You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

It's not hard to work out that we didn't offer the job to Martinez or that he wasn't our first choice, he was hesitant because of a dof while the owners scrapped their plans to get Rodgers and not Martinez.

You've got no more clue than I have as to whether he was asked or not. 

You've got no more clue than I have as to whether he was asked or not.

I can't remember who but good sources were saying he wasn't offered the job when there was talk he had been.

Apart from that logic tells me Martinez wouldn't have turned down the job if he had been given control like Rodgers and since they didn't offer him that while they did with Rodgers that makes me think they wanted him more .

• Downvote 1

How's it obvious?  The club isn't making a profit, we're spending what we earn.  The problem is Rodgers and his band of merry men keep spending our large budget on absolute shite.

This is a fallacy perpetuated by the club.  They've been paying off huge debt they kept on the club so they bought us for a cheap price for the last few years, which is why our finances haven't looked too hot.

This years financial accounts predict  over £50m profit for the period over the last 12 months.

Their plan has been - and remains - to strangle the wage bill so they can pay for the new stand out of operating profit over the next 4-5 years.

We could easily be affording to pay as much in wages as Arsenal for example. Instead this is how the average wage per first team player (k per week) has gone over the last few years :

lfc_salaries_2.png

And this summer we're losing Stevie and Johnson.

• Upvote 1

I know as much as you and am giving my opinion like you did, my idea of what happened seems more likely unless people believe Martinez would turn down LFC and prefer managing Everton.

Exactly the point I was making, except I haven't expressed an opinion because I'm not remotely arsed whether Brown Shoes was offered the job or not. I merely pointed out that both sides had made contradictory statements and the individual would have to hang their hat on whatever they wanted to believe. But none of us know for sure.

And the reason I'm not arsed is we have more immediate problems to deal with.

How's it obvious?  The club isn't making a profit, we're spending what we earn.  The problem is Rodgers and his band of merry men keep spending our large budget on absolute shite.

I think a big part of the problem is the "model" we're using. We need experienced players to mix with the younger ones we have, and if we don't get that sorted we could be in serious trouble. We haven't got the intelligence to set up like Arsenal did (which as far as I remember is what the owners were/are trying to do.) and even if we did, they've spent a lot of the time only just managing a CL spot anyway. They also have an experienced manager in charge who's won the league and so on, which could be essential to keep some type of confidence in the squad when things aren't going so well, we don't even have that.

If this carries on I think it's fair to think that many fans will see it as taking the piss, because we could drift towards being the mid-table club that a lot of fans are fearing. Some of our money probably has to be spent on experience for us to fix this (which could also mean a change of manager), and if that also means big wages at times, that as well.

If I thought the staff at the club had the intelligence to pull this model off I wouldn't despair so much, but I don't think they do. From the manager to the people scouting and buying the players, etc, I just don't think there's the understanding there to make this work, I think it needs changing.

• Upvote 1

I could try but it probably wouldn't get through.

You could also try and then we could debate it, after all this is a forum, I dont expect you to know what that word means, but give a guy a chance to explain his views, and maybe the world would be a better place.

Or just ignore it and go with the modern version, where comments are law, and no matter what, you are right or wrong by a simple post.

Debate, its great when it's used for what it is, otherwise we just post thoughts and are judge on it/them.

I respect rodgers and don't think he deserves to be called a cunt, there's nothing to debate. If you or anyone else thinks that's acceptable it's up to you, I don't like it though.

Good to see the likes of ewe an stu when yas cant win an argument retreat to the moral highground. Lay down a suppressing fire.

I know as much as you and am giving my opinion like you did, my idea of what happened seems more likely unless people believe Martinez would turn down LFC and prefer managing Everton.

Well the owners clearly liked his work and invited him over to boston just for a coffee and to discuss politics and fashion.

Of course they offered him the job, bobby turned it down thinking reject the first offer and dont settle for a dof above you. He was undercut by rodgers who didnt want money just a lifetimes supply of colgate and not only would he work with a dof but was willing to have a whole team of them above him.

