You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

If we could get one or two wide forwards i'd not be unhappy at all if we didnt sign that 'ready made' playmaker for attacking central midfield, Coutinho has been absolutely fantastic in that role and there's nothing to suggest he wont continue to get better.

Besides from CB i think we need a beast of a central midfielder more than anything. Im really hoping these Wanyama rumours are more than just talk. At only 21 i think he's going to be something else.

Don't know this Waynama guy well enough, how good is he; a future Gerrad!

Apparantly Arsenal will be give 100m to Whinger. Yikes!

I think money's always been available to him and he could pretty much spend what he wanted, it's more a question of him being comfortable doing so.

I'd be surprised if they gave him a mammoth amount though given he may not be there much longer. It'd be sensible if they had cash to burn to leave some for a new manager.

We'll need funding, as I said...it'll be a case of funds in and funds out - hey - it always is, with us. If Luis wholeheartedly wants to stay, then obviously, we have a goal machine pretty much, but if he wants off, my gut feeling is that Sturridge might actually contribute more - like I say, it's just a gut feeling.

As for Henderson, well, the whole debate about who is better ( v Allen ) is a nonsense really. The fact of the matter is that they are very similar players, who play in very similar roles, and I think it's unrealistic to keep both, with the arrival of Coutinho, and bearing in mind the owners' desire to develop and on-sell. Allen has just arrived, so he aint going anywhere. Henderson came in under the previous regime, so is the obvious choice - we'd at least get what we paid for him if we sold now, in my opinion. Downing on the other hand is past his sell on date (at profit) and is useful on either side of midfield, and willing to accept that squad role, at this time in his career.

Glen Johnson, for me, has a lousy attitude. Either he wants to go, or he wants an easy ride. Fuck that attitude; and personally, I would be choosing Kelly as my number one right back, assuming good fitness. I felt that when he got in his groove, he was all round a better player than Johnson. Wisdom is also maturing nicely, and we simply can't afford a bigger squad.

Obviously if the owners come to the party with the dosh to continue to expand the squad, then no worries, but is that likely?? We just can't afford to keep a big squad..that's why so many were sent on their way at the end of last season. Choices need to be made.

Yeah, fair enough, I see where you're coming from with this but it's still not the way. We sell Skrtel, Downing, Carroll - that should fetch about £30 million. That's plenty of incoming money this summer without selling Suarez, Henderson and Johnson.

If Suarez wants to go then of course that decision will maybe be made for us. But we shouldn't look to sell him, that's bonkers. You don't sell Suarez in the hope to get more out of Sturridge. Personally, I'd rather find a way to fit the two in the same attack, probably with Suarez playing wide. That could be dynamite.

I actually am not the biggest fan of Johnson at the minute either, he's been poor for weeks now, and I don't disagree that Kelly could get a run in the team. But, Kelly has a lot to prove injury-wise, and that would leave us with only Kelly and Wisdom. I don't like that and I don't see the value in selling Johnson as one of most experienced defenders when Skrtel and Carra are finished.

Henderson's starting to show he could be a good player, there's no doubt that selling now is a bad idea, especially when you consider again that Gerrard is getting on. We need Henderson and Allen.

I don't see why we need to look at risky sales when there are obvious ones jumping out at us, as I've mentioned above.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I agree, Dim. Henderson is the only one of the Adam/Downing/Carroll/Henderson quartet who looks like he might have the potential to one-day justify the outlay. I think it was a dickie purchase, and we overpaid, but getting rid of him on the cheap now he's really improving - and is still young - would be daft.

I think it's fair to say Skrtel, Downing, and Carroll are good choices to sell. Reina, for me, is getting to that age where we either stick with him for the rest of his career, or get the money we can and rebuild. Coates might fetch a few quid, too. I don't think it's fair to keep him if we're not going to play him. He definitely has talent but he needs games. Maybe Italy would suit him better.

I hope we can manage to get Abdennour. He can play centrally, but also cover on the left. We need that if Enrique gets injured. Switching Johnson over isn't ideal, we start to weaken all over the defensive line that way. Alderweireld closes the gap between defence and midfield very well, so those would be two I'd look at. We're linked with Albiol, but I don't think that's much of a goer.

I agree, Dim. Henderson is the only one of the Adam/Downing/Carroll/Henderson quartet who looks like he might have the potential to one-day justify the outlay. I think it was a dickie purchase, and we overpaid, but getting rid of him on the cheap now he's really improving - and is still young - would be daft.

I think it's fair to say Skrtel, Downing, and Carroll are good choices to sell. Reina, for me, is getting to that age where we either stick with him for the rest of his career, or get the money we can and rebuild. Coates might fetch a few quid, too. I don't think it's fair to keep him if we're not going to play him. He definitely has talent but he needs games. Maybe Italy would suit him better.

I hope we can manage to get Abdennour. He can play centrally, but also cover on the left. We need that if Enrique gets injured. Switching Johnson over isn't ideal, we start to weaken all over the defensive line that way. Alderweireld closes the gap between defence and midfield very well, so those would be two I'd look at. We're linked with Albiol, but I don't think that's much of a goer.

Forgot about Coates, he also "sells himself" so to speak. You could probably get £5 million for Coates. So, Skrtel £7, Coates £5, Downing £6, Carroll £15. That's plenty of selling.

