You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/29/mario-balotelli-liverpool-leave-die-mino-raiola

Borini and Lambert I think we can maybe shift somewhere assuming Borini actually accepts leaving this time around.

Balotelli has all the hallmarks of becoming our latest unflushable turd. 

Finally Aspas has 8 appearances and 0 goals for Sevilla so we are probably stuck with him for a while longer too.

Someone has been on Wikipedia!

He bagged a hat trick in the copa del rey back in October, 4 minute hat trick it was too.

It's not as simple as that though in fairness. He doesn't just buy expensive players he buys the right players. There were better strikers around than Drogba but he was tailor made for the way they play, he also bought athletes for his midfield because it was built to win in England. Pace, aggression, power, in fact if he learned off anyone it was probably off Wenger's first double winning side.

It was only when Abramovich went full on billy big bollocks and started spending mega money on the likes of Shevchenco that things went tits up for Chelsea.

The idea that they just buy the most expensive players and throw them at the opposition simply isn't true, in fact that's the mancs' MO these days and it doant seem to work.

Yep, he's been fortunate enough to have lots of money to spend in all his big jobs, but he's tended to spend it well because he knows exactly how he wants his teams to play and exactly what types of player will fit into them. He deserves credit for that, even though it's really just common sense that somehow seems to evade the majority of managers.

• Upvote 2

We bolstered our bench with a £15 million Joe allen, a £25 million Lallana, and a £10 million Borini.

Against Chelsea we had Lallanna, Lovren, Balotelli, Allen,Lambert on the bench. Total cost 81 millions, Borini did not even make the bench. I excluded Johnson but that would have taken it around 100million. Chelsea much less on the bench, transfer fee wise.

It's not as simple as that though in fairness. He doesn't just buy expensive players he buys the right players.

Jose buys a lot of fucking dogshit as well. It's only because he buys so many players, the failures pale into insignificance. And Chelsea can afford failures. Lots of them.

Sidwell? Kezman? Wright Philips? Ben Haim? Pizarro? Jarosik? Shevchenko? Boulharouz? Del Horno? All pretty much failures. Some of them at huge money.

Jose buys a lot of fucking dogshit as well. It's only because he buys so many players, the failures pale into insignificance. And Chelsea can afford failures. Lots of them.

Sidwell? Kezman? Wright Philips? Ben Haim? Pizarro? Jarosik? Shevchenko? Boulharouz? Del Horno? All pretty much failures. Some of them at huge money.

Torres

Sidwell? Kezman? Wright Philips? Ben Haim? Pizarro? Jarosik? Shevchenko? Boulharouz? Del Horno? All pretty much failures. Some of them at huge money.

That's just football though isn't it? He puts out a top class first XI and that's all people care about. If Rodgers bought some top class strikers, DM, CB and goalie then his transfer mistakes would be largely forgotten too. Unfortunately most of his transfer mistakes are in the team and on the bench.

He wasn't a Jose buy. Those players I listed there all were. There are many more Chelsea failures not under Mourinho. But they can afford them. And that is part of the point I have been making in the Rodgers thread.

I'm not sure how the transfer policy works at Cheslea but i remember Abramovich buying Shevencko and Mourinho didn't want him, wonder how many of the other buys have come from him too, i suspect the Torres buy was one of his rather than the managers

That's just football though isn't it? He puts out a top class first XI and that's all people care about. If Rodgers bought some top class strikers, DM, CB and goalie then his transfer mistakes would be largely forgotten too. Unfortunately most of his transfer mistakes are in the team and on the bench.

Because he can afford to rectify the mistakes he makes. 

• Upvote 2

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it, Section.

It's clearly a little more complicated than that.

I'm not sure how the transfer policy works at Cheslea but i remember Abramovich buying Shevencko and Mourinho didn't want him, wonder how many of the other buys have come from him too, i suspect the Torres buy was one of his rather than the managers

I don't know either. But any manager worth their salt would have last word on any transfers. Because it's their bollocks on the line if things don't work out.

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it, Section.

It's clearly a little more complicated than that.

What does that even mean? Seriously?

"I bought loads of shit players but if it was easy to buy good ones everyone would be doing it."

Robbie - we've had plenty of opportunity to offset our own mistakes but just replace shite with shite. We've got three strikers on the bench at a combined cost of £30 million, and they're all useless.

• Upvote 2

What does that even mean? Seriously?

The argument being put forward by you - and others - is seemingly just buy good players. Well, no fucking shit!

But every manager buys a shed load of lemons so obviously getting the formula right is not that easy. Moreso when you have budget constraints.

I remember when we used to sign world class players at the top of their game like Torres and Alonso.

Ings ain't what they used to be...

Torres and Alonso world class when we bought them?

Don't think so, Rob.

edit: unless you were shoehorning in your joke there. In which case I apologise!

• Upvote 1

The argument being put forward by you - and others - is seemingly just buy good players. Well, no fucking shit!

But every manager buys a shed load of lemons so obviously getting the formula right is not that easy. Moreso when you have budget constraints.

I'll be surprised if you can show me someone who is demanding we only sign good players and no shite. Some signings work and some don't, the skill is in getting the majority right which is what mourihno does well and rodgers isnt the best at

Torres and Alonso world class when we bought them?

Don't think so, Rob.

edit: unless you were shoehorning in your joke there. In which case I apologise!

Depends really on what you define world class, Torres was destined to be a top player and you could argue to a lesser extent Alonso was. Thats what we need more of if we want to be successful and compete with the richer clubs.