You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

True Detective.

Kevin D

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Never bothered watching the second season because of the terrible reviews but toying with watching it before the third season hits next month. 

Is it as bad as it gets made out?

It suffers from its crazy, complicated, labyrinth plotting, but nowhere near as bad as it was made out.

I'm looking forward to the new season.

• 1 year later...

Watched season 3, this week. I thought it was pretty good and I ended up watching it in two sittings, because I really wanted to find out happened. Nice rebound after a bad second season. 

"That's real heroic of you, you cyclops motherfucker" was a real gem.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Watched season 3, this week. I thought it was pretty good and I ended up watching it in two sittings, because I really wanted to find out happened. Nice rebound after a bad second season. 

"That's real heroic of you, you cyclops motherfucker" was a real gem.

I thought it was good too but I recall the reaction on here being very mixed. Obviously not a patch on season 1 but then what is... 

18 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I enjoyed season 3, but thought the story ran out of steam a bit toward the end. Some great characters, though, especially Roland West.

I think the resolution will never meet the build up, in fairness. When you start with knowing something terrible has happened it gives you time to consider realistic possibilities and it's hard for the conclusion to meet any expectations. Same thing happened in the first season and it's just the nature of telling a story retroactively this way, I reckon.

13 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I think the resolution will never meet the build up, in fairness. When you start with knowing something terrible has happened it gives you time to consider realistic possibilities and it's hard for the conclusion to meet any expectations. Same thing happened in the first season and it's just the nature of telling a story retroactively this way, I reckon.

Agree to an extent, but I did find the payoff in season 1 much more satisfying and I think that was down to the wider scope of the story. For me the plot of season 3 was just a little too thin for 8 episodes, but that would be my only grumble, really.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Agree to an extent, but I did find the payoff in season 1 much more satisfying and I think that was down to the wider scope of the story. For me the plot of season 3 was just a little too thin for 8 episodes, but that would be my only grumble, really.

Season 1 was a classic.

6234b3ff8e37a812967969cd20e32879.jpg

cced5d725bfddb30f9b2f399127114fa.jpg

ffb473d269624e9eb2a0369924e51bdc.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Finally got round to watching series 3. Man, what a drag. About two episodes too long. And has there ever been a less likeable leading man than Hays? Fucking hell. I don't know if it was his acting, or the script, but Jesus he sucked the life out of it.  And his wife was just as bad. Things would perk up when Stephen Dorf was on screen, but all in all, dunno - 5/10.

Took itself far too seriously, and without anything to back it up. 

I can't believe people hated series 2 and preferred this one - at least 2 had Rachel McAdams in! 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Finally got round to watching series 3. Man, what a drag. About two episodes too long. And has there ever been a less likeable leading man than Hays? Fucking hell. I don't know if it was his acting, or the script, but Jesus he sucked the life out of it.  And his wife was just as bad. Things would perk up when Stephen Dorf was on screen, but all in all, dunno - 5/10.

Took itself far too seriously, and without anything to back it up. 

I can't believe people hated series 2 and preferred this one - at least 2 had Rachel McAdams in! 

I absolutely hated 3, I kept waiting for a twist that never happened and like you say it went on far too long. I also got pissed off with all the mumbling- Sky being shit didn't (and probably still doesn't) have subtitles on its piss poor catch up. I rewatched the first series last week, it's still an absolute classic and the atmosphere is amazing. I'm just starting 2 now, I remember it being OK but a bit disappointing compared to the first and badly miscast- they should have had Vincent D'Onofrio instead of fucking Vince Vaughan.

The current one is raising all sorts of red flags, the director's complaining about misogynist fanboys down voting it on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, and you have that dickhead Lucy Mangan giving it 5 stars in the Guardian seemingly purely because it's got female leads and director, and slagging off the first series for being too 'male'. It just smacks of yet another culture war obscuring whether or not it's actually any good and providing an excuse for it not being much cop. Real shame as Jodie Foster is superb in just about everything she does.

