You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW picks the team v Basle

Paco

TLW picks the team v Basle  

42 members have voted

1. 1. who starts?

2. 2. what formation?

True.

But we were unable to beat them over two games.

Brendan, and the team, are not good enough.

Its the balance

Put Suarez and Sturridge back in that side and they would be very good.

You cant play without credible goal scorers.  Any half decent side presses and floods the midfield winning the ball in dangerous areas., Basel did it tonight because they knew Lambert posed no threat

Thought the defence was OK tonight considering the lack of a shield supposedly offered by Allen & Lucas. Thought it was probably Lovren's best performance for us ( I know we are in world's tallest midget territory ) and I can't believe somebody blamed Mignolet for the goal, that is the height of scapegoatery. I even thought Johnson did OK.

I think we need to take on board the United lesson in January that it doesn't matter how crap you are in the Premier League as long as you have decent strikers.

• Upvote 1

Without sounding like a cunt, I thought the spiel about the players 'writing themselves into Anfield folklore' summed him up. We shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, you can't write yourself into folklore by trying to dig yourself out of your own latrine.

I get the feeling Rodgers has read up and watched a lot of stuff about Liverpool, credit to him for that, but he's trying to mimic it and just doesn't have the experience or the talent. Maybe the talent is there, time will tell, but hopefully somewhere else before more damage is done.

• Upvote 2

Without sounding like a cunt, I thought the spiel about the players 'writing themselves into Anfield folklore' summed him up. We shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, you can't write yourself into folklore by trying to dig yourself out of your own latrine.

I get the feeling Rodgers has read up and watched a lot of stuff about Liverpool, credit to him for that, but he's trying to mimic it and just doesn't have the experience or the talent. Maybe the talent is there, time will tell, but hopefully somewhere else before more damage is done.

or hes trying to summon the spirit of great anfield nights to inspire the team.

Can't  be arsed reading the thread so shall just throw my tuppence worth in here.

First half we were poor. Basel got their tactics spot on, closing us down quickly when we tried to play tikki takkaaaaagh from the back, and forcing mistakes. They were the better side and finished their goal well.

We started the second half with a bit of bluster which led nowhere. It may not have been a sending off but I couldn't  care less - the bloke was nowhere near him so why was Markovic flicking out his hand and arm towards him anyway?

Only when we went down to ten men and threw caution to the wind did we look like pulling it out the bag. But it was just that - throwing caution to the wind, and Basel still had a couple of very presentable chances.

All in all we just didn't do enough from the off. When I got back in I watched Fowler and Gerrard's assessment on ITV+1 and both were very honest.

or hes trying to summon the spirit of great anfield nights to inspire the team.

Making himself sound pretty daft in the process IMO. Just saying something doesn't make it so. Tonight was never going to be a great Anfield night, it was going to be a jailbreak at best.

Making himself sound pretty daft in the process IMO. Just saying something doesn't make it so. Tonight was never going to be a great Anfield night, it was going to be a jailbreak at best.

if we d gone through at the end with 10 men I think there might have been a few people sticking a fiver on us to win it. The luck would have been hanging out of us.

Theres no excuse for the way we played in the first half but we still could have won that game in the last 5 mins.

The worst part is that it feels like we were really close to progressing out of that group, when it took Ludogorets surprising Basel to even give us a remote chance of it happening.

Barring that (very surprising) result we would have been out long ago.  We went into tonight's game on 4 points, we can hardly have any complaints at all about just missing out.  It's a miracle that you could get 4 points from your opening 5 games and still have any chance at all to advance.

Can't  be arsed reading the thread so shall just throw my tuppence worth in here.

First half we were poor. Basel got their tactics spot on, closing us down quickly when we tried to play tikki takkaaaaagh from the back, and forcing mistakes. They were the better side and finished their goal well.

We started the second half with a bit of bluster which led nowhere. It may not have been a sending off but I couldn't  care less - the bloke was nowhere near him so why was Markovic flicking out his hand and arm towards him anyway?

Only when we went down to ten men and threw caution to the wind did we look like pulling it out the bag. But it was just that - throwing caution to the wind, and Basel still had a couple of very presentable chances.

All in all we just didn't do enough from the off. When I got back in I watched Fowler and Gerrard's assessment on ITV+1 and both were very honest.

Yep. Have to agree. Massive disappointment. I was royally fucked off to see us fannying about with short passes around the edge of our box again, playing ourselves into trouble.

Im hacked that the manager hasnt stopped this or, on restoring lovren to the defence that he didnt drill it into him not to do this.

I didnt think the team selection was bad considering who we have available and who we play on sunday. But this is what happens when you try and spread a squad not blessed with quality or confidence thinly.

As everyone conceeds, not good enough.

Not read the thread. All on Rodgers. Set the tone pre match with his we don't have to win this early talk. Why the fuck not? Whats wrong with a high tempo and making them work for it? Sounds like the plan was to hold it for an hour and then go for it. We aren't the away team. And this isn't real madrid.

