You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I'd agree with nearly all that. Lukaku is going to be something special if he continues his current progress. Next to no chance with that. With Kone I think the chance is there right now to get a player, possibly from the Championship, that is a proven goalscorer and a quality player to boot. As long as we didn't get Whelan'd he'd be a value for money solid squad option. Maybe not title winning quality but we desperately need depth and it's unlikely anyone in the Champions League would want him either. Our bench has been nothing short of appalling for a few years now. We're lucky that long-term injuries in general have been on the low side. With Borini I have no idea what he can achieve, we really haven't seen him very much and when we have he hasn't looked up to much. I think at the very least we may need to send him out on loan somewhere where he'll play as a striker for a while so we can take a better look at where he is.

Borini will spend his career out on loan. People just dont know what to make of him.

He swerved us when he was younger for the same reason. Trust me, i'd like him here but very very much doubt it.

To be fair, mate, you've said you know the lad and his family so you might be right and I'm prepared to bow to your superior knowledge.

I don't know though, I just get the feeling allegiances aren't the be all and end all when you turn pro. I can understand it when you're a kid and you're at youth level and you just want to play for your favourite team, but I think players tend to realise it's about their what's best for their career when they mature. Baines, for instance, was a boyhood red, yet he plays for the shite and could easily go to that shower up the East Lancs this summer.

If the shite came in for him as well, I could understand him choosing us over them but if it was solely us and we made him a concrete offer, I'm not sure he'd reject it flat out just because he's a blue; especially if Wigan were to go down.

Just my take on it like, but you could be right, mate. Maybe you could have a word, eh?

Id imagine we would be offering a hell if a lot more money and obv that talks but they are a no red in the hose family. You know the kind.... Bitter as they come.

Who is the new bird on sky sports news!!!! Beautiful her

Borini will spend his career out on loan. People just dont know what to make of him.

Looks solely to be a poacher. Pace meh, acceleration meh. Positioning - a natural. Aerial threat - none. Struggles playing in wide areas. Finishing seems to let him down, in a red shirt anyway. Looks nowhere near good enough to start as striker in a Premier League team with Champions League ambitions. Hope I'm proved wrong.

Looks solely to be a poacher. Pace meh, acceleration meh. Positioning - a natural. Aerial threat - none. Struggles playing in wide areas. Finishing seems to let him down, in a red shirt anyway. Looks nowhere near good enough to start as striker in a Premier League team with Champions League ambitions. Hope I'm proved wrong.

Yet his performances in the italian league last year earned him a place in their national squad for the Euros, and they got to the final. But I completely agree with your assessment, in 40 years as a Liverpool supporter I can’t remember us signing a more atrocious forward. He’s abject, he can barely trap a ball for God’s sake. He’s looked so bad I don’t understand how he ever got identified as a potential pro-footballer. In fact his singular awfulness has filled me with this odd conviction that he’s actually going to turn out to be really good, like a piece of consumer electronics that just needs re-booting then suddenly works perfectly.

Anyway the italians still rate him apparently, Fiorentina were rumoured to be interested a few months ago. If they sell Jovetic maybe we’ll get most of our money back.

I have no idea what some people problem with Borini is, he has some of the best movement I've seen. The problem is Brendan sees him as some kind of wide forward and he just isn't. If played through the middle I think you'd see a decent goal return unless he has great movement but an inability to finish.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Get French Football ?@GFN_France 32m

CONTACT: We can confirm that Liverpool have contacted Toulouse over the availability of Aymen #Abdennour. #LFC #TFC

No idea if that's a solid source or not, but pleased with the link. We need to get a move on if we're going to beat Barca to his signature.

Guest ShoePiss
I have no idea what some people problem with Borini is, he has some of the best movement I've seen. The problem is Brendan sees him as some kind of wide forward and he just isn't. If played through the middle I think you'd see a decent goal return unless he has great movement but an inability to finish.

I think I've seen all of his goals, the majority have come from the left or the right hand side, even if that hasn't been his starting position.

Not that it matters though, he's fucking shit.

Totally agree. There's an excellent player in there!

Sounds like there is a new big spender in town, also looking for a new manager been linked with Mancini and Rafa.

Radamel Falcao rejects Chelsea after Roman Abramovich is outbid by Monaco's Russian billionaire.

Roman Abramovich has failed in his efforts to furnish his new Chelsea manager with arguably the world’s best centre-forward after a fellow Russian billionaire outbid him for Radamel Falcao.

The Monaco owner, Dmitry Rybolovlev, has agreed to buy the Colombia international out of his contract at Atletico Madrid for about £50m. Falcao’s annual salary, already one of the highest in world football, is likely to rise to €9.8m after tax. The striker, who has scored 27 goals in 32 La Liga matches this season for third-placed Atletico, could still move elsewhere, but close friends expect he will accept the Monaco deal.

He will spearhead Rybolovlev’s plan, first to depose Paris Saint-Germain as French champions and then win the Champions League. Though Monaco will only return to France’s top division in time for next season after being relegated in 2011, the scale and quality of Rybolovlev’s intended summer spending is described by a well-informed source as “something unbelievable”.

Duncan castle Times.

I think his movement has become a bit of a bandwagon. He has good movement but its no more amazing than ive seen from a lot of players. It maybe we are just highlighting out of desperation because he generally so far looks the epitome of mediocre. That's not to say he wont go on and be very good just at the minute i don't really see anything in him that makes me think hes a good player.

He'll score today now its a cert.

You need 4 forwards, at the moment he'd be 3rd or 4th.

I don't disagree, but most players who fall into the 3rd/4th choice CF category are either very young and thus happy to be used sparingly, or decent in another position.

Granted Borini's got age on his side, but if he wants to nail down a place in the Italy squad any time soon he needs game time.

With Luis's ongoing disciplinary issues & Sturridge the type to have injury niggles a fair bit, Borini will get a fair amount of game time even as an impact sub. He can cover right across the front line, so could be a useful squaddie.

His season has been so disjointed I am basically writing off anything I've seen this season from him & treating him as a new signing next season ( assuming he's not being sold which I don't think he will )