You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stoke City - Home - 17th Aug

Alex Gibbo

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we score early because the last thing we want is to be drawn into a war of attrition with a team of cloggers like these. On paper we should be able to play rings around them so I'm predicting a reasonably comfortable win. Team-wise I'd go with:

Mignolet

Johnson

Enrique

Toure

Agger

Lucas

Gerrard

Henderson

Coutinho

Sturridge

Aspas

Bench: Jones, Kelly, Wisdom, Allen, Ibe, Sterling, Borini.

Missed anyone?

We never start the season with a bang:

2012 WBA (A) 0-3

2011 Sunderland (H) 1-1

2010 Arsenal (H) 1-1

2009 Spurs (A) 1-2

2008 Sunderland (A) 1-0

2007 Villa (A) 2-1

2006 Sheff Utd (A) 1-1

2005 Boro (A) 0-0

2004 Spurs (A) 1-1

2003 Chelsea (H) 1-2

2002 Villa (A) 1-0

2001 West Ham (H) 2-1

2000 Bradord (H) 1-0

1999 Sheff Wed (A) 2-1

1998 Southampton (A) 2-1

1997 Wimbeldon (A) 1-1

1996 Boro (A) 3-3

1995 Sheff Wed (H) 1-0

1994 Palace (A) 6-1

It'd be great to start with a comfortable win for a change but a scrappy 1-0 would do. It ruins the whole weekend when we don't win the early Saturday game and it'd be even worse this time around with it being the opening weekend.

Would prefer to see Henderson in over Allen but other than that the team pretty much picks itself.

. Team-wise I'd go with:

Mignolet

Johnson

Enrique

Toure

Agger

Lucas

Gerrard

Henderson

Coutinho

Sturridge

Aspas

Bench: Jones, Kelly, Wisdom, Allen, Ibe, Sterling, Borini.

Missed anyone?

Alberto and Skrtel for the bench? (know Skrtel's had a knock but expected to be fit.) Missed the Celtic game but thought Alberto was very good against Valarenga and he got a goal v Newcastle as well the other day, would probably have him on the bench ahead of Ibe despite Ibe also having a very good pre-season

Alberto and Skrtel for the bench? (know Skrtel's had a knock but expected to be fit.) Missed the Celtic game but thought Alberto was very good against Valarenga and he got a goal v Newcastle as well the other day, would probably have him on the bench ahead of Ibe despite Ibe also having a very good pre-season

Alberto, yeah. I think he will be in there and one out of Ibe, Sterling and Borini will miss out. I think it will probably be Ibe although he is probably the most deserving of being in there. Similarly I think Allen will start although Henderson probably deserves it more.

Alberto, yeah. I think he will be in there and one out of Ibe, Sterling and Borini will miss out. I think it will probably be Ibe although he is probably the most deserving of being in there. Similarly I think Allen will start although Henderson probably deserves it more.

I think Ibe and Sterling have both been equally impressive in pre-season to be honest but I can't envisage a situation where we'd bring both of them on so one or the other as Borini offers something different (hopefully in a positive way this season), Sterling's experience from last year gets him the nod for me and I'd save Ibe for Notts County all being well with other players form/fitness and look to ease him in over the course of the season

I think Ibe and Sterling have both been equally impressive in pre-season to be honest but I can't envisage a situation where we'd bring both of them on so one or the other as Borini offers something different (hopefully in a positive way this season), Sterling's experience from last year gets him the nod for me and I'd save Ibe for Notts County all being well with other players form/fitness and look to ease him in over the course of the season

Fair assessment.

Apologies in advance- Im tired and should know better.

However.

I think we will struggle. All season unless we really dig deep in our pockets and bag a some class acts.

Stoke will just keep smashing the ball out of play as our set pieces will be a complete waste of time, but we'll keep doing them all day, and all day Huth and Shawrcross will keep swatting them away. And Stoke will probably score a header from a corner on 79mins. And we'll bring on allen to "shake things up"

If Sturridge doesnt start or is not 100% then I fear the worst.

I know theres 2 weeks left but I really thought we'd have got in that extra bit of proven quality and much needed physical presence by now.

We're not going to beat them in any way physically so we need to abuse them with pace and passing.

I want to see Sterling on the pitch as he's looked well rested and sharp and is prime to take on these lumbering brutes. He'll probably be an impact sub though.

Can't wait, it'll probably be disappointing but fuck it, footy's back, bring it on.

I'm hoping we play an attacking formation as opposed to a defensive one, can't see stoke scoring one against us on the counter, they don't have fast blokes who can run and shoot.

Take all of our set pieces short or direct, rather than trying to let someone head it in, pretty much impossible every season as shawcross and huth are monsters.

I'll say a comfortable 1-0 scoreline with coutinho getting a goal from outside the box.

And pray that none of our players get a leg broken from those rough guys.

And we get better odds of winning with sparky as their manager.

Last season we started Suso in both games and I think Suso and Sterling both started away which made it even easier for Stoke to bully us. No way he will be as naive this time round as that team selected away was shocking. Despite them not having Pulis, Hughes Blackburn were a very physical team so I don't expect much change but the only difference is they might not play 4 cb.

Coutinho and Aspas haven't experienced the pleasures of Huth, Walters, Shawcross and co so it will be a good test for them. With Coutinho, Aspas and Allen will we be too lightweight and maybe vulnerable aerially?, hopefully he gives Henderson the nod.

Be interesting now Coutinho is known as a quality player what teams plan for him. His two old managers managed to keep him quieter by closing him down and denying him space.

Mignolet, Johnson, Kolo, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Aspas. Should be the team. It'll be Allen instead of Henderson, the teachers pet.

I would go as far as to say that Henderson became close to being a key player for us at the end of last season, so disappointing he's not been selected much in pre season.

[b

We have been playing well and perhaps the Celtic defeat reminds us we have to be clinical. Last season with the Suarez cloud over our heads we destroyed Newcastle 6-0. 4 months on, a repeat would be great obviously but id take any sort of win.

That's the key for me. I expect another twenty-plus shots game and a frustrating 1:0 win.

If we score early, then all bets are off and we can hammer these cloggers 3-4 nil. The more this game goes on and stays 0:0 however, the more frustrating it may become.

Tony Pulis not being in their dugout probably improves our chances tenfold. The baseball cap wearing, ale house football, monotonous, cheating cunt had the kybosh over us.

I am very pleased with that one - I couldn't fucking stand that cap-wearing Demento-arse-licking inbred jamook.

Not confident about this at all. Hughes and Stoke generally have the indian sign over us. Think it'll be a frustrating 1-1 draw.

Sparky can work in our favour as he will get them out of their defensive shell and urge them playing attacking football.

That will be perfect for us and suit us to a tee, if it happens. He ain't Tony Pulis to park the entire bus in front of the penalty area and hoof it up to Crouch, thank god.