You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge-2015

LFC 6 Times

The situation is grim. There are four centre forwards contributing nothing with the prospect of Origi arriving.  Before adding anyone we'll need to shift at least two, but that might be difficult.

Maybe nothing will happen and we'll pray that they can't be as chronic as this season.  

I'll stick my neck out and say that Falcao is not the answer.  He reeks of yesterday's news (which was really shit).  

So do you think we are looking at Ings and Origi, and that's it? Or will there be a third striker coming in? (Assuming Balotelli, Borini and Lambt all go).

I think he will go for a proven Prem striker again. I really wouldn't be surprised if we made a big bid for Benteke (I like him but he won't be worth what we are paying for him).

Rodgers won't have te pulling power to get someone like Vietto or Icardi.

Rumours are that mandzukic has fallen out with Simeone, he would be a great signing but again we don't have the pulling power to get someone like him

Ideally we can get someone in who is experienced and very good. I'd love to see Benzema in a Liverpool shirt, for example. If that sort of level is out of reach for us, maybe someone like Lacazette?

Who do you think is attainable?

Benzema, Lacazette (although in terms of experience he's somewhere in between Icardi/Dybala/Vietto/Morata/Jese/Alcacer and the likes of Benzema), Falcao (dunno about him, I refuse to believe he's gone from one of the best on the planet to simply finished), Mandzukic, Higuain, Negredo (perhaps a bit left field this), Bacca, Quagliarella (out of left field again), Meier. Just a few names I've thought of in the last 30 seconds or so, people with better knowledge than me of other leagues will no doubt be able to name many more that would be a vast improvement on what we have now.

I've no idea who is available, because much of it depends on how ambitious the club wants to be. If Ian Ayre turns up to the meeting with his pocket calculator then forget it. But if we're ambitious, and tell the player and his agent a convincing enough story, and pay them handsomely, then there is no reason we can't target some of those players, or similar.

I agree with you on the other two positions we need to sign players for as well, but first comes the striker/s, they make the difference in our league. Then we sign the midfielder with a pair of testicles, and a right back that can defend.

• Upvote 1

Why are important players always injury prone but the mediocre shite invincible. It's like you have to spread out stats on a computer game can't put too much emphasis on skill and ignore endurance and vitality. Fuck knows how lovrens stats were balanced he must have some top arcane skills.

• Upvote 1

The situation is grim. There are four centre forwards contributing nothing with the prospect of Origi arriving. Before adding anyone we'll need to shift at least two, but that might be difficult.

Maybe nothing will happen and we'll pray that they can't be as chronic as this season.

I'll stick my neck out and say that Falcao is not the answer. He reeks of yesterday's news (which was really shit).

I think you're right about Falcao. We need a faster and more mobile type of striker. Excactly who fits and at what value I don't know as I normally only watch our games and the odd premiership or CL game. But the way things stand now I reckon we should be prepared to spend 30 million at least on this position, and that should allow some good options. If this means other positions must wait, or be filled by stop gap solutions like Milner, so be it.

It's defeatist, as fuck, to say, but I think that's next season gone. We've now got to get a couple of 15+ goals a season forwards, a real Gerrard replacement and a new CB. I think that to accomplish that, within one window, would be very difficult, even for Paisley and Robinson.

• Upvote 1

It's defeatist, as fuck, to say, but I think that's next season gone. We've now got to get a couple of 15+ goals a season forwards, a real Gerrard replacement and a new CB. I think that to accomplish that, within one window, would be very difficult, even for Paisley and Robinson.

Or you could turn it around and say if we can be as close to the top (four) this season with a non-existing forward line, one or two quality attackers next season will make a massive difference.

• Upvote 1

Good list of strikers above Jairzinho. It will be an interesting summer, that's for sure. 

Trying to add more names to the pot here, but what does everyone think of Hernandez? On loan at Real Madrid and presumably they won't keep him. He seems to know where the net is. 

Another name (with risk because of injury record) might be Jovetic. When he was in Italy (Fiorentina?) he looked really good. His Man City career has never really got going, which isn't necessarily a sign that he's a bad player. 

Don't get me wrong, both names are compromised, and in many ways it is difficult to write about our need for a striker when I think of the names we've had - Hunt, St John, Keegan, Toshack, Rush, Dalglish, Beardsley, Barnes, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez... All of them are a level or more above what we seem to be looking at now, and that's a bit depressing. I'm trying to live in the area of not getting too depressed about it, while also maintaining a semblance of realism about who we can attract right now. It's a tricky situation. 

Ideally we sign someone who is dependable for a good 15+ league goals next season and Origi grabs a dozen or so himself, turning into a world class player after one season of bedding in. He reminds me of a young Anelka in some ways and while you can't depend too much on a young player coming in, I think there's a real player there.  

Benteke doesn't seem like the player we should go for. His value is at an all time high, and we've already got Timmy talking about him being the best in Europe. 

Would United sell anyone to us? Not sure about Hernandez, he always seems like someone much better coming off the bench because his all round game is pretty poor, but he's got the knack of taking a chance (and you may only create one or two in the last 15/20 minutes of a game). Wouldn't feel confident with him as our "Number 2" striker.

Jovetic is more of a number 10 or wide forward, isn't he? He scored quite prolifically in his last two seasons for Fiorentina though, but who knows if he's the same player post several injuries.

Yeah, swerve Benteke. Swerve anyone going through a run of form in the Premier League.

Amr Zakinomics.

Is there any chance at all that Yesil or Sinclair could even be our 4th striker? Or will they have to go out on loan? Haven't watched the Reserves for ages.

One of the key attributes of being a highly paid manager is understanding what sort of striker a team needs, and acquiring them.

In Brendan we trust.

I'm not absolutely sure how much I trust BR now.  It could just be that he did have Balotelli foisted on him.  But it was his choice to play the abject cunt up top on his own repeatedly when Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see it wasn't working.

• Upvote 1

The situation is grim. There are four centre forwards contributing nothing with the prospect of Origi arriving.  Before adding anyone we'll need to shift at least two, but that might be difficult.

Are they all rubbish, or do you think that Brendan should be getting more out of them either individually, or by changing our pattern of play?

• 2 months later...