You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Iago Aspas: It's all gone a bit Fabio Borini

tlw content

Liverpool have today confirmed that striker Iago Aspas is set for 5-6 weeks on the sidelines after tearing a thigh muscle in training.

The news comes the day after Brendan Rodgers had boasted of having the strongest squad that he's had available all season. You jinxed it Brendan!

The Spanish frontman initially sparked fears in some quarters that he'd suffered a 'ruptured rectum' by tweeting:

Thankfully for Aspas that was just a case of 'lost in translation' and the injury is the far less severe sounding thigh muscle tear.

The 26 year old impressed in pre-season but then struggled to adapt to the pace and power of the Premier League. Despite failing to look the part so far, the Spaniard's absence leaves Brendan Rodgers a little light when it comes to attacking options off the bench. Victor Moses can play up front if needed, whilst the other other forward options are widemen Raheem Sterling and Jordan Ibe.

The injury could not have come at a worse time for the former Celta Vigo man, as with the Reds strongly rumoured to be looking to bring in another forward in the January transfer window time is running out for Aspas to show Rodgers what he can do. An absence of 6 weeks would leave him very little opportunity to make an impression.

This is all starting to go a bit 'Fabio Borini' isn't it?

Click here to view the article

If we keep playing two up front I'd get Borini back in January if possible, assuming we don't sign a striker of course.

Borini would probably do ok in a front two, I'd certainly trust him more than Aspas at that point.

During his injury lay off I'd be feeding Aspas steaks and making him drink protein shakes and wouldn't let him out of the gym.  I'd put a bed in there and make him live there.

He's built like a 10 year old, those arms are unbelievably thin.  Some players are skinny, like Crouch for example, but Aspas is just puny, he's like Mr Muscle.

If we keep playing two up front I'd get Borini back in January if possible, assuming we don't sign a striker of course.

Borini would probably do ok in a front two, I'd certainly trust him more than Aspas at that point.

During his injury lay off I'd be feeding Aspas steaks and making him drink protein shakes and wouldn't let him out of the gym.  I'd put a bed in there and make him live there.

He's built like a 10 year old, those arms are unbelievably thin.  Some players are skinny, like Crouch for example, but Aspas is just puny, he's like Mr Muscle.

I'd rather buy remy in January

1. Because he'd by a great third striker to have in the squad.

2. Because it'd piss off Pardew and Ashley if we nicked him.

borini only gets invited back if we need a shoe shine boy. 

I say get Morgan on the bench and give him a sniff of 1st team. 

It's unlikely he'd ever be called upon anyway, but would give him something to seriously aim for and might improve him further. 

I said from the start I don't like these kind of transfers,a player who has been around a while but only had one good season, these signings normally don't work especially for us.

We need to continue where we have been successful with players like studge and cout, players who have been very good from youth level but fail to get games at there club.

We seem to sign somebody every year who struggles for form early on and is in and out of the side. They then pick up an injury which causes them to miss several weeks, which makes the struggle to get going even harder. Of course, the fans will already have written them off before the injury.