You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You thought Ricky van Wolfswinkel would be good for us. He's got 1 in 13 for Norwich. There is no exact science here. Except with hindsight.

Exactly. That said, he might well have been good here. It's a sliding scale of risk. Sometimes it pays off, like Sturridge. Sometimes you get Aspas. For me, we've started to fix the ratio.

Please stop quoting the £16m figure. Chelsea bought our number one target, that we've had the entirety of January to complete, for £11m. Fact. 

I can completely agree with not being fucking daft with out spending such as with Carroll and Downing but the current transfer committee approach is what causes us to miss out on Mkhitaryan and Willian and up up with Victor fucking Moses. Destined to fail.

Exactly. That said, he might well have been good here. It's a sliding scale of risk. Sometimes it pays off, like Sturridge. Sometimes you get Aspas. For me, we've started to fix the ratio.

We'll get our money back with Aspas. Ilori and Alberto are for the future and Cissokho and Moses are loans, so no harm no foul.

Also there is a open path to the first team for Ibe.

Please stop quoting the £16m figure. Chelsea bought our number one target, that we've had the entirety of January to complete, for £11m. Fact. 

I can completely agree with not being fucking daft with out spending such as with Carroll and Downing but the current transfer committee approach is what causes us to miss out on Mkhitaryan and Willian and up up with Victor fucking Moses. Destined to fail.

Can't blame the board for Micky as he wouldn't even talk to us. We were blown out of the water with regards to Willian by Spurs never mind Chelsea. Costa used us to get a pay increase.

We'll get our money back with Aspas. Ilori and Alberto are for the future and Cissokho and Moses are loans, so no harm no foul.

Also there is a open path to the first team for Ibe.

If we miss out on Champions League football, again, the club falls further back. So of course there is harm in having wasted the limited resources we do have on players that aren't good enough.

Cissokho and Moses may only cost their wages, plus whatever their loan fees were, but the point is that they're in the squad. Cissokho, because of Enrique's injury, is currently our left back. Moses stank the place out a couple of months ago. It is damaging our season that they're part of the squad, and will damage us financially if we finish 7th again.

Genuine question. How are we fixing the ratio in your eyes?

To me, it looks like we've lurched from overspending and backing the manager at all costs, which resulted in Carroll and Downing, to placing "value" as the centrepiece of the entire strategy.

The problem is value is relative to many things, and the market is arguably the least of them. Value to the team seems to have fallen down the pecking order, so we're happy to acquire players in positions we don't need if they're bargains unlikely to depreciate, but not spend the requisite amount to rectify a glaring hole in the squad if no one's available at the right price.

We went into last summer with the same mantra as we've headed into this window - add quality.

We lucked out with Coutinho and Sturridge, and with each pasing day they look more like they're held up as the rules rather than the exceptions they so clearly were.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather give gametime to Ibe, he's sound.

I'd also really like to have access to the £11m Borini who we bought, and yet cannot use.

I'll say this though, next season we're going to have a fucking good squad. The experience that Borini, Assaidi, McLaughlin, Suso, Illori and Wisdom are getting out on loan is very good news. Also bear in mind that Sterling, Ibe, Rossiter, Smith will be that bit more older and physically developed.

I'd love to keep Suarez, love him, but if he leaves then it's not the end of the world either. We showed in the first few games what we can achieve with just Sturridge up front.

I feel sorry for Rodgers, he's been dealt a cunt's hand with injuries so far this season.

Next season squad:

GK - Mignolet, Jones/Ward

LB - Enrique, Smith

RB - Flanno, McLaughlin, NEW RB

CB - Sakho, Agger, Toure, Illori, NEW CB

CM - Hughes, Allen, Henderson, Rossiter?

AM - Sterling, Coutinho, Suso, Ibe, 2 NEW quick attackers

CF - Sturridge, Borini, NEW CF

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ayre needs to go. What does he actually do well other than ride around town on a Harley, climb on Robbie Fowler's shoulders while pissed up on a pre-season tour, and leave early to beat the rush hour traffic on transfer deadline day.

Anyone?

How do you know he does nothing? Have you shadowed him or something?

Typical reaction to missing out on a player nobody wanted because someone else paid over the odds to get him. Hysterical nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

It's what they did with willian and spurs.

They have sold Mata to take points off rivals and sabotaged the salah deal.

Or is it all a carefully engineered plan to free us up to go for our real target? (Doubt it)

I expect he was offered huge wages and it shows you have to act fast but to be fair he may have been waiting for a better offer anyway - who knows!