The striker situation is truely dire now. We've gone from a rolls royce to a fucking lada.

Can't see anything but more shite coming down the tracks either.

• Upvote 1

I'm okay with it all, i knew we were going out after the Madrid game at the Bernabeu, i said as much on here. That was the game that killed us, we needed something from that game and instead Brendan made a mockery of the club and it's stature in world football by turning up with a second string side and playing like a bunch of Serbian cloggers happy to be there for the craic.

I'm okay with it all, i knew we were going out after the Madrid game at the Bernabeu, i said as much on here. That was the game that killed us, we needed something from that game and instead Brendan made a mockery of the club and it's stature in world football by turning up with a second string side and playing like a bunch of Serbian cloggers happy to be there for the craic.

A point in Madrid wouldn't have made any difference, the 2 games against Basel were always the key games for us, a couple of draws of just 1 win against them would have seen us through.

I thought Rodgers just walking off at the whistle was a bad sign. Left his players at their lowest after arguably playing better than they have for weeks, the fans that sung in the wind and rain and he just walks off? 

Or did I miss him acknowledge the fans?

Last night was the first ever time I've been embarrassed to be a Liverpool supporter. Given the occasion and the stakes that performance was horrific. There's so much wrong at the moment it's frightening.

Last season was remarkable but it's abundantly clear it's going to be the exception, not the rule under Rogers. Tactics, starting 11, subs and signings have been diabolical this season.

I've been thinking about some of the ludicrous comments Rogers has made about our players and it's no wonder we're in such a mess:

Allen - "the Welsh Xavi". Fuck me.

Borini - "he's a player who'll get the supporters on the edge of their seat". He can't even get on the edge of a seat on the subs bench.

Sakho - "The Killer". Can't get a game and has a mysterious injury.

Henderson - tried to get rid of him to Fulham and is now Vice Captain.

Lovren - "A natural leader". Really? Does the fact he can't play football not count.

Agger - made him Vice Captain and then managed him out of the club.

Shelvey - "he's got absolutely everything and is going to be a key player for the club". Sold him.

Lallana - made him his primary target this summer. He rarely starts.

Lucas - tried to get rid in the summer and he's now the first name on the team sheet.

I'm sure there's a shit load more examples as well. Looking at those comments though, is it any wonder we're in such a mess at the moment. He hardly inspires confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

I thought Rodgers just walking off at the whistle was a bad sign. Left his players at their lowest after arguably playing better than they have for weeks, the fans that sung in the wind and rain and he just walks off?

Or did I miss him acknowledge the fans?

Do you really think we played better than we have for weeks last night? Did we have a shot on target apart from the goal?

Its the balance

Put Suarez and Sturridge back in that side and they would be very good.

You cant play without credible goal scorers.  Any half decent side presses and floods the midfield winning the ball in dangerous areas., Basel did it tonight because they knew Lambert posed no threat

Fair comment.

Brendan's get out of jail card is the loss of the SAS. But all his options, Mario, Borini, Lambert and Aspas he bought so he needs to take some responsibility for that.

I am still bewildered as to how our shape, possession and style of play has disintegrated though. The loss of two players should not have had such a catastrophic impact on our style of play, even though a reduction in goals was going to be inevitable.

I give credit to Brendan for admitting we were not good enough.

The EL campaign will give him, and several players, vital European experience.

Do you really think we played better than we have for weeks last night? Did we have a shot on target apart from the goal?

You mis-understand. We were shit. Just fractionally less shit. 2nd half yesterday we started to actually resemble a football team, albeit briefly. Mainly down to urgency and a bit of passion as opposed to talent and skill.  

Last night was the first ever time I've been embarrassed to be a Liverpool supporter. Given the occasion and the stakes that performance was horrific. There's so much wrong at the moment it's frightening.

Last season was remarkable but it's abundantly clear it's going to be the exception, not the rule under Rogers. Tactics, starting 11, subs and signings have been diabolical this season.

I've been thinking about some of the ludicrous comments Rogers has made about our players and it's no wonder we're in such a mess:

Allen - "the Welsh Xavi". Fuck me.

Borini - "he's a player who'll get the supporters on the edge of their seat". He can't even get on the edge of a seat on the subs bench.

Sakho - "The Killer". Can't get a game and has a mysterious injury.

Henderson - tried to get rid of him to Fulham and is now Vice Captain.

Lovren - "A natural leader". Really? Does the fact he can't play football not count.

Agger - made him Vice Captain and then managed him out of the club.

Shelvey - "he's got absolutely everything and is going to be a key player for the club". Sold him.

Lallana - made him his primary target this summer. He rarely starts.

Lucas - tried to get rid in the summer and he's now the first name on the team sheet.

I'm sure there's a shit load more examples as well. Looking at those comments though, is it any wonder we're in such a mess at the moment. He hardly inspires confidence.

It's now pretty clear that Rodgers is just making it up as he goes along, and last season's title challenge was nothing more than a wild fluke.

The question is now about how long we're willing to put up with being fed such copious quantities of snake oil from the master bullshitter.