You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Moreno

WhiskeyJar

Like football manager on here sometimes. .... Yeh were not so bad ......... Manager needs more players though............ I know lets spend another £100 mill on players.........  We only need a new Gk Two more new CD, a DM,   and a Striker ........ Yeah of course...... We need to buy a full sides worth of Defenders might find a good one.

Commentators alike seem to sing lyrical whenever a player is able to play with both feet, it should be a fucking requirement not an exception for any player we sign, their paid enough.

You should at the very least be able to competently clear a ball in roughly the opposite direction. Amazes me the amount of pro's who dont even try to do that.

Im no Michael Owen fan but you have to credit him for improving his left foot in practice. Even won us an FA Cup in the end.

• Upvote 1

Moreno, Manquillo, Markovic, Can, and let's not forget Origi... average age probably 19-20. Clearly there is talent there, and at a smaller club you might be able to let these kids play as a team for a few years until they develop into something special. However, Liverpool is expected to be a top four team every year. That means using the Suarez money on 1-2 proven global superstars, not 5 kids with potential, 3 good (but certainly not great) veterans, and one absolute headache. Lesson learned (See Spurs), but what to do about it now? Nothing to do but wait it out. We can't go out an buy a whole new team in January. I would say target one proven striker in January, and see if we can get some momentum going offensively. I'd rather lose 4-3 than 1-0. With Sturridge perpetually injured, it's hard to argue with making that the absolute priority. The only silver lining in our recent performance is that the International team managers will stop calling.

• Upvote 3

Moreno, Manquillo, Markovic, Can, and let's not forget Origi...

When you buy young potential players like that you need to buy a couple of Top quality established players to go with them.  The established players go straight into the starting 11 allowing you to gradually bring the others in.  Instead as usual we went full retard and paid top money for average, shit or flavour of the month players whilst losing the best player in the World.  A player who'd have helped bring those players mentioned along as he did Sterling.

• Upvote 1

Sell as much as we can. Southampton have shown that you can buy very good players for relatively small amounts of money. There's very talented players on the continent who wouldn't cost crazy money but would make a sizeable difference.

The thing is that by January we could be out of the top 4 race. We can use the second half of the season to blood players - a bit like Brendan's first season when we had coutinho and Sturridge signed in January. It might also be a good time to give lads like Rossiter their chance of first team football.

I hate to say it, but right now my main concern would be us getting in decent shape for next season. I feel defeatist but this season feels like a write off. Of course, maybe when Sturridge comes back, we might have a chance of top 4, but I just don't see it right now.

Whether we need it or not, there is no chance whatsoever that Fenway are going to give the manager any considerable funds in January. It was only the other week their was talk we were being looked at by UEFA for breaching FFP. The only way we'd free up money would be selling players, and as someone mentioned, who's going to give us decent money for the shite we bought in the summer?

Whether we need it or not, there is no chance whatsoever that Fenway are going to give the manager any considerable funds in January. It was only the other week their was talk we were being looked at by UEFA for breaching FFP. The only way we'd free up money would be selling players, and as someone mentioned, who's going to give us decent money for the shite we bought in the summer?

They're not going to give the manager money because he has a proven inability to make good use of it.

• Upvote 2

Is it true Moreno was bitten by a snake when he was in a South American football exchange school as a lad, and that's why he can't use his other foot to kick the ball? No? Well what's his fucking excuse then? Personally I would attach a lead weight to his stronger foot rendering him incapable of using it, thus making him focus all of his thoughts and desires to his weaker foot. In this way the problem would be solved. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else think the lad looked far more effective as a left winger when pushed forward against Basel?

Nope, he's a wingback which works if you have a decent holding midfielder and CB's who are good positionally. We have neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

"But not just for him, it would be a great thing for the team and for the fans as well. The fans particularly really deserve it. They support us however things are going in the game; they are always behind us. Winning the FA Cup will be one that we owe to the fans almost. It would be a way of providing a present for them, not just for Stevie." 

First there is a quarter-final to navigate at Anfield on Sunday, against Championship club Blackburn Rovers. Moreno is well aware that this year's FA Cup has been punctuated by shocks. 

"You are right, there are lots of surprises, that is one thing that has hit me since I've been in England. Whoever you are playing against," the 22-year-old Spanish international says. "We always have the same attitude whether we are playing against a team from the Premier League, the third level, or even the fifth level of English football. We will be focused; we will be 'at it'. 