12 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I absolutely hated 3, I kept waiting for a twist that never happened and like you say it went on far too long. I also got pissed off with all the mumbling- Sky being shit didn't (and probably still doesn't) have subtitles on its piss poor catch up. I rewatched the first series last week, it's still an absolute classic and the atmosphere is amazing. I'm just starting 2 now, I remember it being OK but a bit disappointing compared to the first and badly miscast- they should have had Vincent D'Onofrio instead of fucking Vince Vaughan.

The current one is raising all sorts of red flags, the director's complaining about misogynist fanboys down voting it on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, and you have that dickhead Lucy Mangan giving it 5 stars in the Guardian seemingly purely because it's got female leads and director, and slagging off the first series for being too 'male'. It just smacks of yet another culture war obscuring whether or not it's actually any good and providing an excuse for it not being much cop. Real shame as Jodie Foster is superb in just about everything she does.

Really enjoying this new series but finding Foster quite hammy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Really enjoying this new series but finding Foster quite hammy.

Cool, I wanted to watch the first three again and then watch this latest one when it's all released, so hopefully it's better than the mediocre reviews it's been getting.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So far it isn't. But that doesn't mean it can't improve. 

Ive watched the first 2 episodes and I am struggling with it, but I'll stick with it hoping it does improve.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm three episodes into this fourth series (yes, it's a fucking series) & can't help but feel that it might be a streaming pile of shite.

Did someone say it was connected to the first series? I'm sure they did somewhere but I'm not seeing anything on that front & generally any supernatural bollocks is an instant no no for me.

I like it. Its not great but its decent enough TV in a world that's crammed with shite worse than I ever could of imagined growing up.  I dont expect every series to be groundbreaking or the new sopranos, some shit is just a story told performed by actors well and that's it.

Just now, Mook said:

I'm three episodes into this fourth series (yes, it's a fucking series) & can't help but feel that it might be a streaming pile of shite.

Did someone say it was connected to the first series? I'm sure they did somewhere but I'm not seeing anything on that front & generally any supernatural bollocks is an instant no no for me.

Not watched the new one, but in the first series Cohle mentioned he'd lived in Alaska for a while, and I think one of the very minor characters in this is a relative. Plus there's the supernatural aspects, although that was explicable in the first series with Cohle's flashbacks and the Pagan nature of the rednecks, and from the sounds of this one, it's gone far too heavy with spooky stuff which it'll need to explain. The director apparently said she wanted to hold a dark mirror up to the first series and have it set in the cold, with female leads. Fine, but by the sounds of it they forgot to actually include a murder mystery.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not watched the new one, but in the first series Cohle mentioned he'd lived in Alaska for a while, and I think one of the very minor characters in this is a relative. Plus there's the supernatural aspects, although that was explicable in the first series with Cohle's flashbacks and the Pagan nature of the rednecks, and from the sounds of this one, it's gone far too heavy with spooky stuff which it'll need to explain. The director apparently said she wanted to hold a dark mirror up to the first series and have it set in the cold, with female leads. Fine, but by the sounds of it they forgot to actually include a murder mystery.

There's definitely a murder mystery going on but it just all seems like a right load of bollocks at the moment.

• Upvote 1

It's a disjointed mess, focussing on too many characters that I don't give a shit about. Like that skinny fella getting scammed by online dating, who gives a fuck. Jodie Foster is really annoying in it and then there's numerous stupid shit in the show like that Ice Rink thawing dead bodies that the whole town could seemingly visit whenever they wanted. Then the woman who killed herself in the sea, yet the coastguards found her body in a few hours at night time in fucking Alaska!

The best character in it is a boxer in real life, says it all.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

There's definitely a murder mystery going on but it just all seems like a right load of bollocks at the moment.

Sorry, missed out the adjective, should have read 'a decent murder mystery'.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The director is definitely holding a mirror, one those crazy ones at Southport Fun House.

• Upvote 1