You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much are other clubs willing to give him per week?

I'd let him talk to other clubs if he wants, call his bluff. I'll be shocked if anyone would offer a 17 year old as much as us. City and Chelsea aside, like, but then point out to him the players that City and Chelsea would have ahead of him in their team and on the bench.

I think there's one thing this whole sordid episode has taught me and that's that we need to sort out long-term deals with Sinclar and Ibe very, very soon, before they get a proper glimpse of the first team.

anyone get the impression the whole Slur Alex bringing up the Liverpool burning out Owen story again is a hidden dig at Sterling?

It's probably more of a "sit out 18 mths, and come and join me. You know how good I have been at integrating youngsters and allowing them to develop".

How much are other clubs willing to give him per week?

I'd let him talk to other clubs if he wants, call his bluff. I'll be shocked if anyone would offer a 17 year old as much as us. City and Chelsea aside, like, but then point out to him the players that City and Chelsea would have ahead of him in their team and on the bench.

I think there's one thing this whole sordid episode has taught me and that's that we need to sort out long-term deals with Sinclar and Ibe very, very soon, before they get a proper glimpse of the first team.

Here's the thing. Clubs lie to sign players, I always remember Silvestre under GH. We'd practically wrapped the deal up, then the scum came in, promised he'd be playing as a centre back, then as soon as he signed, they shoved him out to left back.

Also, I have no idea why people think they can get under the skin of these players better than other people. Firstly, the minute you let sterling talk to other clubs, we lose him, and secondly, this pseudo-psychological approach that lists players of top clubs ahead of Sterling, is fucking stupid, quite frankly.

There's a lot you can write about Sterling really, he's right in the middle of the media hype machine at present, like Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain have been in recent years. And some of the stuff about him is well over the top, and some is just plain shite, like this from Hodgson in September...

Sterling, 17, was called into Roy Hodgson's England squad on Monday.

Hodgson defended the selection, despite the winger having only started three senior games.

"He mustn't think he's become part of the set-up and has made it," said the England manager, ahead of Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine at Wembley.

"When you bring someone in who has only burst on the scene in the last couple of games, I'm causing headlines to be written.

"I've explained the thinking behind him coming in and I'll make it clear to Raheem. He'll be pretty lucky to get close to the pitch because there were plenty of players who were chosen in front of him."

Fast forward to the Sweden game 6 weeks later, he's starting an England game and playing 85 minutes.

It's ludicrous how quickly this has all gained momentum. This is someone with only 17 top level appearances to his name, and about half of them have been as a substitute. Do you really pay that player £50,000 per week? I don't know the answer to that, you could argue that in less than a month he'll be 18 if that makes it sound easier to justify. But, at the same time, will he blossom over the next two years to be someone from the same awesome talent pool as Gotze, Wilshire, Neymar, Shaqiri, Lamela, Muniain or will his development stutter like Lukaku, McEachran, Eriksen, Miyachi, Coutinho, Canales, Wickham, and Romeu?

Sterling needs to look at someone like John Guidetti at City to see that talented teenagers dont actually mean fuck all to City if you're inferior to the highly paid established players. Tevez, Balotelli, Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko, Sinclair, all competing for the attacking positions, with Guidetti also on standby, having scored 20 goals in 23 games for Feyenoord last season.

Rodgers knows all about this, and I fucking loved what he said back after Sterling's performance vs Man City.

Raheem Sterling: Brendan Rodgers says, 'I don't want money to ruin youngster' - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Money DOES blunt young players, many of them just stop giving 100% as soon as they sign that contract, at a time when he needs to be putting in everything to help us and his own development. I think Sterling is a major talent, despite what Code says, but what makes him stand out from a hundred other quick young wingers is that he is 10% more determined to stay on his feet and he wants to win and impress people. The danger is that he signs that contract and then loses that 10% extra desire to use his talent.

Sterling is managed by this tit.

robert@robsegal.com

Tel:+44-20/8905 1133

Fax:+44-20/8905 1020

Rodgers knows all about this, and I fucking loved what he said back after Sterling's performance vs Man City.

