You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton at Home match thread

Megadrive Man

This match should be a real indication of where our season is going.

Over the past few years we have dropped far too many points against teams we should be beating at Anfield. A win tomorrow would make it a great start to the season and put the disappointment of the second half of the Swansea game behind us.

Southampton have played much better than their results suggest so far this season, and have been really unlucky with officials decisions so far. The Southampton away game last season was arguably our poorest performance of 2013 so far, Gerrard and Allen got completely overran in midfield in that game so hopefully we will continue with the midfield three of Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson as this makes us much more robust in this area. 

With Suarez and Coutinho ruled out we are a bit light up top, Sturridge and Moses will surely start, and personally I'd go with Sterling over Aspas for the third attacking place.

Hopefully Agger will be back for this too. I'd drop Sakho if he is, as I think he will need a bit of time to adjust and adapt to the Premiership. I'd be tempted to put Toure in at right back too to shore up the back four again.

---------------Mignolet-------------

--Toure Skrtel Agger Enrique--

---Henderson Gerrard Lucas---

----Sterling Sturridge Moses----

This match should be a real indication of where our season is going.

Over the past few years we have dropped far too many points against teams we should be beating at Anfield. A win tomorrow would make it a great start to the season and put the disappointment of the second half of the Swansea game behind us.

Southampton have played much better than their results suggest so far this season, and have been really unlucky with officials decisions so far. The Southampton away game last season was arguably our poorest performance of 2013 so far, Gerrard and Allen got completely overran in midfield in that game so hopefully we will continue with the midfield three of Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson as this makes us much more robust in this area. 

With Suarez and Coutinho ruled out we are a bit light up top, Sturridge and Moses will surely start, and personally I'd go with Sterling over Aspas for the third attacking place.

Hopefully Agger will be back for this too. I'd drop Sakho if he is, as I think he will need a bit of time to adjust and adapt to the Premiership. I'd be tempted to put Toure in at right back too to shore up the back four again.

---------------Mignolet-------------

--Toure Skrtel Agger Enrique--

---Henderson Gerrard Lucas---

----Sterling Sturridge Moses----

Wouldn't like to see sakho dropped , he could sit in front of the defence alongside Lucas and push Gerrard further up seeing as Coutinho is out , assuming Agger is fit . 

Reminds me of Momo with his quick interceptions and passing - just a thought .

With an eye on the Utd game I think it'll be

Mignolet

Kelly  Skrtel Agger  Enrique

Lucas Henderson

Gerrard

Aspas Sturridge Moses

We'll need Kelly to give us more going forwards in this game with Toure taking the RB position for Utd and Sterling saved for counter attacking against Utd so Aspas plays here. Perhaps Alberto to start against Utd as well - Oh and Sahko to play against Utd unless Agger needs a couple more days.

We have an embarrassment of riches at center back! Which is a good thing. Although Sakho did very well in the second half against swansea i think skrtel and toure form our most solid partnership at CB if agger is injured. I expect Alberto or Sterling to get their chance , with aspas possibly missing out. But by not picking aspas it would be a big blow to the lad as if he cant get into the team when both cout and suarez are out then when willy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Upvote 1

We have an embarrassment of riches at center back! Which is a good thing. Although Sakho did very well in the second half against swansea i think skrtel and toure form our most solid partnership at CB if agger is injured. I expect Alberto or Sterling to get their chance , with aspas possibly missing out. But by not picking aspas it would be a big blow to the lad as if he cant get into the team when both cout and suarez are out then when willy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Any word on Agger's fitness?

I think our best CB combination right now would probably be Skrtel and Toure, but I can see an argument for playing Sakho again (given that he cost £15 million and all.)

I would play Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson as the midfield three, with Sterling coming in for Coutinho. Should be enough to get the job done.

I reckon Aspas will start in behind Sturridge. He hasn't really impressed so far, but he's got the edge on Alberto regarding physique when up against Wanyama.

Weird feeling going into this one. Last season we made too many winnable home games look hard work, and we've never really kicked the habit of stringing draws together.

I think Schneiderlin and Wanyama  opposite Lucas and Gerrard is an interesting match up. The Southampton duo are certainly more mobile and dynamic than ours and could be a key factor in the outcome.

It looks like Lambert and Osvaldo flanked by Rodriguez and Lallana will be their front four.

So Wisdom and Enrique who are not the ideal full backs to deal with the twisty turny nature of their wingers will have to step it up.

I'm more confident of our centre backs, be it Toure/Skrtel or Skrtel/Sakho of handling their front two.

As for our front four it's looking like either Moses (L) Aspas © Henderson ® and Sturridge (CF) or Sterling (L) Henderson © Moses ® and Sturridge (CF).

Either way I'd back those combinations to come out on top against Shaw (L). Clyne ® and Lovren © with Fonte©.

It's going to be tough but if Wisdom and Enrique can contain Lallana and Rodriguez I think we'll win 2-1. Still worried about Wanyama and Schneiderlin though.

• Upvote 3