"We know we need to go out there with our five senses totally ready. We need to play with a real kind of intensity, a high tempo, because we know over here any team can hurt you whatever league they are in. And that is something that makes this league the best in the world, I have learned that since I have played here. 

moreno_3223772a.jpg

"We won't be relaxing, basically it is a must-win game. We have got to get through it. There is no way we can entertain not qualifying for the next round." Liverpool have certainly been "at it" in recent weeks as, domestically at least, they have turned their campaign around with Moreno admitting it was not the easiest of starts following his £12m move from Sevilla. 

Not that there are regrets, even if there were tears when he left his hometown club, after the Uefa Super Cup last August, with Sevilla facing Real Madrid in Cardiff, while his transfer, on a five-year contract, was being finalised. 

"The reason I came here was because it is Liverpool," Moreno explains. "We are talking about one of the biggest teams around. They always have been and always will be one of the great European sides. They are a historic club and it is not a decision I would change for anything. I am totally vindicated in my decision. 

"But talking about Sevilla. It was a club I had been at since a kid. I went up through the ranks. Even though it did not take one second to make the decision, I am still then going to reflect on the stuff that has happened all throughout my career. All through those age groups representing your local side. When you look back, and reflect on things, that's when you shed a tear. Being a kid and growing into a man. Obviously it is tough when leaving the city that you know, your friends, your close family. But when the idea was suggested, it was not something I even had to think twice about. 

"It's a massive change coming here. A radical change from living in Seville. The club themselves have put their trust in me by putting me in the side right from the beginning and I've played regularly. And when you know you're playing regularly at a big club like Liverpool, which is, let's face it, a club where a lot of players would like to be, I know I'm very lucky. 

"I'm determined to make use and get the best I possibly can out of the five years I'm currently planning to be here according to my contract. And I hope that during those five years I can do enough to make sure my name will remain etched into Liverpool's history a little bit alongside some of the great players who have played here." 

That is some ambition. But, at times, it has been hard. "We had two really tough blows in being knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages. Then we had a great challenge to try and go as far as we could in the Europa League and we did not manage to do that," Moreno says. 

"I think we are over those two difficult situations, tough blows. We are on a great run of form now and our aim is to finish in the top four." 

moreno2_3223773a.jpg

Moreno has been key to that run, not least because of the important role he plays on the left flank in Brendan Rodgers' revamped formation. With Liverpool playing 3-4-3 it is instructive to hear Moreno explain how it has worked. 

"I think that you have to be honest and say we weren't too consistent at the start of the season, our form was a little bit in-and-out and probably we dropped some points where we shouldn't have been dropping points," Moreno says. "I think we have always tried to play with high tempo but what is happening now is the manager is insisting on us playing that tempo as much as we can. 

"I think the new system we are playing, the different tactic, probably has helped us intensify the play even more. It allows us to get lots of bodies forward when we are attacking, but we are safe in the knowledge of having three centre-backs who are going to be covering as well as the two deeper-lying midfield players. If we need to lend a hand as well, the wing-backs, you can call, we can drop back and support as well as get forward and support the attack. 

"You have to point to the fact that we have picked up a lot of victories and points since the system changed, and I guess it does allow us to be a little bit more intense. But the play never lacked intensity for want of trying." 

Interestingly, that change in fortune has accelerated with Gerrard being out of the Liverpool side through a damaged hamstring. He is back contention on Sunday. "It's always sad when someone is injured, and you don't wish that on anybody. But I think it is good that we have proved we can succeed without Steven," Moreno says. "And also that morale and the dynamic of the group has been very good, we've managed to keep our spirits up. At the same time while we've been doing that and playing well we've proved that we can carry on without him. We've moved up in the table and we've been winning matches. But I think what it's also proven is that within this Liverpool squad there are some top, top players to replace even the likes of Steven Gerrard." 

The Liverpool fans have taken to Moreno, even more so when he joined in Daniel Sturridge's distinctive dance celebration after his equalising goal in the previous FA Cup round against Crystal Palace. "We had the idea in a training session and we practised a bit in training whenever he scores. It's only if he scores, not if I score," Moreno says. "But I hope they don't like me just for my dancing. I much rather they would like me for how I play."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11457163/Alberto-Moreno-Steven-Gerrard-is-a-super-crack.html