You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

But he's not a midfielder - nor was he ever a midfielder. He's an inside forward and always was far better in that position, as part of the Mane-Firminho-Coutinho trio. If Barcelona expected an Iniesta type then that's probably half-way to explaining why he's struggling to make a mark over there.

20 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He's a world class midfielder who the manager openly considers (he spent January to June discussing how "cool" it would be to have Coutinho in the side) to be an integral link between the midfield and Mane, Bobby and Salah. It is possible I'd rather play him than Wijnaldum, yeah.

Coutinho is a a much better player than Gini, however it’s not really a direct comparison. Coutinho was a poor CM but a brilliant attacker.

Coutinho can't consistently play centre mid unless you have 75% possession every game. Not even Barca want to play him there. 

I think Isco is an apt comparison: a phenomenal talent who can't play every game for a big side because they're too selfish, lack positional awareness and are hard to place on the pitch unless you give them free roles. 

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Coutinho can't consistently play centre mid unless you have 75% possession every game. Not even Barca want to play him there. 

I think Isco is an apt comparison: a phenomenal talent who can't play every game for a big side because they're too selfish, lack positional awareness and are hard to place on the pitch unless you give them free roles. 

Or just left side of the front three for Coutinho.

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

35 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Coutinho is a a much better player than Gini, however it’s not really a direct comparison. Coutinho was a poor CMbut a brilliant attacker.

Now that Buvac has fucked off, have you boys considered selling your services to Klopp? He'd be very interested in hearing how Coutinho can't play CM, as, I'm sure Guardiola would. He must be wondering how Coutinho constantly took the piss out of his team's from there.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Now that Buvac has fucked off, have you boys considered selling your services to Klopp? He'd be very interested in hearing how Coutinho can't play CM, as, I'm sure Guardiola would. He must be wondering how Coutinho constantly took the piss out of his team's from there.

When was this?

Yeah, can't recall Coutinho ever having played against City from midfield - much less a Guardiola-led City. Maybe in the 3-2 home win for Rodgers against Pellegrini's City .. but we were so bombastic back then it was like 4 forwards on the pitch with Coutinho/Sterling/Sturridge/Suarez almost playing without a midfield bar Henderson/Gerrard

21 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I'm sure he would play CM for Guardiola as my comment indicated. For any other manager, I don't think he would consistently play there in important matches against big clubs or sides who attack very well. 

More importantly, again unless you're talking about Guardiola, I don't know why you'd take a player who shoots and dribbles a tonne and ask him to play CM and defend/run a bunch. You want him in a free role, either as an attacking midfielder or inside winger. That's not some hot take, that's just common sense. 

I thought that article from the Spanish (I think it was Marca, admittedly) press about Klopp's surprise about Barca's plan for Coutinho was very enlightening.

If you haven't read it, it basically says that Klopp saw Coutinho as physically incapable of making the kinds of runs needed in Barca's 4-3-3 as a midfielder. He required more recovery time after sprints than a midfielder gets, making it pretty hard to play him there for 90 minutes.

Don't know how much truth there is in it but it does explain why we rarely saw Coutinho in the midfield, despite it being on paper a good idea. It's also why I'd be shocked if we were ever interested in going back for him. Klopp wants his midfielders to be physically elite as you can see by the ones he's bought: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Fabinho, Gini and Keita. And if we're looking for a wide left player to back up Sadio it will be someone a lot more similar to him or Salah than Coutinho.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, why would people talk about players and tactics on a football forum? Real head scratcher. 

There's a difference between debate and opinions. You however, think you are a beacon of knowledge when in fact you talk utter shit. That formation you posted the other day was laughable.

27 minutes ago, Elite said:

There's a difference between debate and opinions. You however, think you are a beacon of knowledge when in fact you talk utter shit. That formation you posted the other day was laughable.

That formation was pure genius. Something you would've seen Cruyff or Michels employ.