Everton got the better manager. Or theyre equally shit.

Martinez probably didnt get on with mike gordon, being that mike and bren are both billy bullshitters bobby brownshoes had to go.

• Upvote 1

I respect rodgers and don't think he deserves to be called a cunt, there's nothing to debate. If you or anyone else thinks that's acceptable it's up to you, I don't like it though.

What a horrid world we live in when you can't just call the manager a false-toothed cunt and still get a table for two at Pete and Bernie's Philosophical steak house.

• Upvote 2

Thats fair enough, but to just come back with a slate with no substance is akin to saying what I said is wrong.

Do me a favour and google "debate" and "forum", then we can discuss things like adults, and not kids who take every word for what it is.

That way if you or I say something neither agrees with, we can at least find a middle ground for what we actually think about it.

Failing that, you can call me whatever, and lizzie can keep down repping me because he/she thinks it makes him/her a better person in the eyes of those he/she thinks he/she needs to impress for recognition.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thats fair enough, but to just come back with a slate with no substance is akin to saying what I said is wrong.

Do me a favour and google "debate" and "forum", then we can discuss things like adults, and not kids who take every word for what it is.

That way if you or I say something neither agrees with, we can at least find a middle ground for what we actually think about it.

Failing that, you can call me whatever, and lizzie can keep down repping me because he/she thinks it makes him/her a better person in the eyes of those he/she thinks he/she needs to impress for recognition.

I've duly negged this post, and if you listen carefully over the sound of your rarified adult thoughts such as "he runs like a homo", "the false-toothed cunt", and your numerous masterclasses on the subject of racism, you can hear the whole forum pulling themselves off at how amazing I am for pressing a red button.

Other than you, a let's face it uniquely individual, intellectual, non-politically correct force of nature, popularity's what everyone else is in it for, so it's natural it would be that which motivates me rather than just thinking you come across as a massive helmet. 

Male by the way.

Disagree, well, agree on Ings, but Milner and Benteke are astute signings for a top team. I wouldn't blink if Arsenal were linked with them for example.

So much of next season depends on Sturridge. A rational mind would surmise that he will be fit for next season, it's not like he did his cruciate, and he's about to get a full pre-season under his belt.

A strikeforce of Sturridge and Benteke could rip teams to pieces. It's just the layer below that, is Ings and Origi a reasonable back-up to those two? No, we're missing a striker there. Not least because Origi is yet to convince that he's actually a striker and not a wide forward.

However we spend that money up-top, we need to fix this defence and centre mid which has seen 141 league goals shipped in three seasons. Bear in mind Chelsea have shipped 32 goals this season and 27 the previous season.

If we want to win the title, and that should be the target, regardless of whether it is realistic, then we need to stop conceding so many goals and we need to score more.

This season we finished with a goal difference of +4.

Here is a list, in order, of the last umpteen PL winners, and their goal difference at the end of the season:

Chelsea +41

City +65

United +43

City +64

United +41

Chelsea +71

United +44

United +58

United +56

Chelsea +50

Chelsea +57

Arsenal +47

United +40

Arsenal +43

So, you can look at that a couple of ways, but we need to be hitting around the +45 mark and see where we are in the table. And we can do that by adding 41 goals to our team, which is very unlikely. Or we can do that by adding 30 goals, and conceding 11 goals less.

Our full back options are ghastly, as is our DM options, Milner is not a DM.

Sturridge won't be fit until mid-September.

Disagree, well, agree on Ings, but Milner and Benteke are astute signings for a top team...

So much of next season depends on Sturridge. A rational mind would surmise that he will be fit for next season, it's not like he did his cruciate, and he's about to get a full pre-season under his belt.

I agree that benteke and Milner would be good signings- but doubt that we can afford Milner's wages, and worry that Brendan will wreck Big Bens scoring form.

As for Sturridge, he has only ever played a full season once in his career and don't think that he can be relied upon for that next season.

It needs a more experienced manager than Brendan to assemble what is needed.