stuff and was selling them during breaks in school. Pack of five Extra Strong Mints bought for £1, selling a tube for 50p.

Whilst I admired his acumen we put a stop to it, he wasn't happy about it. Also said one of his mates was doing the same with Pound Bakery stuff!

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I caught my youngest doing this last year, I found a bunch of multipack chocolate bars and mints in his room, when I asked what they were for he told me he went to B&M and bought £15 worth of stuff and was selling them during breaks in school. Pack of five Extra Strong Mints bought for £1, selling a tube for 50p.

Whilst I admired his acumen we put a stop to it, he wasn't happy about it. Also said one of his mates was doing the same with Pound Bakery stuff!

Haha I did this at uni with my mates when they'd get stoned. Got £20 once for a cheese toastie

• Upvote 1

There's more kids out playing basketball in our estate than football. Plain weird for me to see that.

The only time our footballs stayed in our front gardens was when Wimbledon was on and we'd club together to get the two shitty wooden rackets in the net bag and a box of chalk. 

There's kids at the front of our estate who are often out playing with an American football too.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

There's more kids out playing basketball in our estate than football. Plain weird for me to see that.

The only time our footballs stayed in our front gardens was when Wimbledon was on and we'd club together to get the two shitty wooden rackets in the net bag and a box of chalk. 

There's kids at the front of our estate who are often out playing with an American football too.

There's a basketball court near my house. It is used at least 16 hours a day, maybe 18 in the summer. Kids drive miles to play on it. Weird

5 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

There's a basketball court near my house. It is used at least 16 hours a day, maybe 18 in the summer. Kids drive miles to play on it. Weird

My lads play it all the time (though they play footy more). They bought themselves a hoop for the garden. As long as they're outside and off the PlayStation, all good as far as I'm concerned. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah our local park (Bournville) always has groups of about 20 kids on it. Dont really see many kids playing football. That's the same by my mums though too. I grew up in a culture de sac and we were always out playing football in the street, using people's gates as goals, much to their annoyance. Used to use the local garages too. Dont see anyone playing footy these days like. Kids are all too busy drinking coffee and bubble tea.

Don't agree with the opinion that kids aren't playing footy as much these days - I think the opposite is true (I was having the same conversation this evening with one of the dads at my youngest son's footy training). There must have been about a hundred kids there, mostly boys, but also some girls. When I take them to train with Brentford, there must be at least twice that at any one time as well. Kids are playing, just not in the streets anymore.

12 hours ago, Byrnie said:

I think it's because they know that once they are past 10/11 and not in a club Academy that their dreams of playing professionally are dead. They arent stupid. We were still in our 20s kicking a ball about in a car park thinking we still had a chance! Fuck me,some of us still believe we can spend the night with Salma Hayek at almost 60 years old! Stringy is still ruing his missed date with Cleopatra FFS.

• Upvote 1

We played a lot of basketball when we were kids, back when the NBA was on Channel 4 every week in the 90s! I probably played more of it for a period than I did football, until I realised I was always going to be a short-arse and focused more on football.

There's certainly much more, better quality organised football and sports training available nowadays, but is that all a good thing? How accessible is it to all demographics? The selling off and privatisation of public space and the literal and figurative "fencing off" of playing fields is part of the problem. The fields we used to play on are all surrounded by 8ft fences with locked gates on nowadays, kids don't kick balls up and down the ten-foots because there are too many cars, etc, etc. 

I'm loathe to say "it were better in my day, lad" but I look at my nieces and nephews who never play out and certainly never spontaneously and think it's a damn shame.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

We played a lot of basketball when we were kids, back when the NBA was on Channel 4 every week in the 90s! I probably played more of it for a period than I did football, until I realised I was always going to be a short-arse and focused more on football.

There's certainly much more, better quality organised football and sports training available nowadays, but is that all a good thing? How accessible is it to all demographics? The selling off and privatisation of public space and the literal and figurative "fencing off" of playing fields is part of the problem. The fields we used to play on are all surrounded by 8ft fences with locked gates on nowadays, kids don't kick balls up and down the ten-foots because there are too many cars, etc, etc. 

I'm loathe to say "it were better in my day, lad" but I look at my nieces and nephews who never play out and certainly never spontaneously and think it's a damn shame.

Thats also due to a culture shift in the fear of strangers and parents having to know where there kids are every single second of the day. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

Thats also due to a culture shift in the fear of strangers and parents having to know where there kids are every single second of the day. 

Yes, that's noticeable too. I had a heated discussion about this with my father-in-law recently, he said that it's "more dangerous" to play outside now. When I asked for proof of that he said it was a "fact" but, as I'm sure I've read on here, it's not all based on fact and is more a perception/media fear mongering thing, right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think it's because they know that once they are past 10/11 and not in a club Academy that their dreams of playing professionally are dead. They arent stupid. We were still in our 20s kicking a ball about in a car park thinking we still had a chance! Fuck me,some of us still believe we can spend the night with Salma Hayek at almost 60 years old! Stringy is still ruing his missed date with Cleopatra FFS.

Also that the Academy kids aren't allowed to play outside the clubs games and training so most of the better local kids can't get involved

51 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Yes, that's noticeable too. I had a heated discussion about this with my father-in-law recently, he said that it's "more dangerous" to play outside now. When I asked for proof of that he said it was a "fact" but, as I'm sure I've read on here, it's not all based on fact and is more a perception/media fear mongering thing, right?

I'd say it was in terms of traffic, but yes, the bolded is probably correct. Thing is, it's good that kids and parents are aware of 'stranger danger', but not to the point where they're absolutely terrified of doing anything.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Also that the Academy kids aren't allowed to play outside the clubs games and training so most of the better local kids can't get involved

I saw a report on London news that a big % of all english kids in the premier league come from the same patch of south east london. Due to the availability of caged football pitches on the estates. Here is a link :An incredible XI of footballers from south London: Sancho, Rice, Zaha... (planetfootball.com)

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I saw a report on London news that a big % of all english kids in the premier league come from the same patch of south east london. Due to the availability of caged football pitches on the estates. Here is a link :An incredible XI of footballers from south London: Sancho, Rice, Zaha... (planetfootball.com)

Build pitches and they will come! When we first moved to Runcorn from L8 there were footy pitches and playgrounds everywhere but now they are all gone and houses built on them. Our claim to fame up here was John Bishop,and he became a comedian! 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Build pitches and they will come! When we first moved to Runcorn from L8 there were footy pitches and playgrounds everywhere but now they are all gone and houses built on them. Our claim to fame up here was John Bishop,and he became a comedian! 

His brother, Eddie, was a decent professional  player at Chester when they were in the league