Raheem Sterling: Brendan Rodgers says, 'I don't want money to ruin youngster' - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Money DOES blunt young players, many of them just stop giving 100% as soon as they sign that contract, at a time when he needs to be putting in everything to help us and his own development. I think Sterling is a major talent, despite what Code says, but what makes him stand out from a hundred other quick young wingers is that he is 10% more determined to stay on his feet and he wants to win and impress people. The danger is that he signs that contract and then loses that 10% extra desire to use his talent.

Sterling is managed by this tit.

robert@robsegal.com

Tel:+44-20/8905 1133

Fax:+44-20/8905 1020

Is the comment at the bottom of that article the same dude abides that posts on here.

He could of signed a pre contract, so when he turns 18 that contracts starts.

I just think we have once again lost the bargaining power like you mentioned, all because we have left it very late to offer him a new deal.

Everyone at the club knew he had massive potential, you don't spend 600k on a 14/15year old (with the possibility of it rising to 5mill) without the idea of him becoming a a very good player in the future.

We all know FSG want a low wage budget, so it will be interesting to see how they are looking at this, would they be happy to pay a 18 year old 30k + per week?

I guess that would depend on the level of contribution that they would expect him to give over the coming seasons.

30k would be fair as at now, because he is a regular first teamer.

He could of signed a pre contract, so when he turns 18 that contracts starts.

I just think we have once again lost the bargaining power like you mentioned, all because we have left it very late to offer him a new deal.

Everyone at the club knew he had massive potential, you don't spend 600k on a 14/15year old (with the possibility of it rising to 5mill) without the idea of him becoming a a very good player in the future.

We all know FSG want a low wage budget, so it will be interesting to see how they are looking at this, would they be happy to pay a 18 year old 30k + per week?

That would be far too easy.

Liverpool FC are utterly directionless.

Here is where Arsenal are with Oxlade Chamberlin.

The England forward is in negotiations over a new contract, but Arsenal planned to offer him less than flops Marouane Chamakh, Sebastien Squillaci and Nicklas Bendtner.

The trio all earn about £50,000 a week and it is understood Arsenal hoped to treble Oxlade-Chamberlain’s pay packet to £45,000 a week.

Such an offer may seem generous for a 19-year-old, but he has already established himself as a first-team regular for both Arsenal and England, and is rated one of the brightest prospects in Europe.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has reiterated he is happy at Arsenal, but they will need to up their offer to £60,000 to sort the issue quickly.

The news will infuriate Arsenal fans, who are ¬already angry at the club’s failure to pay their top stars the going rate.

Arsenal want to reward Oxlade-Chamberlain for his whirlwind progression since joining from Southampton last summer. But he is already tied to a long-term contract and there is currently no danger of him quitting the Emirates.

He was signed for 12million rising to 15million. As I said earlier in the thread, the wages of younger players will sky rocket as older players wages decrease. Clubs can't have it both ways, if they all want players with resell value and growth to improve the agents will cotton on to this and want wages to reflect their financial value to the club.

Whilst I agree with the principle about young players having too much to soon then if that was the case we shouldn't have put him in the first team on a regular basis. If the club didn't feel he was mature enough to handle everything that comes with that. Within the next few years the under 25's will be some of the highest paid players at clubs.

Edited by TheHitman

Pay him what he's worth. Right now he's one of our best players and his huge potential. Let's not lose him because we're reluctant to pay a kid a lot of money. He's better than Downing, Cole and a few other senior players and they all earn much more than he does. That doesn't seem right.

There are two simple components here.

Firstly, we need to be able to compete with rival offers- and that probably means £50k+ a week, with an escalator.

Secondly, what price would tempt FSG to sell , cash in their chips, and go again?

My view is straight forwards. We need to pay what it takes to keep him- and that is determined by the market. Selling your best players will never win you anything, so realistically, there is no prospect of an offer coming in high enough to warrant a sale.