I don't know anything about Abdennour but all the talk is positive. I just hope we actually sign our main targets.

Forgot about Coates, he also "sells himself" so to speak. You could probably get £5 million for Coates. So, Skrtel £7, Coates £5, Downing £6, Carroll £15. That's plenty of selling.

I don't know anything about Abdennour but all the talk is positive. I just hope we actually sign our main targets.

Underselling a couple there, Downing should not leave for less than £10m, and the Skrtel should be £10m plus - Samba, Wiliams, Jagielka, will all move for more than £10m. I'm hoping Stoke make a play for Downing, although for £5m i'd rather keep him as 7th choice.

We'll need funding, as I said...it'll be a case of funds in and funds out - hey - it always is, with us. If Luis wholeheartedly wants to stay, then obviously, we have a goal machine pretty much, but if he wants off, my gut feeling is that Sturridge might actually contribute more - like I say, it's just a gut feeling.

As for Henderson, well, the whole debate about who is better ( v Allen ) is a nonsense really. The fact of the matter is that they are very similar players, who play in very similar roles, and I think it's unrealistic to keep both, with the arrival of Coutinho, and bearing in mind the owners' desire to develop and on-sell. Allen has just arrived, so he aint going anywhere. Henderson came in under the previous regime, so is the obvious choice - we'd at least get what we paid for him if we sold now, in my opinion. Downing on the other hand is past his sell on date (at profit) and is useful on either side of midfield, and willing to accept that squad role, at this time in his career.

Glen Johnson, for me, has a lousy attitude. Either he wants to go, or he wants an easy ride. Fuck that attitude; and personally, I would be choosing Kelly as my number one right back, assuming good fitness. I felt that when he got in his groove, he was all round a better player than Johnson. Wisdom is also maturing nicely, and we simply can't afford a bigger squad.

Obviously if the owners come to the party with the dosh to continue to expand the squad, then no worries, but is that likely?? We just can't afford to keep a big squad..that's why so many were sent on their way at the end of last season. Choices need to be made.

Sturridge will contribute more than Suarez? Sorry but I disagree. sturridge can score goals, Suarez can unlock fort knox, shag it's wife then blow the cash on roulette and hookers then score goals.

Henderson and Allen are not that similar. Henderson is more attacking. Coutinho has nothing to do with either.

We wouldn't get 16 million for Henderson. I do rate him though and dont want him to go.

Glen Johnson has been boss this season, for me he is in the top 6 or 7 right backs in the world. Kelly is too injury prone.

Underselling a couple there, Downing should not leave for less than £10m, and the Skrtel should be £10m plus - Samba, Wiliams, Jagielka, will all move for more than £10m. I'm hoping Stoke make a play for Downing, although for £5m i'd rather keep him as 7th choice.

You're being optimistic there. £5 to £7 million I'd say. I'm not against the idea of keeping Downing though. I think he's rubbish most of the time but I can see the argument for keeping him. But he's disposable.

I agree that your numbers are probably about right, though you may be underselling a couple of them slightly.

My guess would be £5 million for Coates, £10 million for Skrtel, £6 million for Downing, £2 million for Spearing and £13 million for Carroll. I don't think people really realise how much money we're going to have this summer, because that's actually quite a bit. £36 million from those sales (and you could substitute Shelvey for Downing for roughly the same price if you think Downing will stay).

Add to that what you would expect will be at least £20 million, and probably more like £30 million with the new TV deal and we will actually have a LOT of money to spend this summer. We have a lot of places to fill with it, but there's no reason we can't target a CB and an AM from the very top drawer for the first XI and a number of very solid options for depth (another CB, a wide forward, and a DM. Maybe even a fullback?).

I think we should keep one of Coates or Skrtel in the summer.

Losing 3 defenders in one summer is suicide.

I agree in principle, but clearly neither are rated by Rodgers.

To use Skrtel as a last resort when some Russian Oligarch would probably shower us in dirty Rubles for his services seems a waste.

And Coates isn't going to get any better without regular games, so we'd probably get similar performances out of a replacement that was used for the odd game. Why keep him for that, when it'd just be a running down of a contract for a player who many around Europe probably still rate highly?

It's just a shame that Coates never got a loan so we could see what he was capable of once he settled.

Sturridge will contribute more than Suarez? Sorry but I disagree. sturridge can score goals, Suarez can unlock fort knox, shag it's wife then blow the cash on roulette and hookers then score goals.

Henderson and Allen are not that similar. Henderson is more attacking. Coutinho has nothing to do with either.

We wouldn't get 16 million for Henderson. I do rate him though and dont want him to go.

Glen Johnson has been boss this season, for me he is in the top 6 or 7 right backs in the world. Kelly is too injury prone.

For me Glen Johnson is not in the top 6 or 7 rightbacks in the league. He has a cunts attitude and should be sold while he still has some sort of value attached to him. The only reason to keep him is because other experienced players are leaving, is that reason enough? Not in my eyes its not, let him grow his dreds again and have some other club pay for his tattoo's.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Logical' date=' yeah. Europe is quaking in terror at the thought of Diame and Kone playing for Liverpool.[/quote']

The sort of signing I'm terrified of.